The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will Somebody PLEASE tell me how to do this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Will Somebody PLEASE tell me how to do this?

Ok, at this point, I’m just getting pissed off. How in the hell does Partynextdoor (PND) get his damn vocals to sound like they do? I’m not talking about his singing ability. I know there’s autotune on it, I know there’s reverb, I know there’s delay. He has some kind of bit crusher or distortion on it and I can’t figure out how to replicate it. I’ve tried band restriction and it doesn’t work. I’ve tried videos and they’re all trash. None of them replicate the effect.

Does anyone here know how this guy does this? I’ve heard Tory Lanez have a similar sound and maybe Quavo.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Come on guys, no one? I’ve been here for damn near 10 years and no one can answer this? I’m not a noob when it comes to music, but I’m not the best mixer and it would be lovely if one of my fellow gearslutz could tell me how this is done, or hell, showing would be even better. I have no problem getting the vocals to be clear, my problem is that no matter what I use to distort the vocal, it’s either too much or too little. I was thinking of a pre-fader bus send but I don’t think that would work. Is he dropping the sample rate or something? Some kind of phase? I’ve tried the Kanye 808s style distortion and reduced the amount but even at the lowest level, it’s still too much.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Step one in asking strangers to help you, make it easy for them... Provide a youtube link that starts at the timestamp of the specific sound/effect you're trying to achieve so people can click and figure out what you're talking about.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also...unless someone was actually there while the track was being made, NOBODY will be able to tell you what ACTUALLy was done in the process. Also I don't know of a serious Pro who gives away mixing info for free, apart from the basics, otherwise how we going to get paid???
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I can provide the link, but he sounds relatively the same in every song. Although, in this particular one, the effect is not as strong.

https://youtu.be/MA0Htg-2rtg?t=57s
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Honestly doesn't sound that complicated and you've outlined most of the components in your post already.

If I was sitting down to do this, I'd experiment with Autotune / Reverb / Delay / Compression / Doubler / Saturation (I don't think bitcrusher/distortion are really what you want here, sounds pretty clean to me).

Remember you can use multiple tracks /busses / all FX don't have to be global

Unfortunately I don't have autotune or I'd offer to take a stab at the raw vocal, but I'm pretty sure the above will get you there.

And I'm assuming you've tried this, but looking up the producer and searching for interviews or just hitting them up on twitter can get you what you need...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
Also I don't know of a serious Pro who gives away mixing info for free, apart from the basics, otherwise how we going to get paid???
Check out the Genius "Deconstructed" Series
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
Also I don't know of a serious Pro who gives away mixing info for free, apart from the basics, otherwise how we going to get paid???
There are some notable older pros online currently doing just that...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The partynextdoor preset on the Fruity Filter duh.
Old 1 week ago
Not sure how accurate this is, but I found this in my travels online
Attached Thumbnails
Will Somebody PLEASE tell me how to do this?-untitled.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Why bother trying to sound like someone else? Seems pretty pointless to me. I dont even know why this is in the Rap engineering board. SMH.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
Why bother trying to sound like someone else? Seems pretty pointless to me. I dont even know why this is in the Rap engineering board. SMH.
Well, since you seem like you know my reasoning for wanting to do this, I’ll explain to you my actual reason. It is not because I want to copy the sound and use it. I want ton know how it’s done because when you know how something works, you can adapt and change it to make new things. There are countless examples of this having been done and not only in the music industry. Thank you, and have a nice day. If you don’t have anything that’s worth a damn to say, then stfu and find another thread SMH.

You haven’t even been here long and are going around with crap like that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Gunz OBM View Post
Not sure how accurate this is, but I found this in my travels online
The autotune setting doesn’t really matter to me. I know how to use it to get the sound I want and most of the people making those videos don’t even know how to use the vst. They turn all of those knobs and whatnot in the vibrato section, not realizing that they don’t have the create vibrato on, so the knobs wouldn’t do anything anyway. I’ve found the most effective thing inside of the autotune VST itself for me to change, are the retune speed and tracking knobs. A lot of people just ignore tracking and turn it to 100, but it actually changes the way it corrects the notes when you alter the tracking.

I’ve used that on a good amount of songs and even if they’re in the same key, if the tracking is different, you can tell that it corrects more notes when you have it lower and gives a more harsh and quick effect.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisV View Post
Well, since you seem like you know my reasoning for wanting to do this, I’ll explain to you my actual reason. It is not because I want to copy the sound and use it. I want ton know how it’s done because when you know how something works, you can adapt and change it to make new things. There are countless examples of this having been done and not only in the music industry. Thank you, and have a nice day. If you don’t have anything that’s worth a damn to say, then stfu and find another thread SMH.

You haven’t even been here long and are going around with crap like that.
Im surprised you can't tell that its just autotune, a high quality mic and mic preamp, and some minimal touches of reverb and filtering and subtle automation using an LFO to create a faux pan effect. The smoothness and quality of the sound tells me that some high end gear was probably used. There are many video tutorials on how to get this generic modern pop vocal sound.

Definitely no distortion or bitcrushing.

Final word: This type of sound is very easy and simple to replicate and is also covered in magazines like Future Music.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
Im surprised you can't tell that its just autotune, a high quality mic and mic preamp, and some minimal touches of reverb and filtering and subtle automation using an LFO to create a faux pan effect. The smoothness and quality of the sound tells me that some high end gear was probably used. There are many video tutorials on how to get this generic modern pop vocal sound.

Definitely no distortion or bitcrushing.

Final word: This type of sound is very easy and simple to replicate and is also covered in magazines like Future Music.
Thing is, like the other guy said, I know mainly the components used to do it. It’s the matter of how they use those components. You could have every single ingredient to make Coke in your hands, but if you don’t know the ratios and process to use, you probably won’t be able to make Coke.

The autotune plays very little role in the particular sound. If they were to take it off, it would still have that harmonic distortion sound to it. The reverb is also not very important. The obvious things about it don’t really need to be discussed. We all know it has reverb and delay on it. We know it has autotune on it.

I’m using a Telefunken 251 F and running it through a UA preamp so it’s not that my gear isn’t high quality. I know for a fact that PND uses a Sony C800G. A microphone that I used to own and sold to keep the 251. I don’t believe it to be a filter because I’ve tried many filter techniques and it simply doesn’t sound anywhere close. I think the previous poster was on the right track with the saturation.

That said, if somebody could send me a Logic project file with this effect in it, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Sounds to me like a lot of the quick articulations were done by "playing" autotune on a keyboard. Simple and effective, but you don't hear it all that often.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Is this close to the sound you're after?

https://soundcloud.com/akiligowild/love-me
Yeah, it’s pretty close. Not exactly, but I’d say close enough for me to be able to tweak it to get what I want.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Sounds to me like a lot of the quick articulations were done by "playing" autotune on a keyboard. Simple and effective, but you don't hear it all that often.
It can be done by changing the retune speed and tracking as well. You can do it by using vibrato when you record too. I just went and tried it and I didn’t need a keyboard.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Cool well for that sound I used the kush omega 458a pretty heavily and a decent amount of flanger. I really like the fix flanger for this stuff but I'm sure anything will work. But flanger is a pretty big part of that top end sheen. Try it as an insert with the mix control. Sometimes I might do a flanger into decapitator to see how it reacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisV View Post
Yeah, it’s pretty close. Not exactly, but I’d say close enough for me to be able to tweak it to get what I want.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Cool well for that sound I used the kush omega 458a pretty heavily and a decent amount of flanger. I really like the fix flanger for this stuff but I'm sure anything will work. But flanger is a pretty big part of that top end sheen. Try it as an insert with the mix control. Sometimes I might do a flanger into decapitator to see how it reacts.
Nice work! I've generally been avoiding the Kush hype but I have to say their saturators sound pretty good... Also if you have the fix flanger / doubler combo, try doubler with feedback + saturation for a slightly tighter effect, too.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Hmm, I don’t have that plugin. I’ll have to use something else. What flanger did you use? I have a pretty decent amount of Waves plugins, iZotope, UAD, and others. I have the Decapacitator too.

Please tell me you did it in Logic and can send me the project file or show me how you did it. I’m not a mixer originally, so my mixing skills are average at best.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search