The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NT1-A or NT1000 for a deeper voice? Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear interested

NT1-A or NT1000 for a deeper voice?

Got an apogee duet and im selling my mxl v69 because it's too harsh with my vocals.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

If you're finding the mxl too harsh (by which I assume you mean too bright/aggressive) then I'd advise you to avoid the NT1-A at all costs ---- it's an insanely bright mic ---- if you have any hint of harshness or nasal-ness in your voice, it's def not the mic for you.
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
If you're finding the mxl too harsh (by which I assume you mean too bright/aggressive) then I'd advise you to avoid the NT1-A at all costs ---- it's an insanely bright mic ---- if you have any hint of harshness or nasal-ness in your voice, it's def not the mic for you.
Harsh as in deep and scratchy. I have a deep voice. I heard those mics would be good for me.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

If you describe your voice as "scratchy", I wouldn't recommend the NT1a ---- it has a very hyped, brittle-sounding high end ---- even though your voice is deep, the NT1a will prob tend to accentuate the scratchiness. Unless you have a very deep, VERY dark-sounding voice, the high end of the NT1a usually comes across as unnaturally-hyped and aggressive-sounding.

Of course, it could be just the ticket for you ---- at the end of the day, the only way you can know for sure is to demo it with your own voice ---- every vocalist is different. If you're dead set on one of the two mics that you named, I'd tend toward the NT1000 -- if you really can't demo them, at least try adn buy from somewhere that will accept a return if it doesn't suit
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
If you describe your voice as "scratchy", I wouldn't recommend the NT1a ---- it has a very hyped, brittle-sounding high end ---- even though your voice is deep, the NT1a will prob tend to accentuate the scratchiness. Unless you have a very deep, VERY dark-sounding voice, the high end of the NT1a usually comes across as unnaturally-hyped and aggressive-sounding.

Of course, it could be just the ticket for you ---- at the end of the day, the only way you can know for sure is to demo it with your own voice ---- every vocalist is different. If you're dead set on one of the two mics that you named, I'd tend toward the NT1000 -- if you really can't demo them, at least try adn buy from somewhere that will accept a return if it doesn't suit
What Mic would you recommend for a deeper voice? It's not scratch though. I swear i think you're going to say the sm7b.. Either it's just that good of a mic or it's a cop out.
Nothing against you thiugh.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik View Post
What Mic would you recommend for a deeper voice? It's not scratch though. I swear i think you're going to say the sm7b.. Either it's just that good of a mic or it's a cop out.
Nothing against you thiugh.
Without hearing your voice man, I can't make much of a useful recommendation. Sure the sm7b is a great mic (I use mine all the time) but it doesn't suit everyone's voice.
If you're doing rap, then what I would say is that it'd prob be worth trying out both an sm7b and an RE-20, as they can work really well on a lot of rappers' voices. But some people really do need a condenser --- if you wanted to go with a Rode, I'd suggest looking at the NT2, rather than either of the ones you originally suggested -- the NT2 doesn't have as much of a hyped top end.
But there are a lot of other possiblilties -- a few of the low/mid-price SE and AT mics are pretty nice too (even the lowly AT2020 is worth a look -- dirt cheap and sounds pretty damn good). Sorry if this is all rather vague, but like I say, without hearing your voice, I can't really be specific, nor can anyone else --- we can recommend stuff for you to try, but you really need to hear the results for yourself.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

The NT1a is good on voices that are "smooth". I don't know how to describe it but I am not talking about how you flow. More how you say your words, and not just pronunciation. I really don't know the right way to describe it. It works well on low voices and high voices that have the right characteristic.

Lets say you have a voice like Big Twinz from the Infamous Mobb (youtube him if you don't know him). He has a relatively low voice, but it's raspy as hell. It sounds good but this would not be the mic for him, or I am guess it wouldn't be, from my experiences. You can also have a low voice but sound a bit nasily, this will really show up with this mic. But if you sound like Rich Rich on Seasoned Veteran it may be a great match.

This mic is very clean and detailed. It's not just bright though, it harsh and very exposing on the high end. It is the only mic I have right now and honestly, it works pretty well on most people. The people it does not work well on, it doesn't work. That's why this mic gets such great, and such negative reviews. If it doesn't fit you, you are off to a new mic, if it does fit you, it's an incredible value.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Tbh I've owned one for 5 or 6 years, and it pretty much only gets used as a room mic --- I don't think I've ever had a vocalist where it's been the number one choice. Granted, it hasn't sounded terrible on all of them, but there's always been something else much more suitable.
Old 25th March 2011
Gear Head

I have a Rode NT1-A and have been thinking of selling it and buy a Mxl v69...
Do you want to switch mics??

Is it in mint condition? Mine is.
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
The NT1a is good on voices that are "smooth".
Smooth is definitely the word with this mic. The only vocals I ever cut using the NT1 that I liked was a smooth male soprano voice. It hasn't done anything great for rap, but then again I haven't recorded every rap voice out there. It wouldn't be my first choice for the type of voice you are describing.
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Smooth is definitely the word with this mic. The only vocals I ever cut using the NT1 that I liked was a smooth male soprano voice. It hasn't done anything great for rap, but then again I haven't recorded every rap voice out there. It wouldn't be my first choice for the type of voice you are describing.
This I must hear!hehhehheh

Peace
Illumination
Old 30th March 2011
Gear maniac

Having used an NT1 for years all I can say is find a 1272 or 1073 to smooth that nasty top end.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search