The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stellar CM5 or Stellar CM6?
Old 10th December 2011
Gear Head

Stellar CM5 or Stellar CM6?

I'm about to buy a stellar microphone for christmas so I want to know which mic would have a more Warm and Vintage sound?

Stellar CM6

or

Stellar CM5

- Need one for vocals
Old 10th December 2011
Gear Head

Haven't used the CM 5 but I do own the CM6 and truly love it. It really helps lots for vocals that are too sibilant.
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

Check out the Shootout entitled hundreds to thousands female vocal. Both Stellars are featured.
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post
I'm about to buy a stellar microphone for christmas so I want to know which mic would have a more Warm and Vintage sound?
- Need one for vocals
...the 2 Stellar mics you reference have noticeably different voicings...definately check out that recommended shootout:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...-shootout.html
...although, while it's a female vocal, you can clearly hear the difference in the mics...the CM-6 is very natural/neutral sounding, with very clear and detailed upper mids and a smoothtop-end...it also has a nice proximity effect when worked closely, which adds some warmth and thickness to the vocal...

...the CM-5 has character, with a more prominent low-end and low-mids, good detail in the upper-mids, but less air and detail on the top-end than the CM-6...

...if you want a silky/shiny modern-pop vocal sound, the CM-6 is the better choice, but if you want a slightly darker, more vintage sound, you will probably like the CM-5 a bit more...both are excellent values, and both mics benefit from tube upgrades (but sound fine with the stock tubes)...
Old 13th December 2011
Gear Maniac

i read that the Stellar Mics are just 2 more re-branded Chinese Mics; the same as the Apex 460.....is that true?

If not, what are the differences?
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 13th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...they share little in common other than origin...there's lots of info pertaining to your question..."search" is your friend...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/produ...icrophone.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...r-cm5-yet.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...cm6-clips.html
That's great to hear as I have been pretty pumped about pulling the money together for this.

I think I will end up with both, but the mic sound I like is likely more vintage than modern (love the sound of Tony Bennett, Sinatra and those types of mic sound - although I am not a crooner....). Would you say the 5 or 6 is more appropriate?
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincrow View Post
That's great to hear as I have been pretty pumped about pulling the money together for this.

I think I will end up with both, but the mic sound I like is likely more vintage than modern (love the sound of Tony Bennett, Sinatra and those types of mic sound - although I am not a crooner....). Would you say the 5 or 6 is more appropriate?
...you can hear both in this shootout (on female vocals):

...the CM-6 is great for a more detailed, shiny modern-pop/R&B kind of sound, while the CM-5 has a beefier bottom/low-mids with a bit less air on the top, so if you're looking for a more "vintage" sound, the CM-5 may be more of what you're after...of course, with careful ITB treatment, both can deliver that vibe...at these prices, the pair is a no-brainer IMHO...

...also, keep in mind that tube-swapping can broaden the tonal options of these mics...check out this thread for the Manley Reference tube mic:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...nstration.html
...similar results can be achieved with the Stellar tube mics, depending on your tube of choice (more so with the CM-5 because it uses a 9-pin dual-triode of which there are many applicable variants)...
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...you can hear both in this shootout (on female vocals):

...the CM-6 is great for a more detailed, shiny modern-pop/R&B kind of sound, while the CM-5 has a beefier bottom/low-mids with a bit less air on the top, so if you're looking for a more "vintage" sound, the CM-5 may be more of what you're after...of course, with careful ITB treatment, both can deliver that vibe...at these prices, the pair is a no-brainer IMHO...

...also, keep in mind that tube-swapping can broaden the tonal options of these mics...check out this thread for the Manley Reference tube mic:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...nstration.html
...similar results can be achieved with the Stellar tube mics, depending on your tube of choice (more so with the CM-5 because it uses a 9-pin dual-triode of which there are many applicable variants)...
I've heard the samples, and I have to say that the CM-6 is VERY nice sounding mic.....it is showing as SOLD OUT on the website; how long will that last?
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincrow View Post
I've heard the samples, and I have to say that the CM-6 is VERY nice sounding mic.....it is showing as SOLD OUT on the website; how long will that last?
...generally speaking, the mics are back in stock within weeks, but I can't tell you when exactly that will be, you'll have to contact Peter at Stellar for that info: peter@stellarsoundtech.com
Old 26th November 2012
If anyone has a stellar cm-6 for sale pm me
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear

Where are people finding the stellar for $350 or so? their site is selling cm6 at $500. was the price raised?
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
Where are people finding the stellar for $350 or so? their site is selling cm6 at $500. was the price raised?
...that was the introductory price 4-5 years ago...
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
AFAIK that $350 price was more of an introductory thing when the mic was still relatively new and grabbing a lot of attention. It has been a while since then.
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
AFAIK that $350 price was more of an introductory thing when the mic was still relatively new and grabbing a lot of attention. It has been a while since then.
is it still fairing well ? even for the $500 price range?
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO, it's still worth the money in that price range. The Rode K2 for example, would cost you $200 more retail than the Stellar CM-6 costs buying it direct, and out of the box the K2 doesn't even come close to sounding as good for urban music.
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
...the CM-6 and CM-5 are manufactured in the very same facility as the well-respected Advanced Audio tube microphones...the CM-6
is essentially a modified version of the AA CM-47 ($735)...the CM-5 is a modified version of the AA CM12se ($845)...same build quality, same capsules, same quality transformers, tubes and metal-film capacitors, etc...maybe that will put the Stellar mic's value in better perspective for you:

Microphones - Tube condenser | Advanced Audio Microphones

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search