The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pre amp plugins
Old 8th February 2010
Gear interested

pre amp plugins

Wasn't sure which forum to ask this this in, so i thought id try here.

Does anyone know of any good pre amp plugins?

mainly want to put synth bass through it.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

A plugin is software, a preamp only comes in hardware afaik.

If you are merely looking to emulate the characteristics of preamps, try out some saturation plugs. But a preamp is a piece of hardware. The plugin variety is usually called either a "saturation plug, tube distortion plug" something like that...

Luckily, you aren't the first one:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...p-plugins.html
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post

McDSP AC1
TriTone Digital ColorTone Pro
DUY DAD Valve

Those are ones I use and can vouch for... meaning they are pretty damn good.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
A plugin is software, a preamp only comes in hardware afaik.

If you are merely looking to emulate the characteristics of preamps, try out some saturation plugs. But a preamp is a piece of hardware.

Luckily, you aren't the first one:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...p-plugins.html

In before PSMs "are you fking serious???"
simple responses to simple questions are sometimes easier and more time efficient for everyone.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
simple responses to simple questions are sometimes easier and more time efficient for everyone.
mmmmkay thumbsup MY FAULT for being a semantics nit...
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
mmmmkay thumbsup
good
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

To achieve the correct response in the real world,you must use hardware preamps.
Do yourself a favor and buy q quality stereo pre that will sond great on any source you feed it.
Do a search for "pre amps"
There are MANY answers here on GS....
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear
If I'm not mistaken, Bootsy's BootEQ mkII has a flexible preamp simulation section. It's FREE.
Old 9th February 2010
Gear addict

redline, which was mentioned already, has a 60 day full demo.

you can check the 'new product' section here or do a search on the kvr forums for various methods people are using to add either character or extra 'whatever' to their tracks

there are other options other than preamp emulations for what you want, but checking out redline can't hurt as well as some free stuff from bootsie and jb's ferox (tape emu)
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

check out the new soundtoys "decapitator". this thing rules. it has not been fully released yet but there is a beta version available.
Old 10th February 2010
Gear maniac

Check out varietyofsound.wordpress.com and download Tessela LE (as well as ALL his other stuff...trust me) Not necessarly a pre-amp emulation but it has great saturation and tranformer alogs. I use it to softsynths and thin vocals a little more meat by adding analog character it imparts. PC only though...Also and maybe more so check out Nebula at acusticasudio.com...the free verison will take you a long into the analog domain if you got the patience for it. It uses a hardware sampling technology that is dynamic meaning it response to the signal the way the hardward that was sampled.
Old 10th February 2010
TOR
Gear Maniac

Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, bootsy's stuff is great. But Nebula pre-amps firm it. 112 db's pre plug is cool, but if you want the sound (or at least that sound imparted on top of the pre's your currently recording with!), nebula is the only way I know of to do it with organic finesse.
Old 10th February 2010

I love redline 112 db preamp, its very very good. you can make your tracks blend a lot better with this on every track.
Old 10th February 2010

You will never get all of the benefits of a high quality preamp from a plugin.

The only thing you can do is use some static distortion/ EQ models to try and impart a little bit of the character. But, it isn't remotely the same thing.

It doesn't take into account all of the other benefits. The actual preamp you tracked with is responsible for the sound you have. So, if you use a M Box preamp, it will still sound like it was tracked with a crappy preamp. It's like putting a Mercedes paintjob on a Ford Focus. At the end of the day, you still have a Ford Focus (no offense to the MBox using Ford Focus driving members).
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Tony, I wonder have you taken into acccount in your (spot on) post, if a super clean pre is used and then Nebula used to colour the captured audio.

This might be a winning combo. Especially if the guy already has a really clean pre and then $30 dollars can get you those preamp Nebula programs.

I'll be getting those Nebula progs soon and try that out, but since I dont have an all class A discrete component pre to compare it to I wont be able to compare the difference. If it sounds awesome well..... but then it will probably make me want the real deal even more. Damn.
Old 24th February 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
To achieve the correct response in the real world,you must use hardware preamps.
Do yourself a favor and buy q quality stereo pre that will sond great on any source you feed it.
Do a search for "pre amps"
There are MANY answers here on GS....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
You will never get all of the benefits of a high quality preamp from a plugin.

The only thing you can do is use some static distortion/ EQ models to try and impart a little bit of the character. But, it isn't remotely the same thing.

It doesn't take into account all of the other benefits. The actual preamp you tracked with is responsible for the sound you have. So, if you use a M Box preamp, it will still sound like it was tracked with a crappy preamp. It's like putting a Mercedes paintjob on a Ford Focus. At the end of the day, you still have a Ford Focus (no offense to the MBox using Ford Focus driving members).
FWIW - Both Tony and Philly are "technically" correct. But neither helped the OP by rehashing that tired mantra of "hardware is better".

GUYS, WE KNOW HARDWARE IS GREAT. Really, we get it. We WANT to own a sh!tload of vintage hardware, but eating is more important. heh

The point is that plugs can suffice in some instances. In fact, some of them are downright BRILLIANT! (Tried the Softube stuff?!)

To the OP:
+1 for the 112dB Preamp plug
But you may also be looking for a saturation plug to give "color" to the sound...in which case, I would also recommend URS.
Old 24th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeGee View Post
FWIW - Both Tony and Philly are "technically" correct. But neither helped the OP by rehashing that tired mantra of "hardware is better".

[B]GUYS, WE KNOW HARDWARE IS GREAT. Really, we get it. We WANT to own a sh!tload of vintage hardware, but eating is more important. heh
We aren't "technically" correct. We are correct... period. If you read my post closely, you will realize this is not a typical "tired" hardware is better argument.

Also, I own nearly every AU plugin on the planet. None will make something recorded with an MBox preamp remotely sound like a 1073.
Old 24th February 2010
Gear addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
We aren't "technically" correct. We are correct... period. If you read my post closely, you will realize this is not a typical "tired" hardware is better argument.

Also, I own nearly every AU plugin on the planet. None will make something recorded with an MBox preamp remotely sound like a 1073.
At the risk of getting banned for actually having an opinion....

I did, in fact, read your post closely. I try to do that will ALL the posts I read. But the OP wasn't soliciting a comparison between hardware and software. He was asking for a GOOD simulator.

That is MY point entirely. Hell, everyone here knows that you and some of the other better-outfitted vets have hardware and software falling out of every crack. But while we progress at varying levels, we have to make due with what we have.

Every third (worthwhile) question here is answered with some HIGH BUDGET response:
- "Hire a real guitarist"
- "Get a real string section"
- "You'll need a real preamp for that"
- "You can't make music with that! You need PRO Tools HD...."
Blah blah blah...

To give a future-looking answer without addressing the immediate need is like telling a hungry man to plant a garden so that ONE DAY he'll have food.

And given that you have nearly all the plugins, why not offer your opinion on which of THEM bests serves the OP's purpose?

I'm really not getting the HH forum sometimes....
Old 24th February 2010

Quote:
At the risk of getting banned for actually having an opinion....

I did, in fact, read your post closely. I try to do that will ALL the posts I read. But the OP wasn't soliciting a comparison between hardware and software. He was asking for a GOOD simulator.

That is MY point entirely. Hell, everyone here knows that you and some of the other better-outfitted vets have hardware and software falling out of every crack. But while we progress at varying levels, we have to make due with what we have.

Every third (worthwhile) question here is answered with some HIGH BUDGET response:
- "Hire a real guitarist"
- "Get a real string section"
- "You'll need a real preamp for that"
- "You can't make music with that! You need PRO Tools HD...."
Blah blah blah...

To give a future-looking answer without addressing the immediate need is like telling a hungry man to plant a garden so that ONE DAY he'll have food.

And given that you have nearly all the plugins, why not offer your opinion on which of THEM bests serves the OP's purpose?

I'm really not getting the HH forum sometimes....
The problem is you can't simulate a preamp. If you read my post, you would see that I explain why.... And how you can get close in some aspects (although it is still not the same thing).
Old 24th February 2010
Gear maniac

Nevermind...
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

URS offers "simulations" in their saturation and Console Strip pro plugins.
But...not to reiterate,there is no similarity betewwn a good hardware mic pre and even the best plugin on the market.
You cannot physically model the nuances of a genuine hardware mic pre.
Its like trying to model all of the nuances of your performer and digitize him/her into the netherworld.
If you can do that,please let us know!
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

This current vogue for virtual pre amps reminds alot of the antares mic modeller plugin, anyone who remebers it will recall that they basically claimed that running your vocals through it would turn your sm58 into a u87...did it work??..hell no, not even close.

To anyone who uses decent preamps the shortcomings of a virtual pre will be obvious, the whole idea behind a preamp is to boost your signal to a desireable level of volume and sound quality before it is recorded, any attempt to rectify a poor quality recording after the fact with a plugin strikes me as turd polishing.However i do believe that some of these new virtual pres may be able to add a pleasing colour to material that has been already recorded through a quality transparent pre.
Old 24th February 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
However i do believe that some of these new virtual pres may be able to add a pleasing colour to material that has been already recorded through a quality transparent pre.
I think many people are after that effect.

Let's not try to relegate EVERYONE to the "you can't record into a MBox and expect Neve results" category out of the chute. I get pretty good (transparent) recording with my MOTU gear. But sometimes, I am looking for that extra bit of character that it doesn't provide. That's why I checked out the Redline Preamp.

But it's a circular discussion to restate that perfectly modeling analogue gear is impossible. That's a given. But in the digital world, we can rate the performance of the plug-ins relative to THEIR character, color, and usability.

And, personally, I'd rather have a GREAT plug-in that is multi-faceted than a GOOD piece of hardware that might work.

@ Tony: I guess it's that "how to come close part" that I missed. That is still VERY vague to me. Really, I'm not interested in some kind of pissing contest. But, if there is a meaningful way to use the software option that can (when needed) approximate the result of using decent hardware, I am 100% ears and open to the education. (And I'm sure that I speak for a lot of other folks on the forum.) I'm not suggesting any spoon-feeding, but I'd be interested to hear how YOU have applied plug-ins in lieu of hardware when it was necessary (or requested).
Old 24th February 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
URS offers "simulations" in their saturation and Console Strip pro plugins.
But...not to reiterate,there is no similarity betewwn a good hardware mic pre and even the best plugin on the market.
You cannot physically model the nuances of a genuine hardware mic pre.
Its like trying to model all of the nuances of your performer and digitize him/her into the netherworld.
If you can do that,please let us know!
Point taken...but the OP's scenario is fairly common. Those plugs can add that extra "something something" that put the virtual instrument (synth or patch) into that sweet spot.

Do you (or any or your associates) use the plugs in that instance?
Old 24th February 2010

Quote:
@ Tony: I guess it's that "how to come close part" that I missed. That is still VERY vague to me. Really, I'm not interested in some kind of pissing contest. But, if there is a meaningful way to use the software option that can (when needed) approximate the result of using decent hardware, I am 100% ears and open to the education. (And I'm sure that I speak for a lot of other folks on the forum.) I'm not suggesting any spoon-feeding, but I'd be interested to hear how YOU have applied plug-ins in lieu of hardware when it was necessary (or requested).
Sure, I use plugins like the URS Saturation and Soundtoys Decapitator when appropriate. They will not give you the benefits of a good or great analog preamp, though. What they can do, is add some of the character aspects of certain analog hardware (to a degree).

But, I'm also not afraid to come out and use the real thing on soft synths, etc when needed.
Old 24th February 2010
Gear interested

cheers for all the responses.

looks like i got abit of an argument goin there haha.

basically i was after that colouring of the sound, or as one of you put it 'that little extra something something'. just wanted to make it sound a little less digital really and sometimes screw with the sound.

tried colour tone pro which im impressed with, gonna have a look at that redline pre amp and the nebula thing.

cheers
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search