The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting Sounds to sound like Samples?
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear nut

Getting Sounds to sound like Samples?

This may sound like a weird question, but do you guys have any tips on getting sounds (especially horns and strings) to sound like vinyl samples? Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear
You can also do kind of what you're making it sound like.. Playing the "sample" piece, arrange it and mix it somewhat, making it sound like a record. Maybe overdo it a bit so it sounds real gritty. Then sample it.

I rarely sample anyone but myself. I work in a beatmaking team, and sometimes I arrange a piece with some piano, strings, bas and maybe a little percussion, and leave it up to my partner to sample it and make the beat. Challenge eachother a bit with those kinds of assignments. You can easily do it on the net as well, if you don't have a real life sparring partner to work with.
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Or do a search and find loads of responses for what you want to do.

This topic has been raised loads of times - even quite recently.
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbeat View Post
This may sound like a weird question, but do you guys have any tips on getting sounds (especially horns and strings) to sound like vinyl samples? Thanks.
Run your sounds out into your tracking room(if you have one) and set a mike or two about 6 feet back to capture some air.
Buy Speakerphone from Audioease.
Go through the myriad pf possibilities and find one you like,or as previously mentioned,Izotope Vinyl.
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Buy a 12 bit rack sampler for cheap.

Take your recorded music, and speed it up about 6 semitones in any DAW or editor. Sample it at this speed into the 12 bit rack sampler. Pitch it down 6 semitones in the 12 bit rack sampler. Record back into your DAW or whatever you use for recording.

Should be a bit dirtier.
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear
Use a sampler that can bit crush!
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

A sampler with a adjustable rates is cool, but any of the newer samplers that have a "bit reduction" feature just sound corny in my opinion.

For example my mpc 1000 with the JJ OS has a bit reduction where I can convert a sample to 12 bits, but it doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as my sp-1200, s950, or even my 16 bit eps16+ on lower rates.
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
A sampler with a adjustable rates is cool, but any of the newer samplers that have a "bit reduction" feature just sound corny in my opinion.

For example my mpc 1000 with the JJ OS has a bit reduction where I can convert a sample to 12 bits, but it doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as my sp-1200, s950, or even my 16 bit eps16+ on lower rates.
No, the Sp12 is magic, and we all know that. There is really nothing that sounds like it, which is why guys like Mannie Fresh still resample into that thing before finishing a beat.
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear nut

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll try out some of the tips here. Also I have a really nice Fender Reverb Guitar Amp coming in the mail this week. Maybe I'll try running some of my sounds through that and then rerecording them.
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Run your sounds out into your tracking room(if you have one) and set a mike or two about 6 feet back to capture some air.
Buy Speakerphone from Audioease.
Go through the myriad pf possibilities and find one you like,or as previously mentioned,Izotope Vinyl.
Man, I love Speakerphone, great plugin, just wanted to say that!
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

true words!!! if you want vinyl sound --> use vinyl!!! and work like the old school producer, no recycle or other toy ****. damn, i hate those threads.. every week the same..
Old 26th January 2009
Gear nut

Quote:

For most DAW samplers I'd agree but you owe it to youself to check out our Morgana. I won't spam this topic with marketing blurbs but to quote one of our customers: Morgana reminds me so much of the sound of the Mirage it's scary.

Take care,

-- dj!
Old 26th January 2009
Gear addict

well if you don't have my beloved eps or eps+/asr 10 or a s900/950 (always found it kind clean, imo, but i hear you can find them cheap now) or sp12/1200...

you can add these to the other things mentioned

otiumfx sonitex

the tried and true, and hard to find, odaku effect and/or it's easier to find odaku effect 2

colortone pro or nebula 3, both have 'sampled' samplers (goldbaby has a mpc60 one for colortone pro)

or run **** through an amp or reamping, especially bass and keys/pads

there's so many ways if you have the time and inclination
Old 26th January 2009

Dubplates
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj! View Post
For most DAW samplers I'd agree but you owe it to youself to check out our Morgana. I won't spam this topic with marketing blurbs but to quote one of our customers: Morgana reminds me so much of the sound of the Mirage it's scary.

Take care,

-- dj!
My father and I both tried your software. It's cool. It's definitely one of the better emulations I have heard, but I could hear some differences naturally. I am not knocking your product. I thin it is great, but I have 12 bit samplers, so I don't really need to bother with any emulation.

Most of these other bit reduction/crusher plug ins I hear are a joke though.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
My father and I both tried your software. It's cool. It's definitely one of the better emulations I have heard, but I could hear some differences naturally.
Thanks much! There's bound to be some differences, as we found out no two Mirage's sound identical even. For development we teamed up with a number of Mirage owners and didn't stop until they agreed that Morgana sounded like a Mirage--not necessarily their particular Mirage.

But glad to hear you liked it.

Peace,

-- dj!
Old 27th January 2009
Gear addict

wow that iZotope Vinyl sounds AMAZING, i just downloaded it and some of the presets there really give you that dirty sample feel.
I've been looking for this kind of thing for a long time, thanks.
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

yeah, you gotta add tape effects (massey, VW, etc), and amping effects (guitar amp pro, guitar rig etc), but honestly it's more to do with the way you play it
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

+1 Morgana.

Sounds great and is a well designed piece of software.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search