The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Limiting Vocals Not Such A Taboo Act Anymore?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

This is a great thread, especially with the revisit. I run an 1176 rev a (20:1) into a SH mono optograph (7-10dbs) then I L1 it from 6 to 12 dbs. Sounds great and rides above the mix no problem.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I posted this 5 years ago. I've learned a lot since then. I don't ask what other people do now, I just listen for what sounds best. It took me awhile to get away from the idea of "rules." I notice my mixes got much better after I stopped listening to "rules." If a metal vocal needs 10 db gain reduction, so be it, none of this "no more than 3db compression" stuff.

I think those kind of guidelines are very useful when you're first starting out to get you on the right track, but at a certain point they definitely need to be left behind or they will hold you back. Just thinking about the 3db compression rule that gets cited a lot - 3db of compression sounds a lot different depending on what kind of compressor you're using, how fast the attack time is, etc.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search