The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Bus Compression Techniques
Old 29th January 2006
Lives for gear

Drum Bus Compression Techniques

Hey guys. I've been trying to aquire more advanced mixing techniques for my 'hiphop' tracks.

Now based on some things that I've been reading, I've discovered that many hiphop engineers will bus several drum elements together and compress them. What is the reasoning behind this? Can you tell me about some experiences you may have had by using this technique?

Usually, I'll have some sort of break or loop beneath individual kicks, snares, or claps. Would I send the break and all the individual hits to a bus and compress them as a whole?
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

wow, nobody? I'm surprised.
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

hi friend

Im learning about too. I did read some guys compress subgroups of tracks through external tube compressor inserted. Lets see from friends here.
Old 31st January 2006
Gear addict

i've done it a few times. most of the time i don't like the result unless i'm going for an effect like slamming the drums through an 1176.

i use it a lot for other sounds though. to me, it just makes the drums sound a little too closed. it will def glue them together though
Old 31st January 2006
Gear interested

I've known a lot of mixers to do that....I tend to think it usefull to get some extra pop
out of the drums... sometimes i will send a combination of things to it ( bass, drums, perc., or sometimes mellodic elements ) watch the phase though....my fav compressor to do this with is a 1178 all buttons in or 2 1176s all buttons in...... distressors work good too.
Old 31st January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel
Now based on some things that I've been reading, I've discovered that many hiphop engineers will bus several drum elements together and compress them. What is the reasoning behind this? Can you tell me about some experiences you may have had by using this technique?
grab the new (FREE!) SSL talkback compressor plug-in and set it up as an aux send... that'll glue your drums together nicely and you'll see what the SSL thing is all about.

why an aux send? cuz it'll suck out all your bass if you use it as an insert...
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd world order
grab the new (FREE!) SSL talkback compressor plug-in and set it up as an aux send... that'll glue your drums together nicely and you'll see what the SSL thing is all about.

I've heard alot about that thing Wasn't it some sort of trick that Phil Collin's engineer stumbled upon? I guess there's only sone way to see if I'll like it...
Old 5th December 2007
Gear interested

NYC Compression technique

Ello mate. Yer talkin bout the NYC (or Paralell) compression thang. It's used to give yer beats (and other stuff too) fatness and make them sound bigger. Whether or not it's appropriate to the material you're doing is up to you, but it is a really good, tried and tested technique, used in rock as well as hip-hop.
There's a pretty good vid showing you how to do it here:
Mutant Audio :: Parallel Compression Tutorial
Check it out.

Take it easy..
Respect n all that

Rat
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Is it just me ? But when he brings in the compressed signal it's phasing with the original tracks ! Either he hasn't got PDC turned or this program which iv'e never seen before hasn't got it .... strange
Old 5th December 2007

This thread is from 2 years ago...
Old 22nd June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post

bump
How does one go about setting an aux send in cubase sx3? and would that also be considered as a "bus" signal?
Old 22nd June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbas View Post
bump
How does one go about setting an aux send in cubase sx3? and would that also be considered as a "bus" signal?
Pretend your compressor is a reverb your bringing up as an aux bus

BTW more and more plugs have a mix knob(Look at PSP) so need to even bus your comp, just insert it and dial in how much compressed signal your want with the original, easiest way to do this is to smack the crap out of your drums so they are pumping, muck around with the attack and release until you think you are getting the right crack out of your drums, then take the mix knob all the way down and then slowly increase it until you like the blend, remember not to over do it because your drums might end up sounding stiff , instead of hitting ...
Old 22nd June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Pretend your compressor is a reverb your bringing up as an aux bus
Well I think I figured it out, the ssl mic compressor really brightens up the signal with the bottom left untouched infact beefed up somewhat. I had this compressor for ages I just never used it on aux and the one time I used it was on master signal and I thought it cut the bottom end big time so I never used it again lol.
Thing is most of comp and eq's I tried on aux introduced phase, even some chorus/reverbs I think so I kinda like to avoid aux for those reasons.
Old 22nd June 2008
Lives for gear

o.k. if you are having problems with phase on your busses, try this, once your are happy with the balance of your drums, do a stereo bounce, and place them on their own stereo track, compress the hell out em and do the same thing as i suggested by reducing your fader on your bounced drum to zero and slowly raising it till you like the effect, this way you get your compressed signal and your uncompressed drums .....if you have decent PDC this should be no problem ...
Old 26th June 2008
Gear Addict

i like to bus my drums into 3 groups.... Low (kicks, bass, lo-end percussion) Mids-High Mids (percussion, snares, claps) and Highs (Hats, cymbals)

Compress the 3 groups to taste
EQ each individual track to Taste
Old 26th June 2008
Lives for gear

Yo

Ok..... this is what i figured out. For drums, i buss a compressor to a bus channel not a aux channel. Which sends a portion of that signal to a fresh track giving it more body by adding a few db to the signal. When you comp on a bus you are only comping a portion of that signal and in most cases this will preserve the dynamic range of the drums. Now keep in mind that each different kind of music sits different, sonically, in the spectrum. so often times adding a comp directly to the drums tracks may give you a result more custom to the type of music. I find that comping on a buss saves a ton of processor speed.

now for vocals i found that giving the lead vocal a compressor on its channel will allow for more flexible compression while sending the over dubs to a buss with a seprate comp with different settings will allow you to blend stacks of vocals together.

just remember that your drums wont hit right if the are not eq'd right.

try doing a a high pass filter on your kick at 20hz while boosting around 33hz by 3 to 5 db. fish from 33hz to 70hz untill the kick sits int the mix better.

run a high pass filter on your snare all the way back to around 100hz becarfull not to make it to thin. boost around250 hz to give it back its thud.

all this is doing is cutting out bands of frequencies in instruments that dont hit in those areas. when you have less of that mud floating in your mix everything sounds more glued together and sits visually in its own space.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search