The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocals sounding thin
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Vocals sounding thin

recording hip hop vocals through Rode NT2A through a scarlet solo
vocals are sounding thin and dead.
have tried moving mic around the room to experiment with different placement.
also applied nice Compression and Reverb settings after recording which improves the sound but it still sounds dead because i can't capture the dynamics of the Artists voice in the original recording (sounds flat, dead)
if anyone else has had the same problem or has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated..
i have the feeling im overlooking something very simple its a new setup at my mates house so im just feeling my way through..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
What kind of Compression and Reverb are you adding (Hardware? Software, if so what is it?) What order in the recording chain are you doing the Reverb/Compression. How far are you from the Mic when recording your vocals? Are you using any kind of EQ?

When you mean dead, like lacking in punch/lower part of the spectrum?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
What kind of Compression and Reverb are you adding (Hardware? Software, if so what is it?) What order in the recording chain are you doing the Reverb/Compression. How far are you from the Mic when recording your vocals? Are you using any kind of EQ?

When you mean dead, like lacking in punch/lower part of the spectrum?
waves software running it through a Fab Filter EQ ( roll off 80-90 hz, a lil subtractive eq and addition) ----> 76 ---> LA2a ---> C4 multiband compression ------> L1 limiter

I have tried to move up close to it and I mean really close on the side tried different cardioid. tried keeping safe 6-7 inches away, and really far away. moved all around my room etc...nothing works. It sounds really harsh on the high end and the high frequencies It's a very harsh sounding mic. muffled and poor in the high-frequency range.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I think I may know the problem. I'm recording kinda close to my wall comb filtering may be occurring.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've never used that specific box, but I wouldn't expect much from something that's pre + DI + interface for $100.
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

No samples no answers
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I've never used that specific box, but I wouldn't expect much from something that's pre + DI + interface for $100.
so get a better pre? bet.
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssdrr View Post
so get a better pre? bet.
It's never the gear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
It's never the gear.
gear don't matter? a good pre over a scaret solo audio interface? a rode nt2a vs a sony c800g? I can make it work yes but its night and day in the quality if you disagree your trolling. yes a good performance and performer can make a bad mic sound pro but if the performer isn't that good or new a Sonny c800g can make him sound way better than if he performed on a rode nt2 and it will be a good quality of trash instead of just **** quality and trash lol. get what im saying? if you don't idk what to say. most performers aren't good so that's why gear matters.
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
gear don't matter? a good pre over a scaret solo audio interface? a rode nt2a vs a sony c800g? I can make it work yes but its night and day in the quality if you disagree your trolling. yes a good performance and performer can make a bad mic sound pro but if the performer isn't that good or new a Sonny c800g can make him sound way better than if he performed on a rode nt2 and it will be a good quality of trash instead of just **** quality and trash lol. get what im saying? if you don't idk what to say. most performers aren't good so that's why gear matters.
Before you get a 800g to get the best results with the best performer, you will have to invest more money in your room and/or time to get the skills to make a mic (more so with 800g) work in your room. Believe me a ****ty performer will still be a ****ty one through a mil dollaz worth recording chain.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Before you get a 800g to get the best results with the best performer, you will have to invest more money in your room and/or time to get the skills to make a mic (more so with 800g) work in your room. Believe me a ****ty performer will still be a ****ty one through a mil dollaz worth recording chain.
true but it will sound like a polished pos. you get what I'm saying? but I 100% agree i need to invest in some traps and more foam.
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
true but it will sound like a polished pos. you get what I'm saying? but I 100% agree i need to invest in some traps and more foam.
Once again, if the room and skills are ****, then a 800g and 1073 won't save it. If the room and skills are good, then you won't tell by in the mix if the vocals were recorded with a Rode or a 800g.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Once again, if the room and skills are ****, then a 800g and 1073 won't save it. If the room and skills are good, then you won't tell by in the mix if the vocals were recorded with a Rode or a 800g.
my skills aren't **** I'm not getting your point. obvi if your skills are **** you not gonna get a good song that's a given, but what you are saying makes no sense you barley have to process a 800g and you must have never used a 800g you over acting like those mics are on the same level. lol
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The mic is probably just a bad match with that particular artist's voice/performance. If that's the case, there's only so much you can do to improve the sound using 'conventional' means.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
The mic is probably just a bad match with that particular artist's voice/performance. If that's the case, there's only so much you can do to improve the sound using 'conventional' means.
exactly.ima just save up to buy a quality mic. It is the 3rd most important factor in a great recording behind the performance and room acoustics.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
my skills aren't **** I'm not getting your point. obvi if your skills are **** you not gonna get a good song that's a given, but what you are saying makes no sense you barley have to process a 800g and you must have never used a 800g you over acting like those mics are on the same level. lol
That's true when the C800G ends up being the right sounding mic for the job (despite what you might believe, it isn't always the best sounding mic for the job). That's why people who seriously cut a lot of vocals have AT LEAST two or three stellar mic choices if not more that cover slightly different bases.

When the C800G isn't cutting it for a particular artist on a particular song, for a particular performance, I can usually swap it for a U87Ai and get good results. For urban music, those two cover a lot of bases. Thanks to messing around with the VMS, I now really want to add a U67 type of mic to that arsenal.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's true when the C800G ends up being the right sounding mic for the job (despite what you might believe, it isn't always the best sounding mic for the job). That's why people who seriously cut a lot of vocals have AT LEAST two or three stellar mic choices if not more that cover slightly different bases.

When the C800G isn't cutting it for a particular artist on a particular song, for a particular performance, I can usually swap it for a U87Ai and get good results. For urban music, those two cover a lot of bases. Thanks to messing around with the VMS, I now really want to add a U67 type of mic to that arsenal.
yea that's why drake and 40 use a combination of the sonny and the u87 Drake | Equipboard® he started out using the TLM 103 the reason I know these mics are good is because listen to modern day trap and hip hop music. the artist are talentless and can't sing at all but yet it sounds good cause autotune and good equipment. alot of them don't sing at all and just talk into the mic and it still sound good like 21 savage for example
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
yea that's why drake and 40 use a combination of the sonny and the u87 Drake | Equipboard® he started out using the TLM 103 the reason I know these mics are good is because listen to modern day trap and hip hop music. the artist are talentless and can't sing at all but yet it sounds good cause autotune and good equipment. alot of them don't sing at all and just talk into the mic and it still sound good like 21 savage for example
Most people around that neck of the woods that wanted a U87 but couldn't afford one at the time ended up with a TLM 103 instead as one of their first goto Neumann mics, including a few guys from my camp. I never really liked it come mixing time though. Given the choice, I would actually use several cheaper priced mics over it without hesitation.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The better the mic is the more it will pick up the unwanted reflections etc. in your room. I would bet that a good performer would sound good with that gear and decent room treatment.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
waves software running it through a Fab Filter EQ ( roll off 80-90 hz, a lil subtractive eq and addition) ----> 76 ---> LA2a ---> C4 multiband compression ------> L1 limiter

I have tried to move up close to it and I mean really close on the side tried different cardioid. tried keeping safe 6-7 inches away, and really far away. moved all around my room etc...nothing works. It sounds really harsh on the high end and the high frequencies It's a very harsh sounding mic. muffled and poor in the high-frequency range.
explain how comb filtering is your problem in your own words.

and lol, what are you using all that compression for. really tell me
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Please show me a single sample where the vms isnt thin.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangs_08 View Post
Please show me a single sample where the vms isnt thin.
Unfortunately, I can't help you there. I've just recently started using my VMS after contemplating whether to even open it and register the software or not. I still have a lot more experimenting to do with it myself.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't help you there. I've just recently started using my VMS after contemplating whether to even open it and register the software or not. I still have a lot more experimenting to do with it myself.
You wont find any sample. Because the vms is thin no matter what you do
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You wont find any sample. Because the vms is thin no matter what you do
Cool, but what does that have to do with this thread?

No one's talking about the VMS, other than me mentioning that I'm now interested in checking out some U67 sounding mics because of what I heard from the FG-67 VMS emulation.

If you're on some type of tip right now and you have issues with the product you bought that you want to address, create your own thread and do it in there.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cool, but what does that have to do with this thread?

No one's talking about the VMS, other than me mentioning that I'm now interested in checking out some U67 sounding mics because of what I heard from the FG-67 VMS emulation.

If you're on some type of tip right now and you have issues with the product you bought that you want to address, create your own thread and do it in there.
OT is problems with thin vocals.
The way how you mentioned the vms could irritate because it suffers from the same problem and is not a solution. Your post talking about a u67 style mic has nothing to do with the OT.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
explain how comb filtering is your problem in your own words.

and lol, what are you using all that compression for. really tell me
listened to you mixes and songs. please stop giving me tips. your songs don't sound good to me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
OT is problems with thin vocals.
The way how you mentioned the vms could irritate because it suffers from the same problem and is not a solution. Your post talking about a u67 style mic has nothing to do with the OT.

I was having a specific conversation with the creator of the thread about how important it is to have more than one mic choice, even when dealing with high end mics. Everything I was talking about in my post was on topic with what I had to say in that specific conversation, which by the way, had nothing to do with you.

As I said before, if you have a legit problem, why not create a thread that's specific to what you're dealing with and get some help from people to troubleshoot it. As annoying as you're being right now, I would still be interested in helping you out if I can, but there's only so much foolishness I'm willing to put up with before I decide to not bother with specific forum members on here.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

I was having a specific conversation with the creator of the thread about how important it is to have more than one mic choice, even when dealing with high end mics. Everything I was talking about in my post was on topic with what I had to say in that specific conversation, which by the way, had nothing to do with you.

As I said before, if you have a legit problem, why not create a thread that's specific to what you're dealing with and get some help from people to troubleshoot it. As annoying as you're being right now, I would still be interested in helping you out if I can, but there's only so much foolishness I'm willing to put up with before I decide to not bother with specific forum members on here.
just ignore them bro I swear there are hella trolls on this site that are negative and just talk out there ass.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
listened to you mixes and songs. please stop giving me tips. your songs don't sound good to me.
cool thanks for the listens. my mixes probably shouldn't sound good to you..i just started mixing like last month.

also can you answer my questions.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
what are you using all that compression for
2-3 stages of compression on a vocal is not out of the ordinary. Some people prefer to have more compressors doing a little, rather than 1 compressor doing a whole lot of gain reduction. On top of that, some compressors will give you a specific sounding result, and mixing that with another compressor giving you a certain type of result may sound desirable. Etc. Etc. Etc.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search