The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which signal chain's better to follow my new Neumann TLM 103? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 18th January 2012
Gear interested

Which signal chain's better to follow my new Neumann TLM 103?

What's good, y'all? I'm looking for advice. I've got 2 different configurations in mind. Let me know what y'all think, if you would. Which is better, where's the money better spent. I'm upgrading all over and just got a Neumann TLM 103.

Here's what I'm looking at:

1. Neumann TLM 103 > Golden Age Pre 73 > Golden Age Comp 54 > Cubase

OR

2. Neumann TLM 103 > Universal Audio Solo 610 > Cubase

Money being a factor, I can't really afford to throw a compressor behind that UA 610, if I go that route. I know a lot of people say there's enough room at the top end with 24hz recording to use digital plugins exclusively for compression.

I like the idea of the tube preamp up front, but I also like what I expect from the analog sound of the Golden Age pre and comp units. Talk to me! Cheers..
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusted View Post
I know a lot of people say there's enough room at the top end with 24hz recording to use digital plugins exclusively for compression.
This sentence is leaving me confused yo

Anywho uhhhmm in my experience the 103 which I gotta admit I never liked thaaat much tends to have a really bad ringy sound in the highs when used with the 610! Especially when the gain is driven hard... In Clean its cool....

I got a modded Gap at the studio but I never used it with the 103...

If u get the gap get it modded
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Dude, I can help.

I own everything you're talking about here ... the TLM 103, a UA M610 which is the older version of the 610 you're talking about, and the GAP Pre 73.

For my voice at least, I LOVE the TLM through BOTH. End of story. And a lot of people dog on the TLM on GearSlutz, but the thing is, it really comes down to the voice behind it. When it works ... it works. What seems to work well is running it through a tube pre like the 610. The combo of the 103 and a nice warm tube pre is solid! They somehow offset each others "issues." And when I say issues I really mean the issues that people around here bring up. I haven't had any on either piece of gear.

The GAP Pre 73 is a really solid piece of gear and I think if you've got a good treated room, vocal booth, or anything that will help isolate the vocals, then you wouldn't be disappointed with the TLM and the GAP and you'd have some money left over.

If you're leaning towards the 610 and you wanna hear what I did with it and the TLM 103 you can go to my website and listen to any song ... Brian Ellefson ... My vocal chain for those songs was basically TLM to M610 to a Distressor and some 1176 compressor side chain.

Anyway, just like everyone else ... these are just my opinions and what's worked for ME. Take everything from everyone with a grain of salt and figure out what works best for you personally. 'Cause it's not always gonna map up with everyone else's ideals.

EDIT: I think what you meant above was ... there's plenty of headroom recording with 24-bit. No worries. I got ya. And to be honest, I've gotten really, really satisfying results using the IK Multimedia White 2A compressor (99 bucks). It's not gonna replace a real 1176 or a Distressor, but it's $99 bucks and pretty damn good for a plugin. I like their Black 76, too, and just like the real 1176 it adds it's own color to the signal. It, too, does a really good job as a compressor plug-in. SOOOOO ... I think you should go the GAP Pre 73 route with a nice compressor plug-in until you're ready to get more outboard gear. Like everything else .... In MY Humble Opinion.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

+1
If you are buying the 610 new I would get the 710 instead. I think they are the same price. The 710 will give you more options. I also wouldn't worry about a compressor if you don't have the money. You can always compress in the box. I've also heard some vox tracked with a 103. Same album, other songs with an u87. After my buddy finished mixing them, I couldn't tell the difference. 103 sounds good in my audiobook

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 24th January 2012
You might need a heater to melt the ice pick

Try something like a Blue Robbie.
Old 17th December 2012
Gear Head

Hey any update on which one you end up with plus results?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

I rock the 103 and the ua solo 610. Sounds like butter to me.
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Head

Yeah I'm buying the ua 610 with my tlm 103. I just have to wait till Friday and its on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997
Old 10th May 2017
Here for the gear

How did that 610 work with the TLM 103? I am sending back a channel strip I bought, the SPL Track One, because it is not sounding great with the TLM 103. I am stuck between the 710 Twin-Finity and the SOLO 610. Any suggestions would be great! Also, this is a time sensitive question as I only got 30 days to return the Strip.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

I don't know if it's true but I have heard the Golden Age Pre 73 and Golden Age Comp 54 actually don't pair well together. Maybe this has changed with newer models or it's just internet talk but it seems kind of strange that a company who makes good bang for the buck products wouldn't consider how they work together. I have not researched this for some time but that is what prevented me from buying the Comp 54 when it first came out, using a Pre 73 and I am happy with it.
Old 12th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
I don't know if it's true but I have heard the Golden Age Pre 73 and Golden Age Comp 54 actually don't pair well together. Maybe this has changed with newer models or it's just internet talk but it seems kind of strange that a company who makes good bang for the buck products wouldn't consider how they work together. I have not researched this for some time but that is what prevented me from buying the Comp 54 when it first came out, using a Pre 73 and I am happy with it.
Just FYI that was 5 years ago.
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceCold View Post
How did that 610 work with the TLM 103? I am sending back a channel strip I bought, the SPL Track One, because it is not sounding great with the TLM 103.
I'm not a fan of that mic, but many folks have said the 610 is the pre to use with it, in the sense that it seems to offset the mic's undesirable characteristics. There's probably a way to say the same thing with a more positive spin.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 12th May 2017 at 04:36 AM..
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which is better, where's the money better spent. I'm upgrading all over and just got a Neumann TLM 103.

Here's what I'm looking at:

1. Neumann TLM 103 > Golden Age Pre 73 > Golden Age Comp 54 > Cubase

OR

2. Neumann TLM 103 > Universal Audio Solo 610 > Cubase
Either one of these can sound better than the other one. Go with your heart, as there is no right or wrong answer as too which one sounds better. One can sound better in one room and the other can sound better in another room. That's how these things work. It also depends on your voice as well. There are so many different variables that go into things like this.

Just being real.

Cj
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceCold View Post
How did that 610 work with the TLM 103? I am sending back a channel strip I bought, the SPL Track One, because it is not sounding great with the TLM 103. I am stuck between the 710 Twin-Finity and the SOLO 610. Any suggestions would be great! Also, this is a time sensitive question as I only got 30 days to return the Strip.
I've used a 103 with an La610 extensively. I've always loved the sound of it for rap. Clients always loved it too. We used to have the u87 and 737 combo as well and clients usually liked the 103/610 combo better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search