The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sampling To and From a Cassette Deck
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Sampling To and From a Cassette Deck

I’m interested in buying an old cassette deck to record my beats to tapes, and then back into my daw to add a little dirt. I also want to be able to sample tapes. Anybody know any old cassette decks with a lot of character? I want something that sounds dirty and colored, so a cheap old deck should work fine. Thanks!
Old 4 days ago
DAH
Lives for gear

If you want mushy then fine.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

any deck will work for the task.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Yep cheap is the word! Goodwill
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Technics RS 263 us is an awesome deck (no mushiness here!!!) that can be found for cheap too.If you want it to sound cheap use a cheap nasty old cassette.

Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

I would watch for old Akai Tapedecks with GX heads. I know you said "dirt", but the GX heads are nearly indestructable and the more expensive ones (back then) have about the best tape saturation if driven hard I ever heard. GX95, GX75, GX65. These machines were very close to Reel To Reels in audio quality. They all have 3 heads so they allow you to directly get the recorded signal (behind tape control). This was a feature used back then to control directly what really was recorded, not just the incoming signal. Separate recording and playing heads are necessary for this feature. So with a few miliseconds delay, the output of the tape recorder would give you the recorded signal with all the effects of tape. You don't have to record first, rewind and play back.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search