The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
Old 21st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1 View Post
i think it could also be that i am not a native english speaker and so i dont get his lyrics and expression as much as most of you do. thats why i mostly rate music by its production/beat/delivery and so on. is that possible?

I actually just dont like that saw synth in Humble at the end of the hook, would have loved some classic westcoast lead sounds in this, a moog, a wha guitar, even scratches.
my friend and engineer isn't an American and he doesn't understand the appeal of Kendrick either, so maybe it's not impossible, and he has the same problems with the songs like you do (K speaking mainly ebonics/slang instead of proper English)...
Old 21st April 2017
This album is amazing. Some tracks took longer than others to grow on me and some of them have their time and place. My fav tracks are Feel, Buckworth, DNA, Humble, Pride and Loyalty. Which is already a lot from the album!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyvoutt View Post
to grow on me
That's what I dislike about a lot of music in general nowadays. Most of it has to grow on you before you truly start feeling it.
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

I Love the album from start to finish! I like every single track even the more "poppy" songs like Love.
Musically I think this album is better than TPAB
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
That's what I dislike about a lot of music in general nowadays. Most of it has to grow on you before you truly start feeling it.
I think it's always been like that,some of my favorite albums had to grow on me, Outkast "ATliens"
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
I think it's always been like that,some of my favorite albums had to grow on me, Outkast "ATliens"
For me it wasn't really like that. With plenty of the great songs I listened to back then, I just heard something in them that instantly clicked for me as soon as I played them, and it made jumping into new albums very exciting. Only a few new songs have done that for me so far this year, and other than those, everything has needed a bit of time to grow on me, like some of the stuff from Drake's most recent album. I feel this new Kendrick Lamar album is going to be the same story. Not bad... but not "wow" either, you know?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

@PettyCash it's hard for anything to wow anyone as depending on how long someone's been listening to a particular genre it's about feeling as if everything has been said and/or done before.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

I though the album was well done from the production stand point. I did not notice that vocal level or way it sat in the mixes from track to track was inconsistent. Overall the album has the same tone as TPAB but I didn't think it was better than TPAB....that album was so on point from the production stand point.

DAMN was good but for me nowhere near the sonic quality of TPAB.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Head
Totally hip-hop AOTY...
Old 21st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobie_Miles View Post
I Love the album from start to finish! I like every single track even the more "poppy" songs like Love.
Musically I think this album is better than TPAB
LOVE is gonna end up being one of the best songs of the whole year. I already know.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Listened the album from top to bottom; was disappointed.

I guess once the bar has risen to ridiculous heights you'll eventually end up making an album that's merely "good" instead of "great" and it's gonna feel like "meh". That's DAMN. in a nutshell.

Regarding production and mixing: I guess for some people the mixes will sound "rough". For me they sound more like "unmixed". Especially when compared to his previous work (which includes some of the best Hip Hop mixes you'll hear in this decade).
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

DAMN. surpassed 300 million streams in it’s first week out, the second album this year to achieve this. It already sold 325,000 units and had over 300 Million Streams (1500 streams is equivalent to 1 Cd sale so that is 200k CDs). I'm not one to jump on bandwagons or go with the hype of the majority but have to admit I like the Cd especially the initial release of 'Humble' because that is what real Hip hop whether it is commercial or underground should sound like regarding originality in a time that most commercial Hip hop sounds duplicated. I was never considered Kendrick Lamar before besides his one release in 2012 'Swimming Pools (Drank)'. Probably because this song had originality at the time compared to what was out on the mainstream radio regarding Hip hop.

I think 'DAMN' will help curve the current Trends in Hip hop so the newer up & coming rapper will become more versatile with their bars & flow!
Old 22nd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
DAMN. surpassed 300 million streams in it’s first week out, the second album this year to achieve this. It already sold 325,000 units and had over 300 Million Streams (1500 streams is equivalent to 1 Cd sale so that is 200k CDs). I'm not one to jump on bandwagons or go with the hype of the majority but have to admit I like the Cd especially the initial release of 'Humble' because that is what real Hip hop whether it is commercial or underground should sound like regarding originality in a time that most commercial Hip hop sounds duplicated. I was never considered Kendrick Lamar before besides his one release in 2012 'Swimming Pools (Drank)'. Probably because this song had originality at the time compared to what was out on the mainstream radio regarding Hip hop.

I think 'DAMN' will help curve the current Trends in Hip hop so the newer up & coming rapper will become more versatile with their bars & flow!
600k+ in sales as of yesterday...
Old 22nd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra View Post
I though the album was well done from the production stand point. I did not notice that vocal level or way it sat in the mixes from track to track was inconsistent. Overall the album has the same tone as TPAB but I didn't think it was better than TPAB....that album was so on point from the production stand point.

DAMN was good but for me nowhere near the sonic quality of TPAB.
I agree, TPAB was the pinnacle! Damn is unique because it almost feels like really shiny demos with loads of songs packed into each song, similar to UU. Quality wise maybe in between UU and TPAB. Do you think DAMN sounds better than GKMC though?
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

I just don't know if DAMN should be compared to TPAB, it feels like a whole new chapter in his book, even though there are derivations, if you base your analysis by comparing and contrasting both of these projects then you are missing the whole point imo.
Old 22nd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgbravo View Post
I just don't know if DAMN should be compared to TPAB, it feels like a whole new chapter in his book, even though there are derivations, if you base your analysis by comparing and contrasting both of these projects then you are missing the whole point imo.
the best part of K's work is how he's evolving and the story progresses. in life there's always parallel's, which is what happens in some of his songs, but everything else is always fresh.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Do you guys know who else involved in the production process decides on the vocal production decisions made throughout Lamars projects? It absolutely sounds like a collaborative effort otherwise, I would love to know the orchestrator of such decisions since TPAB tbh!
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgbravo View Post
Do you guys know who else involved in the production process decides on the vocal production decisions made throughout Lamars projects? It absolutely sounds like a collaborative effort otherwise, I would love to know the orchestrator of such decisions since TPAB tbh!
According to interviews of Sounwave and DJ Dahi, its all kendricks ideas. MixedbyAli Executes them
Old 25th April 2017
Quote:
I hear what you're saying but it wasn't like the crap stuff on the radio I have to hear 30x before I find something to enjoy. There were tracks I loved immediately and a few songs I wasn't sure of, but when I re-listened a second time I loved them.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

'LOYALTY.' is the only song on this album that wont have to "grow on me". Perhaps 'DUCKWORTH.' can be put in that same category. Everything else though feels so so to me for the time being.
Old 25th April 2017
Quote:
'LOYALTY.' is the only song on this album that wont have to "grow on me". Perhaps 'DUCKWORTH.' can be put in that same category. Everything else though feels so so to me for the time being.
give it at least 2 weeks dude
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Been bumping DUCKWORTH constantly!

Also D.N.A,Element,Feel,Loyalty,humble and Fear gets heavy rotation in the whip...
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1 View Post
I want Kendrick to make an instant classic just like California Love was. or Whats my name or even In da Club.
I really think he did just that with "The Recipe"
Old 26th April 2017
Kendrick is cool, but he just doesn't have that X factor to be at the top.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
We are all inclined to have our own opinions but you'll be hard pressed to find a better lyricist out of today's batch of rappers... Dude is a great performer and writer and his flow is always in the pocket....
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
he's already at the top, so clearly he does have it.
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
We are all inclined to have our own opinions but you'll be hard pressed to find a better lyricist out of today's batch of rappers... Dude is a great performer and writer and his flow is always in the pocket....
his creativity and range is beyond anything i've seen - listen to those arrangements, vocally and musically and tell me that anyone else could've executed them as well. something tells me he's just scratched the surface, because even if this is not his best album yet it's still better than 90% of the music released this year, IMO
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toxic View Post
I really think he did just that with "The Recipe"
that and Sing About Me as well, i think.
Old 27th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson View Post
he's already at the top, so clearly he does have it.
At the top? No. He isn't bad. But he isn't someone I look forward to. Maybe I haven't heard enough of his stuff. But from the stuff I heard, he is a nice artist, just not in the superstar leagues. He's getting money, so really, he is better than 90% of the rap game now!
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
At the top? No. He isn't bad. But he isn't someone I look forward to. Maybe I haven't heard enough of his stuff. But from the stuff I heard, he is a nice artist, just not in the superstar leagues. He's getting money, so really, he is better than 90% of the rap game now!
Opinions vary.

Future is very successful, someone that mainstream media would consider as one of the guys who are "at the top", yet I can't stand ANY of the music he makes. Seriously, I cannot even fathom what people see in his music. Similarly, there are people with that same opinion about Drake, yet I like a lot of the music he's recorded over the years, and statistically, he's obviously the front runner for that top spot.

Whether you think Kendrick has that "X factor" or not is all about taste. Like with any other top Hip Hop act, you either vibe with him or you don't... but his success speaks for itself.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search