The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Little Things
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The Little Things

Been fighting with getting my quality right for YEARS. Every time I think I got it, I hear a pro release and compare it to mine, and go right back to the drawing board. Well all that's changed over the last 12 years! Finally got the quality I have been looking for.

What does it boil down to? The Little Things.

The right tools, the right mic, right pre, right compressors, right interface, right sounding room, right mic technique, accurate monitoring, knowing how to mix, knowing how to master, knowing how your room translates, the right loudness, the right tone, not too harsh, knowing what your going for, Wow!

I spent a probably month this year TRIPPING over mic placement and the right tube, wondering if I need a new mic. Bought a whole new studio and returned it just to find The mic with the second tube I had was perfect. Now I got the eq right. The reverb right. Loudness right. Wow!

Its like learning to cook you need to really get the recipe down! Once you got it, you got it!

Just did a track on a just blaze beat! Came out fire! It's the little things! (Plus a just blaze beat cant hurt)
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
The mic with the second tube I had was perfect. Now I got the eq right. The reverb
That's great to hear that you are finally getting results you desire and that your mixes are staying true to the song mang! I'm happy for you.

I can't tell if you're saying you 'got the eq right' in general, or in reference to your vocals.. but You really shouldn't eq vocals.. Not much if any. If you need to eq your vocals you should probably just try using a different mic.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
That's great to hear that you are finally getting results you desire and that your mixes are staying true to the song mang! I'm happy for you.

I can't tell if you're saying you 'got the eq right' in general, or in reference to your vocals.. but You really shouldn't eq vocals.. Not much if any. If you need to eq your vocals you should probably just try using a different mic.
Yes, it is in reference to my vocals. my recording space isnt perfect. So in my case need EQ to fix the sound, not much I can do. Still, most vocals will need some EQ. Even if recorded well. My favorite engineers all use some eq on their vocals when I read the sound on sound articles about their #1 hits. But your right, the mic should have "that" sound from the beginning, which mine does. Carefully selected my chain over the years I've spent recording and trying to figure this stuff out
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Amen brotha! This applies to producing also. I’ve been downloading top 40 pop instrumentals and dissecting the tracks. There is so much detail you don’t pick up when the vocals are over the tracks. It was a huge wake up call for me on how much I still need to learn.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search