The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am i a Mixing Engineer?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Am i a Mixing Engineer?

Well guys I've been making beats since 2011 after my high school graduation. Over the years I've learned what i really takes to not only just make a beat with drums, a sample, synth, snares, ect.... but that i must mix each element as correctly and clean as possible so its enjoyable for the listeners, and ready for the artist to record to, then master. Since i now use a macbook pro,logic pro X, and i mix every single element myself , i really am pushing to be an equal mixing engineer as well as producer. So since stating what i really do behind the boards, am i also considers a mixing engineer. I only as because i want to gauge feedback and opinions of those who really love and know music, and who also who may have more knowledge than i do.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
Can you solve physics problems mathematically? Do you know the fundamental theorem of calculus and how to apply it to acoustic measurements, electronic circuit analysis, music theory, real-time algorithms for software, etc? I would say you are a mix technician or mixing artist. An engineer is an engineer. The guys in white lab coats from EMI that built and operated custom gear for Abbey Road in the 60s were engineers.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovonniGupton View Post
Well guys I've been making beats since 2011 after my high school graduation. Over the years I've learned what i really takes to not only just make a beat with drums, a sample, synth, snares, ect.... but that i must mix each element as correctly and clean as possible so its enjoyable for the listeners, and ready for the artist to record to, then master. Since i now use a macbook pro,logic pro X, and i mix every single element myself , i really am pushing to be an equal mixing engineer as well as producer. So since stating what i really do behind the boards, am i also considers a mixing engineer. I only as because i want to gauge feedback and opinions of those who really love and know music, and who also who may have more knowledge than i do.
Technically speaking, if you are attempting to balance your tracks, you could call yourself a "mix engineer." It's like any other trade... the skill level can vary greatly.

I think when most people hear the term "mix engineer", it implies that the person is doing it commercially.

Have you also mixed vocals? And have you done it for other people at all?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Audio Engineering is a skilled trade IMHO, with years of training and expertise required.
I think you may be on your way there but I would stick to producer for now.

A professional race car driver is not an Automotive Engineer, but it's still a very respectable position to be in!
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

First, a mixing engineer is a career title, IMO, not a skill set. But, that said, most people who create instrumentals also mix them down. They also often mix tracks they make. If you do a great job, and it's commercially viable, sure, you are.

At the end of the day, it is a big difference to make yourself happy and someone else happy. When I first selling beats, I found what I liked, and what many other people were willing to buy were not the same. Similarly, with mixing, I found that the mixes I did (which I wasn't charging for), did not meet the requirements of higher level clients I had, but they were more than happy to record at my place, they just wanted to mix elsewhere. So, I only sell beats, and may offer vocal tracking, but I only do a quick, rough mix for them to take elsewhere. I could improve on my mixing, surely, but it's one of those things where the amount of time it takes me, vs what else I could be doing simply isn't worth it. Now, I am perfectly happy about how I mix beats, but what I can't get is full songs nearly as dialed in. I can't get the volume I want, even though it can be argued that is a mastering issue, to get an acceptably loud mix, I often end up throwing off the balance, or making things sound to compressed. I personally don't have that finesse.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovonniGupton View Post
Am i a mixing engineer?
No.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
boombapdame's Avatar
@GiovonniGupton if you have to ask, you're probably not. Do yourself a favor and focus on what you are good at for now.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovonniGupton View Post
Well guys I've been making beats since 2011 after my high school graduation. Over the years I've learned what i really takes to not only just make a beat with drums, a sample, synth, snares, ect.... but that i must mix each element as correctly and clean as possible so its enjoyable for the listeners, and ready for the artist to record to, then master. Since i now use a macbook pro,logic pro X, and i mix every single element myself , i really am pushing to be an equal mixing engineer as well as producer. So since stating what i really do behind the boards, am i also considers a mixing engineer. I only as because i want to gauge feedback and opinions of those who really love and know music, and who also who may have more knowledge than i do.
Listen brother,

If you ask an amateur hockey player if they're a hockey player.. they'll tell you they are. So what..? One day they make the NHL and start representing Bud Light, so only THEN can they accept being called 'a hockey player'???
Hear some of these guys out when they tell you about sound production, but please take my advice and don't pay them any mind as far as their ego is concerned.
If I produce, mix, and master my own music, I would be at least a 'sound engineer' before any other 'title'. As far as "Mixing Engineer'' goes, I personally don't believe it should be dictated by money (whatsoever)

So.. lemme get this straight.
A guy produces/mixes/masters his own music for 20 years.. decides to get "properly trained" and certified.. and mixes a track for Shakira.. and Only THEN is he a mixing engineer?

That sounds f*cking ridiculous.

Don't listen to their egos bro. Many of them are in constant competition with each other over who gets the next Taylor Swift credit. lol (a real lol)
Don't lose sight of what YOU believe. And don't let anyone know what you believe to be 'success'
Money and credit don't determine who you are.

If you know in your heart what you are, and never lose sight of it.. You will surely be whatever that is.

~Fresh Produce
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

It isn't about ego.

I can and have built quite a few studios from the ground up.

This has required me to take on the "role" of...
Architect
Structural engineer
Site manager
Land Surveyance
Carpenter
Mason
Electrician
Acoustic engineer
Etc....

While I am accomplished in all these fields and can give plenty of guys who have dedicated degrees in each area more than a run for their money.....

I am none of the above.
I am highly competent in those areas - more so than many "professionals " in all those areas. I know that because I interact with many on a daily basis and end up informing many of them of better methods or more current information than which they are operating.

But again I iterate..... I am none of the job titles above.

I am a recording and mix engineer who has acted as a producer on a lot of projects. I am those by working definition because that is my profession from which I earn my main source of income.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

An addagĂȘ to this is that a dilemma started occurring 12 or so years ago with the advent of the "bedroom producer".

With a laptop and an Mbox/focusrite saffire etc...
Sundelly everyone with a DAW and some crap mics was declaring themselves an "engineer" or a "producer".

This quite rightly errked many people who had spent time " earning their dues" within the accepted paradigm of that era.

It also pissed them off because a lot of stuff coming out was absolute dog turd and there was a public perspective drop of the industry professionalism.

So we end up with a dichotomy between the true and established peer taught, reviewed and paid as a job engineer and the modern bedroom producer non peer reviewed "artist" model.

There are many other fluctuations in between.


No body can tell you who you are or what you want to be. But the reality of this world is that to be accepted in a particular role or light, then others must perceive you to be so.

To ask if you are something, means that others will question whether you are that thing.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Here for the gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
An addagĂȘ to this is that a dilemma started occurring 12 or so years ago with the advent of the "bedroom producer".

With a laptop and an Mbox/focusrite saffire etc...
Sundelly everyone with a DAW and some crap mics was declaring themselves an "engineer" or a "producer".

This quite rightly errked many people who had spent time " earning their dues" within the accepted paradigm of that era.

It also pissed them off because a lot of stuff coming out was absolute dog turd and there was a public perspective drop of the industry professionalism.

So we end up with a dichotomy between the true and established peer taught, reviewed and paid as a job engineer and the modern bedroom producer non peer reviewed "artist" model.

There are many other fluctuations in between.


No body can tell you who you are or what you want to be. But the reality of this world is that to be accepted in a particular role or light, then others must perceive you to be so.

To ask if you are something, means that others will question whether you are that thing.
Well said, sir.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Here for the gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
It isn't about ego.

I can and have built quite a few studios from the ground up.

This has required me to take on the "role" of...
Architect
Structural engineer
Site manager
Land Surveyance
Carpenter
Mason
Electrician
Acoustic engineer
Etc....

While I am accomplished in all these fields and can give plenty of guys who have dedicated degrees in each area more than a run for their money.....

I am none of the above.
I am highly competent in those areas - more so than many "professionals " in all those areas. I know that because I interact with many on a daily basis and end up informing many of them of better methods or more current information than which they are operating.

But again I iterate..... I am none of the job titles above.

I am a recording and mix engineer who has acted as a producer on a lot of projects. I am those by working definition because that is my profession from which I earn my main source of income.
I'm not sure what exactly "working definition" is. By definition, if you produced tracks you were paid for.. then you are also a professional producer, hence.. a "real producer". With all due respect, I'm not concerned what you were or weren't paid for. If you produced a track, you are a producer by definition. My point is, just because YOU deem something valid based strictly on commercial value (or money) that doesn't mean that someone who does it STRICTLY for the love of it isn't the same beast you are. lol
Sure, you may be much more skilled. Hell.. the bedroom producer may never acquire a sound anywhere NEAR that of a professionally trained ear..
So then.. why does it even matter? If not for ego, why bother wasting the breath on telling someone "well.. unless you went to school for it, you can't call yourself what you are/aspire to be." ??
I've heard commercial mixes that are laughable, and home recordings that are impressive.
If your credentials are as exquisite as you say they are.. then awesome! I say that if you can lay down a carpet better than any carpenter I know.. then you're a carpenter.
I shoot a hell of a pool game. One pocket.. straight pool.. 9 and 8 ball. Ect. I've played with some of the best rated players in the world. Just because i couldnt beat those guys on big money circuits.. that doesnt make me any less of a pool player. That's just not my #1 calling. But I still play from time to time because I love it.
Do you get where I'm coming from? Would you wanna be the guy who tells a kid hes "not something" at a time in his life where he needed direction? We tell kids there's a fat white man who climbs down their chimney one night a year, but if they want to label themself "engineer" and have the courage to learn what it's all about.. you shoot them down and tell them straight up that what they believed in was wrong? You, nor anyone else should have that right. I don't give a %$@# how much money Pepsi paid you for a well produced, cheesy jingle. (Please note that not all of this rant is directed at you, my friend.) Some of the snotty responses I've read make me sick. We are artists. All of us, beyond anything else. Before any other title. We love and appreciate art. And we should never stop learning. No matter how much we may think we know.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Cgbravo's Avatar
 

This guy will never post here again jeez.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Yes you are......

The minute you apply changes to recorded audio.....you're mixing.

The level of experience and accuracy however is a different story.

So what makes you a professional?
Being able to finish great mixes in any environment.... in a decent amount of time.... because you understand what sounds and frequency's behave like.

So....are you an engineer? Yes

Are you a good one? Only your work can answer that.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Here for the gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
Yes you are......

The minute you apply changes to recorded audio.....you're mixing.

The level of experience and accuracy however is a different story.

So what makes you a professional?
Being able to finish great mixes in any environment.... in a decent amount of time.... because you understand what sounds and frequency's behave like.

So....are you an engineer? Yes

Are you a good one? Only your work can answer that.
Well Said Sir.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Nut
First, You screwed up by not attaching an MP3 - a 15 sec A/B mix would've told us if you have skills or not!

Quote:
Producer - Mixing Engineer - Song Writer
Secondly take this off your INSTAGRAM BIO! You're advertising 3 diff skills when you don't even earn a living from either one! If you met someone on the street, wouldn't you tell them what you really do for a living and mention you've been practicing beatmaking, mixing and writing in your spare time? No different than the girls on Instagram pretending to be "models".

Secondly I listened to a beat on your Soundcloud yesterday (looks like you deleted it, but it was called LOVE)

I could tell right away you weren't a professional producer cause the bassline was Awkward (tone-wise) the notes changed too frequently, and one of the notes were also out of scale.

Forgive me 4 playing armchair psychologist but I see this all the time - young guy in his mid 20s has trouble selling beats and starts coming up with "business" and "marketing" and "jack of all trades" schemes. Alot of times it's:

AHA...after I sell them the beat, I'll upsell them on mixing services!!

You typed alot of gibberish that is characteristic of hobby artists - doesn't matter what year you graduated high school (or even graduating at all) No one cares that you have a $1k Apple Laptop cause after 7 years even if you were working in the McDonald's kitchen, you should of been able to purchase an array of Keyboards. And also, no one's expecting you to have an SSL, but you could have atleast got a decent used Mixing Console from a pawn shop or something.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
this post!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump