22nd September 2008
Lives for gear
New Linn Drum II Design / Info ... SEXXXY!!
Roger Linn Design
what i know:
Two versions will be available. $1000/1500 one is just for drum sampling like an MPC and the other will have 4 voices dedicated to prophet 8 synth engine if im understanding that correctly. the first sold through Roger Linn Designs, the other through Dave's company...
2008 is no longer the release "date/timeframe" ... early 2009 Linn is quoted as saying in his NAMM interview (youtube)
- Operating system is optimized for realtime live performance, with the ability to switch between beats, drop in and out of record on different beats, switch in and out of song mode and much more, all without stopping play.
- Digital voices have nearly the same signal and modulation path--including modulated filters and resonators--as shown on the LinnDrum II Analog panel. Total number of voices is not yet determined.
- 16 standard 1.1 inch square velocity- and pressure-sensitive drum pads, assignable to sounds, tunings, beats, track mutes, sound mutes or sequence steps.
- Both MPC-style real time and 808-style step recording are provided, and the 16 pads are backlit for visual animation.
- Real-time stereo digital effects on output mix--modulated multi-mode filtering, guitar amp model and bit/sample rate reduction distortion, modulated resonator, compressor, delay, reverb and EQ--with 6 dedicated on/off keys to switch them individually in or out in real time.
- Compact flash slot for data save/load/backup, or for expansion of internal sound storage.
- Internal RAM and flash size is yet to be decided; at least 16 mbytes for each.
- 128 x 64 dot graphic LCD.
- USB port for transferring samples and other files, MIDI messages and audio I/O to and from computer.
- 4 pushbutton soft knobs below the LCD, acting either as soft knobs or soft keys.
- 48 lit buttons for extensive real-time performance control.
- 2 sliders assignable to a large variety of real-time functions.
- HELP key gives descriptive text for any screen, data field, function key or knob.
- Pressing DETAILS key followed by any panel key presents a screen of settings related to the key pressed.
- 2 pairs of stereo outputs, with phones output fed from either pair.
- Stereo inputs for sampling, audio processing or triggering sounds.
- MIDI in and out.
- 2 inputs for either foot switches or expression pedals, assignable to a wide variety of functions.
- Four complex analog voices based on the same Curtis-chip synth voices used in the highly-aclaimed Prophet '08 and Evolver keyboards.
- Four direct ouputs for the four analog voices.
- 27 dedicated dual-function rotary encoders for voicing the analog and digital voices.
Linndrum II Analog Drum Machine
more info/source on price:
Create Digital Music » LinnDrum II: Former BoomChik Gets More Delayed But More Mature
Needless to say, I'm super excited about this and will probably buy it sight on seen or get a pre-order the moment that's possible. Ive exchanged a couple emails with Roger regarding the project but nothing substantial, nothing "scoop worthy" ... Ill add to this as I acquire more information.