The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What did J Dilla Record on?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

What did J Dilla Record on?

anyone know? I can't figure out what he's holding on the album cover of 'Jay Stay Paid'
I'm assuming that's what he'd take in the hospital w/ him.

RIP DILLA
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

hes holding an MPC3000LE, is probably his most iconic piece of gear he was known for using
Old 3 weeks ago
Pro Tools.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

allegedly he used the sp303 in the hospital
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am not the foremost Dilla expert. I know much of his work was done on the MPC 3000. I don't know if he used it extensively before he got sick but he is also known for the SP-303. He, who followed in his footsteps didn't use one piece of gear exclusively like a lot of NY dudes. His technique was more important than the gear. I am not saying that is wrong of other producers as well, but you can hear the MPC60/S950 in Primo's music, you can hear the ASR 10 in ALC's most popular music. Kind of like Large Professor, but in a very different way, you really don't know what they are using. For example, when Large Pro switched to an MPC 1000, it sounded very vintage still, I think a lot of that had to do with the samples he had around from other machines, possibly the mixing, but it didn't sound "modern" when he switched.

That said, from all the hardware I have used, I always still sound like me at the end of the day, not a bad thing, but the gear doesn't translate into someone else who used the same. I suggest finding the gear you really like and taking what you like about other people's styles and make it your own. That doesn't mean I recommend using, say, FL's step sequencer to do Dilla stuff, it isn't his technique, but the sound can be done in FL, you just need to think like him.
Old 3 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
I am not the foremost Dilla expert. I know much of his work was done on the MPC 3000. I don't know if he used it extensively before he got sick but he is also known for the SP-303. He, who followed in his footsteps didn't use one piece of gear exclusively like a lot of NY dudes. His technique was more important than the gear. I am not saying that is wrong of other producers as well, but you can hear the MPC60/S950 in Primo's music, you can hear the ASR 10 in ALC's most popular music. Kind of like Large Professor, but in a very different way, you really don't know what they are using. For example, when Large Pro switched to an MPC 1000, it sounded very vintage still, I think a lot of that had to do with the samples he had around from other machines, possibly the mixing, but it didn't sound "modern" when he switched.

That said, from all the hardware I have used, I always still sound like me at the end of the day, not a bad thing, but the gear doesn't translate into someone else who used the same. I suggest finding the gear you really like and taking what you like about other people's styles and make it your own. That doesn't mean I recommend using, say, FL's step sequencer to do Dilla stuff, it isn't his technique, but the sound can be done in FL, you just need to think like him.
the biggest problem with FL I have experienced is capture timing both with the playback latency-induced timing and bar start\end **** when the note intended to be at the start does not register the end OFF message. for mixing - FL all the day.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Of couse!!! Thank you for your response!
I'm well aware of how transparent Dilla was when it came to production. Dude had an amazing ear.
He would do some pretty complex stuff (especially when it came to filtering) but the end result was always so simple that you'd be like "oh! I could do that!" And get frustrated trying lol

I just want to know what his process included. All of it if possible. Imo he is the greatest to ever do it.
Fun fact: I feel like mAny people dont know that he and Seba Jun (nujabes) were born on exactly the same day on opposite sides of the world. Coincidentally, they both passed away in the month they were born from totally different reasons.

I have always looked at Dilla and nujabes as two sides of the same coin ever since learning that. Two totally different approaches.. Two great ears for sampling... Two entirely different, incredible sounds. Whereas Dilla always pumped out work that people knew was intentional.. and rocked to.. Seba' s work wasnt originally accepted by the public, as they were under the impression that his approach and final result were not intentional. Of all the great hip hop producers out there.. (and i promise you that i am learned in the hiphop field) these two are my absolute favorite. I just want to know everything THEY thought was dope, ya know?
Peace, and ty for all responses
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
allegedly he used the sp303 in the hospital
I've learned he used the 303 and the 1000. Pretty sure Dre used both as well earlier on
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
I've learned he used the 303 and the 1000. Pretty sure Dre used both as well earlier on
never heard about him using the 1000 or dre using one of them. dilla used an electribe tho
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The 1000 wasn't available early on. It didn't come out until '05.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bino_5150 View Post
The 1000 wasn't available early on. It didn't come out until '05.
Youre right. I heard that from an unreliable source. Thanks bro
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Kind of like Large Professor, but in a very different way, you really don't know what they are using. For example, when Large Pro switched to an MPC 1000, it sounded very vintage still, I think a lot of that had to do with the samples he had around from other machines, possibly the mixing, but it didn't sound "modern" when he switched.
same way as you see him using the Renaissance on Rhythm Roulette and it still just sounds like Large Pro....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Actually not J Dilla, but this brand new episode of Rhythm Roulette features Jazzy Jeff. Even this luminary DJ from back in the days just uses Ableton Live in its simplest form nowadays. And once again: it's not the tools (even though they can offer a shortcut sometimes)

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
Actually not J Dilla, but this brand new episode of Rhythm Roulette features Jazzy Jeff. Even this luminary DJ from back in the days just uses Ableton Live in its simplest form nowadays. And once again: it's not the tools (even though they can offer a shortcut sometimes)

Why hasn't anyone thrown his ass out the front door?!?!? Haha dude looks totally different. Ive always been a fan of his. Great ear as well. Thanks for posting this brother. Very cool stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Why hasn't anyone thrown his ass out the front door?!?!? Haha dude looks totally different. Ive always been a fan of his. Great ear as well. Thanks for posting this brother. Very cool stuff.
I recognized that he is using some special or new version of Ableton Live not seen by the average beta tester yet afaik. Could be some pre-release of Ableton Live 10.
Look at the browser and the clip coloration at 04:16.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Bate View Post
same way as you see him using the Renaissance on Rhythm Roulette and it still just sounds like Large Pro....
How do you know that he didn't use his old gear when he made his own sample pack ? Also, these producers still use hardware compressor, preamp, perhaps their sound come from these hardware..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by French_Dope View Post
How do you know that he didn't use his old gear when he made his own sample pack ? Also, these producers still use hardware compressor, preamp, perhaps their sound come from these hardware..
Do you know what Rhythm Roulette is?

YouTube it and watch the episode I'm talking about . . . Looks like he's running Rokits straight out the back of the Renaissance interface . . .
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Bate View Post
Do you know what Rhythm Roulette is?

YouTube it and watch the episode I'm talking about . . . Looks like he's running Rokits straight out the back of the Renaissance interface . . .

Yes I know, and they usually don't say where their sample come from (I talk about drums and bass), and there is a big difference between what we ear when they made their beat, and the final beat at the end of the video. So, you don't know if they use or not 12 bit sampler and hardware which give their sound
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I don't hear anything particularly special about the sound of his drums.....you can hear the individual hits and you can see him put the loop together. The you can see him building in the samples from the records....

I think maybe he was running it on one of the Renaissance vintage modes and possibly had Renaissance compression on certain things....but other than that I don't think Large Pro is that bothered to go running about slamming all his samples into old gear, hardware compressors or pre-amps to trick people....

that studio looks pretty grimey and basic to me....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not the foremost Dilla expert. I know much of his work was done on the MPC 3000. I don't know if he used it extensively before he got sick but he is also known for the SP-303. He, who followed in his footsteps didn't use one piece of gear exclusively like a lot of NY dudes.
this is it - a lot of those guys mixed it up and were trying all sorts of gear to stay ahead of the game.

In the Behind the Beat book he also had one of those Korg Electribe valve samplers on his desk near his 3000.

He had a HUGE console in his basement too - can't have hurt either!!

Quote:
Kind of like Large Professor, but in a very different way, you really don't know what they are using. For example, when Large Pro switched to an MPC 1000, it sounded very vintage still, I think a lot of that had to do with the samples he had around from other machines, possibly the mixing, but it didn't sound "modern" when he switched.
Personally I can hear quite a big sonic difference between Large Pro’s early work like ‘The LP’ album and his more recent albums. I’ve seen him live in London a few times, and the older tracks have mere heft and low end.

His early work we are talking SP1200 (with S950?) tracked mixed on large consoles I’d imagine as there wasn’t much other option back then. While at Geffen he must have had a big console (plus tape) to play with, even before then the Breaking Atoms LP wasn't done on the cheap either.

Later it was ASRX (didn’t he use ASR10 for a bit too?), MPC1000 at some point, and in more recent albums they may well have been all mixed ITB. All those albums are fantastic (big fan) but sonically there IS a difference for better or worse. Compared to 'The LP' I hear a smaller sound stage, less depth, less warmth. But the tracks are still great, and maybe the Beats headphone generation isn’t gonna care any how….

Also, if you took those tracks to the right mastering engineer that could add something extra to those tracks, regardless of what they were made on.

Last edited by SEED78; 1 week ago at 12:58 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Dilla produced his beats on the MPC 3000 mainly. He recorded in his homestudio on 3 linked Alesis ADAT recorders through a Soundtracs Topaz mixer, up until he bought a PT HD rig. Later on he also used the MBOX when he moved to Cali because of health issues. His later stuff, like Jaylib etc was directly mixed in PT and then mastered. His earlier classics tho, like Fantastic Vol.2 and Welcome to Detroit were brought to "Studio A Recording" in Detroit via the ADAT tapes and then transferred to the Sony/MCI 2inch tape machine, from which they mixed it through the SSL E Series board. Todd Fairall was the engineer in charge. He also mixed a lot of Dwele and Slum Village stuff, as well as Wajeed and PPP. There is actually a video on YT, where you can see Todd Fairall dumping older Dilla recordings from tape to PT for archiving purposes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Dilla produced his beats on the MPC 3000 mainly. He recorded in his homestudio on 3 linked Alesis ADAT recorders through a Soundtracs Topaz mixer, up until he bought a PT HD rig. Later on he also used the MBOX when he moved to Cali because of health issues. His later stuff, like Jaylib etc was directly mixed in PT and then mastered. His earlier classics tho, like Fantastic Vol.2 and Welcome to Detroit were brought to "Studio A Recording" in Detroit via the ADAT tapes and then transferred to the Sony/MCI 2inch tape machine, from which they mixed it through the SSL E Series board. Todd Fairall was the engineer in charge. He also mixed a lot of Dwele and Slum Village stuff, as well as Wajeed and PPP. There is actually a video on YT, where you can see Todd Fairall dumping older Dilla recordings from tape to PT for archiving purposes.
Very cool. Thanks for the info brother! Also, dope rjd2 quote. I own like 5 of his albums.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very cool. Thanks for the info brother! Also, dope rjd2 quote. I own like 5 of his albums.
have you read the RJ Q&A thread on here? its fantastic!!!

Audiophile hiphop heads were amazed by what mixer 'Deadringer' was mixed on
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post

I havent! Thanks for letting me know though def gonna check it out now. Deadrinver wasn't my fave but his production is always on point do I'm sure it will fascinate me regardless. Magnificent city is up there on my list
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post

Can you link it 4 me? Can't seem to find it on the QandA page
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search