The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
akai mpd drum pads mod?
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

akai mpd drum pads mod?

this goes out the the mpd users on here. if you are a owner of one of the mpd series controllers then you know the pads arent the most sensitive ones in the world. have you guys seen that modification for them on youtube which envoles opening the mpd up and puttin a few layers of electrical tape to fill the space between the sensor and pad? i bought my mpd24 at GC and it has a 2 year warrenty which im sure is voided if i go unscrewing and opening the thing up. so i just wanted to kno what degree of success ne one has had with this mod before i do it. anyone done this to there mpd? hell even mpk? is it worth the trouble?
Old 11th December 2009
wreckingstuff
These look better than tape under the pads, mad colours too, has anybody used them?

Akai MPC Color Pad Sets

Imo the mpd pads are wrongly maligned, they may be different to the traditional mpc pads, but that doesn't make them crap, just different. I suspect a lot of people hating on them have never tried an mpd, let alone an mpc, and it's just one of those 'heard someone say it, decided to subscribe to their view' things.

Have a look for the recent Marco Polo thread, in the video he can be seen giving a 24 a really good spanking, apparently unperturbed by the 'crap' pads...
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

i usually have my 24 set at full velocity so i get it to work great for me as long as i edit the velocities itb later on. apparently the mpds are made with a slight amount of space or air if you will in between the sensor and the pads. are you saying if i buy real mpc pads that this will fill that space? this error in akais manufacturing is why the pads are not so sensetive.
Old 11th December 2009
wreckingstuff
YouTube - Marco Polo Making Beats (Double Barrel Tuesday)

No I'm saying I'm not convinced there is an error in design or manufacture, it's a different tool and it's whatever you make of it.... But if you really really wanted 'more responsive' and / or 'more rubbery' pad feel, these mpc stuff replacement pad sets may be a better bet than sticking bits of tape on the sensors. Either way, if you **** up the mod you will have a quite expensive, warrantee voided bit of plastic on your hands.
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I have the MPD32 and the MPK49. The MPK49 Pads are horrible.

I bought an "Akai MPK Pad Sensitivity Enhancement Kit" off of Ebay.

Its basically rubber/plastic that fits snug between the sensor and the pads. Its works
great.

Now the pads have excellent response. I highly recommended it.

The seller ships fast too. I got mine in 3 days.
Old 11th December 2009
wreckingstuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elogical4now View Post
I have the MPD32 and the MPK49. The MPK49 Pads are horrible.

I bought an "Akai MPK Pad Sensitivity Enhancement Kit" off of Ebay.

Its basically rubber/plastic that fits snug between the sensor and the pads. Its works
great.

Now the pads have excellent response. I highly recommended it.

The seller ships fast too. I got mine in 3 days.
Nice one fella
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by statixx View Post
i usually have my 24 set at full velocity so i get it to work great for me as long as i edit the velocities itb later on. apparently the mpds are made with a slight amount of space or air if you will in between the sensor and the pads. are you saying if i buy real mpc pads that this will fill that space? this error in akais manufacturing is why the pads are not so sensetive.
You are exactly right !!!

It is the air between the pad and the sensor that is causing the problem. Buying new pads wont fix the issue unless akai changes the pad design.

Get the kit I posted earlier. Its $10 and worth every penny.
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Are the MPK pad the same size as the MPC1000 pads? I'm asking because I have the same problem on my 1000, and there's too much of a gap between the rubber pad sheet and the sensors. You can't do nuanced drum programming on the pads alone, and this kit might be what I need.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

thanks guys I did not know about this! I bought the kit and will post back the results..
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

There's a huge thread about this over on the Ableton Live forums. Works really great.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Oh wow, i'm buying the kit, too.

For single finger slamming of the pads, the mpk pads are fine out of hte box. But if you try to play with 2 fingers on one hand, it's almost impossible. Excited to try this out.
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Its really unbelievable that Akai would even let the MPK49 out the door with that type of lousy pad response.

I guess they use monkeys to test their products.

I come from an MPC background, but even a novice would notice the crappy response of those pads.

FYI - Take your time when installing the kit. There are ribbon cables that you could detach if your not careful.
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Maniac

thanx alot for the advice guys ima definitly go with the kit solution. besides sh!ty pad response i really like my mpd24 and i think its a solid midi controller. ima try and score this mpc2000 off craigslist for the low and even if i do im sure the 24 will still find its uses.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

A kit?

Man I went to Wally World and got some stationary circles (the colored dots). I put a stack of 8 under each pad in my mpc 1000. Problem solved. Nobody can see it. Result, super responsive pads, and no gap between pad and sensor. Feels just as sensitive as my roommates mpc 3000.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

haaaaaaa. jaeone ur ghetto as f#@&!!! =) I wouldn't have thought of that! that's some street cred right there.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Other folks use layers of tape, fill with silicon, etc.

It's pretty common knowledge over on the mpc forums.

I couldn't imagine paying any more than 1.00 for a fix.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
Other folks use layers of tape, fill with silicon, etc.

It's pretty common knowledge over on the mpc forums.

I couldn't imagine paying any more than 1.00 for a fix.
Yea really just about 10 cents worth of electrical tape is perfect. Here's that thread I was talking about on the Ableton Live forum. Anyone who's thinking about this should really check it out if they haven't read up much on the whole procedure.

Akai MPD and MPK pad mods - tips for better pad sensitivity
Old 12th December 2009
Gear interested

YouTube - Modifying the Akai MPD32 to have much more responsive pads with a simple fix

I did this to my MPD24 and it really helped! Screw the warranty! You can't really do much damage to the device. It's just a lot of screws that need to be unscrewed. And I wouldn't buy a kit. Electric tape does the job!
I just sold my MPD24 for an MPD18. Hope I can do the mod to the MPD18. Would make it a perfect drum controller! Finally Note Repeat!
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Maniac

word ive seen the video thats wat i was originally posting about. i think ima do the electrical tape route. btw isnt note repeat just a arrpigieator im pretty sure you can set that up on any controller.
Old 12th December 2009
Gear interested

note repeat basically is just an arp. but the main difference between faking note repeat and real note repeat is that with a real note repeat when you record 32nd notes for example every single midi note gets recorded.with a midi arp you only record one midi note.and to me it's a huge difference because if you have single notes recorded you can edit the velocity of every single hit and make a 32nd note roll groove.I know there are midi effects that can do similar things but it's just not the same. plus with an mpd that does note repeat you also get the mpc swing (50-75 %). If you're lazy like me it's just so much easier to create convincing drum patterns on the fly.
The MPD18 also does poly aftertouch so when you record a drum roll with note repeat on depending on how hard you press down the pad you can play the notes harder or softer.
This seems to be the best device Akai developed in the past few years.And for just 100 bucks....
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Addict

thanks!

Thanks for linking my forum post at Ableton and my YouTube video. Hope at least some of you find it useful!

-Chris
youtube.com/chriscauldermusic
Old 7th August 2010
Lives for gear

I will soon try the electrical tape mod!

But I have an issue. Arp and Note repeat on my MPK49 doesn't work anymore.
I don't know what the deal is, but the keyboard and pads go silent if I activate them.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
A kit?

Man I went to Wally World and got some stationary circles (the colored dots). I put a stack of 8 under each pad in my mpc 1000. Problem solved. Nobody can see it. Result, super responsive pads, and no gap between pad and sensor. Feels just as sensitive as my roommates mpc 3000.
Sorry to jump into the discussion ,

But i've got an MPC3000LE about two weeks ago and it has some strange
double triggering of samples on all pads when played with one finger...
not when hit with two or pressed in very softly...

So i have opened up the MPC3000LE , took out the pads and checked the pads sensors - they were all super clean and look like new...
cleaned them anywhay - but it didn't solve the problem :(

There is no any Pad velocity sensitivity problem - the pads are very velocity responsive , sensitive and playable - its just the " double triggering " that occures on some random pad presses or hits that is annoying :(

Also I have noticed that there is definitely a small gab between the inside of the Pads and the sensors - 'cause i can just press any pad in till it touches the pad sensor... you can see it in this youtube demonstration video i've just made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLFq2By_E-s

any idea what causes that - the sensors, the gab , the pads?
Old 15th September 2010
Hobbs_Won
I cut squares of electrical tape and stacked them on the sensor board of my MPD before I swapped out my pads altogether for the softer MPC pads.. It works.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
I cut squares of electrical tape and stacked them on the sensor board of my MPD before I swapped out my pads altogether for the softer MPC pads.. It works.
You can buy new pads for a MPD? So itll fit the standard MPC pads into an MPD? How much were the replacement pads? Is one of colored pads for like $25 the ticket?
Old 15th September 2010
Hobbs_Won
Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
You can buy new pads for a MPD? So itll fit the standard MPC pads into an MPD? How much were the replacement pads? Is one of colored pads for like $25 the ticket?
Yep,

I got mine from here

Akai MPC Pad Set ( Yellow )

I got a red set though on sale.. I paid 20 at the time.. My boy swapped out his MPD pads with his stock MPC pad set as well.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

The MPD 18 is the one im talking about.

Not sure if they fit the MPD18 - that website doesnt have that model listed. Maybe someone knows the breakdown on that. There might be no size difference at all beteween an MPD 16 and MPD 18 - I dunno.

If they all do fit for each other, looking at that page, Im gonna have to get the White replacement pads and likely spray paint the pads red, gold, n green. A lil' rasta MPD would look rather sick

Yup....
Old 15th September 2010
Hobbs_Won
I'm not sure... isn't the 18 the newest release? I'm sure a quick email to support over @ MPC Stuff could tell you.. They might have not updated the site is all...

They sell the 18 though so I'm sure they would be able to tell you.
Old 19th September 2010
Gear interested

Whas up room,

Just purchased mpk 61. I followed instructions on pad mod on youtube with the mpk 49. It said to unscrew all screws in the indentations. I did that on the mpk 61 and the cover wouldn't come off. Has anyone modded the pads on a mpk 61. Holla at me in this forum.

Playitbyear Music.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
The MPD 18 is the one im talking about.

Yup....
That's doope!

I might get an MPD but I think I'd have to open it up and put weights in there so it would feel more like an mpc.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search