The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what mic(s) does Kanye use
Old 15th May 2009
Lives for gear

what mic(s) does Kanye use

Anyone familiar with the mics Kanye records into?
Old 15th May 2009
Lives for gear

i've seen him with a u87 i don't know if he uses it exclusively though. mike dean or ken lewis would know more details (they're here under their exact names) maybe you could shoot either gentlemen a pm they're kanye's go-to engineers
Old 15th May 2009
Gear Addict

Hey this is from sound on sound mag

Kanye West's 'Through The Wire' would have been a challenge to any engineer. The track was about the serious car accident that left the artist's jaw wired shut during the recording schedule. "It does sound unique, yeah — it's hard to sing when you can't open your mouth," Marroquin chuckles. He used a Sony C800 condenser microphone to take advantage of the Sony's higher sensitivity under the circumstances, but running it through his usual signal chain of a Neve 1073 EQ and a Tube-tech CL1B compressor straight into Pro Tools.

Hola
Darren
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

thank you for the information
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_town View Post

Kanye West's 'Through The Wire' would have been a challenge to any engineer. The track was about the serious car accident that left the artist's jaw wired shut during the recording schedule. "It does sound unique, yeah — it's hard to sing when you can't open your mouth," Marroquin chuckles. He used a Sony C800 condenser microphone to take advantage of the Sony's higher sensitivity under the circumstances, but running it through his usual signal chain of a Neve 1073 EQ and a Tube-tech CL1B compressor straight into Pro Tools.

Hola
Darren
Yep..no "rocket science" here.
Old 16th May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Yep..no "rocket science" here.
I heard he's using one of those new Rap mics into a Hip Hop pre...y'know...the ones they keep talking about on Gearslutz
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

Everybody knows it's all about 'da boof'!
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

Everyone has at least 1 U87 so that's automatic.

C800G, ELA M251.... mics that are probably too expensive for you to consider.
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
I heard he's using one of those new Rap mics into a Hip Hop pre...y'know...the ones they keep talking about on Gearslutz

Where can i get that Hip Hop Pre?
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
Where can i get that Hip Hop Pre?
Joes Pawn Shop over on East 63rd and Dicks
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh my God, I know you're kidding, but that's the most hilariously brilliant idea ever.

Make a Hip Hop Pre and a Country Pre and a Rock Pre, etc.

The one thing I've learned from GS is that people believe what they read from strangers on the internet. That is what passes for research these days. It's astounding to me every time, but it's proven over and over.

So all you'd need to do to bring these products to market would be to invent a character nobody's heard of, and have them assert (with post 1, natch): "OMG, I love the Country Pre! It just has a certain twang to it I can't find anywhere else..."

...and then another person chimes in "You can take my Hip Hop Pre out of my cold, dead fingers. Nothing else has that flow. It's like a 1073, but with more boom bap. Nah mean?..."

And then count the dollars as they start rolling in.

- c
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Everyone has at least 1 U87 so that's automatic.

C800G, ELA M251.... mics that are probably too expensive for you to consider.
Not a fan of the U87, not yet at least, wasnt happy with it last time I used one.

I can afford any mic on the market, the question is if it would make sense to use in a currently untreated environment. I need to step up my work space prior to buying something like that. Then I can consider better comp, pre and mic. However, one thing I know as fact is it's not the environment, it's the people IN the environment that determine greatness from subpar results. Nice gear does help. I like the sound Kanye gets out of his vocal chain.
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought i saw 1 ova by carols ave on 69th ?
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
They also have them over at Linda's Used Audio Emporium over on West Bunghole ave... Across the street from Larry's Chicken & Grits...
Old 20th May 2009
Gear addict

I know at some point, Kanye records with AKG's. I remember a while back they announced he signed a contract with them to be a spokesperson or something, and part of the sponsorship deal was that they provided all of the equipment for his tour.

AKG has a thing on their website talking about big name artists that use their mics, and Kanye is one of them.

I saw an article about Kanye and AKG at the Grammy's as well... AKG made a press release about how Kanye and Neil Diamond used AKG for their performances, calling them "two great ambassadors".

Makes sense, since Kanye always has the sharp, clear, and dry vocals with the airy texture and bold mid presence... That's right up the alley for AKG...
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

the sony c 800

b4 that telefunkin
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

I know Kanye recorded into U47 and U87 in a studio I worked at, God knows what records were those, cause it has been so long ago, I know it was Late Registration album
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

I think he uses the U51 "Insecure" with the gold body into a Neve "My ego's so swollen I have totally lost it" pre, followed by a little squash from the "Pop Art" comp (also used by Pink Floyd).
Old 10th October 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_town View Post

Hola
Darren
Quote:
the artist's jaw wired shut
To bad it cant stay that wayheh
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
To bad it cant stay that wayheh
heh
Old 10th October 2009
Strange that you ask. I wondered the same thing myself one night so I just
hopped up on the stage and jerked it out of his hand. Looked like a Heil to me.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

It doesn't really matter which mic he uses as he totally screws up the voice with Autotune ... Autotune ends up replacing the core of the vocal sound so I don't think there is any point in wondering what he uses. Could have been recorded with a Realistic mic for all the crap sounding autotune. !
Old 10th October 2009
People still care about Kanye? I think his personality ruined his career.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Kanye uses Taylor Swifts Mic
Old 11th October 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

i've seen these being talked about on the secret forum on here. Have you heard them?
Old 11th October 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Kanye uses Taylor Swifts Mic
LOLLLL loved it!
Old 11th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
Not a fan of the U87, not yet at least, wasnt happy with it last time I used one.
Hey Darwin...

The one session I worked with Kanye, we used a U87 (vintage). It would have probably been going through a Vintech x73 then into a Manley VariMu.

When you tried a U87, was it an original U87 or an Ai? In my opinion, the U87Ai is crap, compared to the originals. They are really hard to find though, no one is getting rid of them for good reason.
Old 11th October 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Gabriel View Post
LOLLLL loved it!
ROFL he sure does
Old 11th October 2009
Lives for gear

No thread is complete without Chris Lago in it.

This thread is now complete and may be closed.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search