The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mpc live or push 2 or Maschine studio
Old 8th August 2017
Here for the gear

Mpc live or push 2 or Maschine studio

ive been wanting to get stuff to make beats for years and now im finally going to start getting the stuff i need. i mainly am producing hip hop beats and i was wondering what hardware should i get. im deciding on either the Mpc live, Push 2, or the Maschine. i mainly use logic and i messed around with ableton and it seemed a little confusing to me. im really torn on which to get the mpc live has been getting my attention but i thought id ask around first before i make my purchase.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Only you can really answer this because they all have different workflows and you have to pick the one that fits you the best..
Old 8th August 2017
Here for the gear

im new to all the hardware im only familiar with logic
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

I would get the MPC Live.Its standalone (old school) and its all in one package.Overall i think it will be more simple than ableton too.
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Maniac
Actually all three of these are primarily software packages with hardware controllers. MPC Live is able to operate without a PC, but you'll still need one to use VSTs or do any post or mixing.

I'd pick up a Maschine Mikro and learn the workflow on that. They are dirt cheap, and you get a phenomenal sound library and Komplete Select included. Even if you find you don't like the workflow, the library and software are well worth the price of entry. The Mikro can do everything a Studio can do, just not as easily, and you can always upgrade later. I hardly use Maschine these days, but I use Massive and the sound library constantly.

Ableton is a really great DAW, and when paired with Push & Session View, its an absolutely unlimited creative performance tool capable of everything Maschine or the MPC can do, and then much more. I found that Ableton was very intuitive and straight forward to learn. I use Ableton and the Push 2 exclusively these days. It is the heart of my studio, which includes total integration with a bunch of external hardware.

I haven't used the MPC Live, but I can tell you it's going to boil down to workflow preference, just like your other options. If you are going to work in the box with a PC, their are better options. If you want to stay out of the box, then the Live isn't your best option either... maybe the MPC X or an older standalone unit?
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

If you are used to Logic stick to Logic, you gain nothing by using any of these.

Get an iPad with a bunch of apps for away from computer programming/jamming, Maschines software is ridiculously out of date, Akai is barely standalone and its software is tied to a paradigm that is arguably done better by buying an old MPC for less money second hand, and Push 2 means using Ableton Live, which is the only viable option of the three, but Logic is still way better than Live.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
If you are used to Logic stick to Logic, you gain nothing by using any of these.

Get an iPad with a bunch of apps for away from computer programming/jamming, Maschines software is ridiculously out of date, Akai is barely standalone and its software is tied to a paradigm that is arguably done better by buying an old MPC for less money second hand, and Push 2 means using Ableton Live, which is the only viable option of the three, but Logic is still way better than Live.

Agree 1000 percent except the part of logic being way better lol but Logic is a great DAW and if your just starting and your already familiar with logic you should stick with that.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Way better as in, costs less and he already knows how to use it
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Way better as in, costs less and he already knows how to use it
Agreed!
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This IS sound advice. Making beats can be done in any daw. Now with that said...here is a question for @miker301..... are you simply wanting a piece of hardware so that you can "play" the parts in to Logic? If so, I highly recommend the Maschine controllers.

I have the Mikro Mk2, BUT if I were you I would get the middle size Maschine controller as you will eventually wish you had the control knobs at the top. The Mikro does not have those knobs and since I use Komplete Ultimate, it would be nice to quickly access the NKS mappings that are built in to almost all of the NI libraries. As for the feel of the pads, I have the Push 1 ( I tried the Push 2)I also tried an mpc controller a while back and NOTHING beats the feel and response of the Maschine pads. I have been playing electronic drums/percussion controllers for many years and that is my opinion.

Also, using Maschine as a plugin in Logic might really give you the best of both worlds. I will admit that when I want to create edm or hip hop stuff, it just seems more "authentic" and easier in Maschine. So, I have been using Maschine with Cubase 9 and it is really a great work flow. The Maschine stand alone software is okay as well and if you prefer to work in the stand alone and then mix in Logic, all you do is load the Maschine plugin in to a project and then from the Maschine GUI simply open the project you created in stand alone. I recommend you check out some YT vids on how to integrate Maschine 2.0 with Logic to get a better understanding.

Good luck,

fb
Old 10th August 2017
Here for the gear
Maschine forever!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Personally i hate (like really dont like at all) using a daw for making beats.I had touch and that was a breeze.But im mainly a hardware bro.
Old 16th August 2017
i bought maschine.. im not the biggest fan. i use it here and there. mostly logic pro though
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear

I use and love Ableton and a Push 2, also love using a Maschine studio as well, however, if youre used to Logic, just stick with it, its more than capable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
I've gone down these paths before and always return to Ableton and Push. I love Logic for mixing/automation and wanted the "Push" type of workflow in Logic, so I tried Maschine and MPC Live. At the end of the day, I catapulted back to Ableton/Push.

From my vantage point, folks tend to be "meh" about Maschine, whereas Push users are rarely "meh" about Push (see other comments above, folks always say they love Push). I certainly do!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

While I agree that Ableton is more powerful than Maschine, the Push pads really suck. And they are totally dependent on the instrument you wish to control. The feel for an Abelton piano is totally different than for an Ableton bass. And forget any kind of real linear feel with Push and using piano vst's. Personally, I am a bit pi$$ed that the Maschine Jam does not include touch sensitive buttons. If it did, I would use it with Maschine and Ableton and use my Push for mood lighting.

fb
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

logic is better than maschine dont get maschine imo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
...and use my Push for mood lighting.

fb
I love Push but I still lol'd at this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I recommend the mpc live, especially since you're already proficient in logic. The reason is two fold, 1. the contrast is exactly what is missing in your current experience and you could well find out after you've become as proficient on the mpc as you are in logic that the mix of both worlds/ a hybrid system is the best way to approach production in the end.
2. the mpc live is unbelievably powerful within it's deceptively unassuming form factor, but when you gather some inspiration together (samples you want to work with) and take the mpc live to a comfortable place (which could be anywhere) and zone out with it on your lap it's value will click with you. It's not just that it's portable, it's what it brings to that portability and how it all integrates together. Here is an example... an iPad is portable as well, and on an iPad there are a myriad of apps available to use, but doing a whole session on an iPad feels light years behind when it comes to fluidity of workflow on the mpc. spend 2 hours on an iPad doing a session and you will likely feel frustrated, do the same session on an mpc and you will likely feel rejuvenated. When it comes to writing songs this aspect of the machine just can't be overlooked.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Utter tosh
The MPC Live is nowhere near as portable or usable as an iPad, that is confirmation bias nonsense, the MPC Live is massively restricted when portable, and when not portable it is a glorified MIDI controller.

For the cost of that overpri ed tosh you could buy an MPC1000 JJ and an iPad running a myriad of apps that make that Inmusic garbage look like what it is, a cash grab from fanboys who will pay for anything with Akai and MPC screen printed on it.

The internet is full of complaints about those units, you can even go see that here, buying one at the current price would be stupidity, buying one at the current price and being a beta/alpha tester who is ignored by the developers anyway, please !!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

first of all , I have one that works flawlessly, this is in spite of the people who've had well documented issues here on the forum, secondly you didn't really read or if you did then you didn't comprehend what I said.... or you wouldn't have said "nowhere near as portable or usable as an iPad"....
look, I don't give a F about you, but there is no reason for us not to be civil. If you're really interested in debating what I actually said, then I'd be interested in the conversation, otherwise...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Utter tosh
The MPC Live is nowhere near as portable or usable as an iPad, that is confirmation bias nonsense

I don't think you know what that means

Let's get back to providing OP with opinions directed at the gear and not at other's opinions of said-gear.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker301 View Post
ive been wanting to get stuff to make beats for years and now im finally going to start getting the stuff i need. i mainly am producing hip hop beats and i was wondering what hardware should i get. im deciding on either the Mpc live, Push 2, or the Maschine. i mainly use logic and i messed around with ableton and it seemed a little confusing to me. im really torn on which to get the mpc live has been getting my attention but i thought id ask around first before i make my purchase.
I have all three of these machines and before you waste your money - please know that Native Instruments Maschine Studio is BY FAR my favorite.

First of all, Akai had major problems with some of their newer digital MPCs (ie, the MPC Studio). A salesperson at Guitar Center AND Sam Ash said that the MPC Studio was the most returned controller. I'm sure the MPC software is worth most of that money, but if you're going to go for an MPC I would suggest saving up for the real deal: the Renaissance or even the new MPC X which has both digital and analogue elements. The only reason why I would see someone buying a digital MPC is because they are used to that software and the device.

Ableton Push is fine and dandy, but functions more as a kind of universal controller for Ableton - NOT a drum machine. I spent a pretty penny on a (used) Push 2 and have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed. Some aspects about it even made me miss the old APC 40. The Push is fine and can do alot within the software, but drum-wise I wouldn't even put it in the same league as the Maschine or MPC.

For almost 85% of all my production, I rely heavily on the Maschine Studio. The sound is great, drums hit at amazing levels and it is extremely powerful when it comes to sampling, effects processing and arranging. It is fully digital, but I find that the sounds are constantly being updated for use in all genres, as well as new genres like trap or future bass. It is worth every dollar and is the best piece of equipment i own.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

How about the new Mk3? How does Maschine stack up to say ableton in terms of being a general controller/sequencing gear/sampling external sources? I'm learning my way through the free JJOS on an MPC 1000 right now, but feeling more each day that I'd like to get back into Ableton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizzaaii View Post
I have all three of these machines and before you waste your money - please know that Native Instruments Maschine Studio is BY FAR my favorite.

First of all, Akai had major problems with some of their newer digital MPCs (ie, the MPC Studio). A salesperson at Guitar Center AND Sam Ash said that the MPC Studio was the most returned controller. I'm sure the MPC software is worth most of that money, but if you're going to go for an MPC I would suggest saving up for the real deal: the Renaissance or even the new MPC X which has both digital and analogue elements. The only reason why I would see someone buying a digital MPC is because they are used to that software and the device.

Ableton Push is fine and dandy, but functions more as a kind of universal controller for Ableton - NOT a drum machine. I spent a pretty penny on a (used) Push 2 and have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed. Some aspects about it even made me miss the old APC 40. The Push is fine and can do alot within the software, but drum-wise I wouldn't even put it in the same league as the Maschine or MPC.

For almost 85% of all my production, I rely heavily on the Maschine Studio. The sound is great, drums hit at amazing levels and it is extremely powerful when it comes to sampling, effects processing and arranging. It is fully digital, but I find that the sounds are constantly being updated for use in all genres, as well as new genres like trap or future bass. It is worth every dollar and is the best piece of equipment i own.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoji View Post
I'm learning my way through the free JJOS on an MPC 1000 right now, but feeling more each day that I'd like to get back into Ableton.
Check out BeatMaker 3, best of both worlds
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker301 View Post
Get the MPC Live. You get that great MPC sequencer that's tight plus the functions are lovely! You can get busy in STANDALONE OR WITH THE SOFTWARE!!! You get the best of both worlds and you get high quality effects and Air instruments for free.
Keep your Logic when you finished your music in the MPC live you can make stems and drag and drop them into Logic.

Oh don't forget you can sample on the MPC Live and X. If you get the X it has 48+ phantom power and get this, the converyers on both MPCs are top notch. I am shocked at how good they are.

Effects are good and super good in the software.

An ipad lol is almost laughable to put it in the same light as a MPC Live or X. Smh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
An ipad lol is almost laughable to put it in the same light as a MPC Live or X. Smh
"Laughable"? You're crazy. The software expansion capabilities alone brother... -see below- The touch sensitivity of the screen vs pads is a marked improvement over every MPC I've owned. If you've worked with iPad music apps in the past you should re-investigate because it's come a long way. Big price difference too. I paid like $550 for my Pro 10.5" new. I'm able to plug my audio interface right into it netting me 24 channels AD/DA I/O, with 8 I/O of MIDI out of the gate. Or I can just walk around town with a thin 10" x 7" screen under my arm and stop to make beats on a park bench.

https://audiob.us/apps/page/1-3
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17326/ios-auv3-list
Inter-app audio – iPad Music

You'll see full iOS versions of the same VST plugins in those lists at a fraction of the cost which is another perk.

It also doubles as a tablet.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

here's my 2c

1) As others have said, if Logic is you DAW of choice, learn it front to back and produce using it. The reason there's no great drum pad type controller to accompany Logic is because Logic is a Apple product and they aren't in the business of making music gear. If you're simply producing, look at an Akai MPK249 which actually has drum pads on it that will be a midi controller for Logic

2) If on the other hand you're talking about live performance then you might look towards the MPC or Maschine. Full disclosure, I'm an Ableton user and have Push 2 and I'm a big fan of it when it comes to programming. My downside for it is that if I were to perform live with it, the pads are too small. Think about all the people who use these types of things live. Disclosure uses Akai, Phantogram has a Maschine, Jamie XX use MPCs (2). I be one of the first things they would says is that when they're dropping samples is that the pads are large and makes it less prone for a mistake.

So my overall rec is an Akai MPK249, especially since you said Ableton confuses you. If you're heading to the park or coffeeshop to make beats then I'd say look at the MPC.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Daw Ableton Logic = tape recorder

Push MPC Digitakt toraiz Maschine= instruments

iPad = sketchpad/ sound module

there are no wrong answers and all of these definitions are interchangeable, this is where your particular preferences come into play, you've gotta tailor the whole experience to your liking. The best advice is make it as personal as possible, if you want to put a synthesizer on the ceiling then do it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
Daw Ableton Logic = tape recorder

Push MPC Digitakt toraiz Maschine= instruments

iPad = sketchpad/ sound module
This app blurs all those lines. I'll leave this here

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search