The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is your favourite compressor to use for Parallel Compression? Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th March 2017
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
What is your favourite compressor to use for Parallel Compression?

So yeah, as the title says, what is your favourite compressor to use for Parallel Compression to get those dirty drums?

Atm my favourite one to use is the UBK-1 Kush compressor, but I have been messing a lot with some lesser known compressors trying to get some unique sounds.

so what about you guys?
Old 5th March 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
 

To get the "dirty" sound for drums, You would use some sort of overdrive effect or saturation effect. A compressor will effect the dynamic range of the drum sounds.
Old 9th March 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
To get the "dirty" sound for drums, You would use some sort of overdrive effect or saturation effect. A compressor will effect the dynamic range of the drum sounds.
Sure but I'm sure you know a compressor can destroy the sound which can make it sound dirty. Thats what he is saying.
My favorites are the chandler limiter, ubk-1, and an 1176 comp,uad or slate.
Hardware- distressor, dbx160,wa76.
Old 12th March 2017
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Yeah like e-are said, compressors can be used to dirty up the drums, specially with parallel compression where you compress stuff A LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
My favorites are the chandler limiter, ubk-1, and an 1176 comp,uad or slate.
Hardware- distressor, dbx160,wa76.
Thats quite interesting, I've never heard of the chandler limiter, I might check it out.
Old 12th March 2017
  #5
Typically, I use some sort of 1176 plugin that's fairly cranked. In parallel, this tends to bring out some "grit" and "hair" to drums while also making them much more aggressive.

Another great plugin I just started using (though not in parallel yet) is called Oxidizer from UA.

Even on a simple, boring sounding electronic drum kit, whatever that thing is doing is pretty ridiculous. If you can demo it on your UA system, check it out sometime.

Also, in general, while this is not necessarily a parallel trick, putting SoundToys Decapitator on anything can add grit and character if you need it. I love plugins that can do this because, lets face it, some of the best music in the world has always had a bit of distortion on it—think Motown and the Beetles (who mostly copied the Motown sound and the Beachboys).
Old 12th March 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

PA Opticom is great for that.
Old 20th March 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
I love IK Opto Compressor when doing parallel
Old 20th March 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK View Post
putting SoundToys Decapitator on anything can add grit and character if you need it.
Indispensable for adding some additional grit to a drum or bass parallel channel.
Old 20th March 2017
  #9
Uad chandler Zener or soundtoys devil loc.
Old 20th March 2017
  #10
Here for the gear
 

90% of the time I use an 1176 style compressor. 10% of the time I go balls out through an amp simulator with the gain cranked for a tube saturation compression style thing.
Old 20th March 2017
  #11
Gear nut
 
rpun13's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK View Post
putting SoundToys Decapitator on anything can add grit and character if you need it.
Indispensable for adding some additional grit to a drum or bass parallel channel.
+1 for Decapitator
Old 21st March 2017
  #12
Gear Head
 

I usually start off with the correct drum samples that have the characteristics I'm looking for. Parallel ITB, using two tracks, never quite sounds right to me. Plus there are so many great "right out of the box" drum sample sets around.

edit: If it's a mix and the drums need fixin' up, Soundtoys Decapitator smashed. Use the Cut and Tone knobs to dial in exactly what I want. Mix knob to taste (usually around 8-10 o'clock). Slate Monster is another option.
Old 24th March 2017
  #13
Here for the gear
Fairchild 670 emulation The Puigchild is pretty good on parallel.
Old 24th March 2017
  #14
Elysia MPressor, Al.So Dynax, ADR Compex, POM Boiler 2. These days I'm using a lot more dedicated saturation boxes though for that crunchy "breakbeat" sound.
The Black Box HG-2 and the LTL Silver Bullet.
Old 19th April 2017
  #15
CAMELCRUSHER!!!!! nothing gets you the fatness as quickly or as efficiently.
Old 19th April 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
BradM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson View Post
CAMELCRUSHER!!!!! nothing gets you the fatness as quickly or as efficiently.
Wow. I haven't used that thing in forever. But it is super fun and great for dirty drums.

In my studio I've been using an Overstayer FET compressor on parallel drum submix. Having that wet/dry mix knob is very handy.
@Paul_G - Are you using the Silver Bullet and HG-2 in parallel for drums? Or just as an insert? I've actually never even considered trying the Silver Bullet in parallel. I might have to give that a shot....

Brad
Old 19th April 2017
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Wow. I haven't used that thing in forever. But it is super fun and great for dirty drums.

In my studio I've been using an Overstayer FET compressor on parallel drum submix. Having that wet/dry mix knob is very handy.
@Paul_G - Are you using the Silver Bullet and HG-2 in parallel for drums? Or just as an insert? I've actually never even considered trying the Silver Bullet in parallel. I might have to give that a shot....

Brad
I would usually try both methods Brad depending on phase coherence or the sound I have in my head. It also depends what I'm doing with the Kick and the snare.

Normally though I would process kick and snare separately and then treat the rest of the kit, percussion and possibly bass directly as a group through the processors, maybe blending a bit of parallel kick and snare if it feels good.

They sound so good though and they're so variable they don't really need a blend function for my needs in the way that old compressors do.

If I did use them in parallel I would have probably already used them at least once tastefully first and then the parallel would be for super fuzz.....
Old 20th April 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
1176 Rev H.
Old 25th April 2017
  #19
I've been a fan of the CLA 76, but as my arsenal was more limited I actually used the Logic Pro built-in compressor and had some good results.
Old 25th April 2017
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson View Post
CAMELCRUSHER!!!!! nothing gets you the fatness as quickly or as efficiently.
CamelPhat is great too.
Old 25th April 2017
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDrensk View Post
CamelPhat is great too.
Old 30th April 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Anything with a Mix knob

H-Comp gets a bit of use there because it emulates several types of compressors. So if I don't have a specific idea of what sound I'm after I can just switch through the emulations to find something that works.

Then there is the Lindell 254, Acme Opticom or the mPressor.

This is if I want a quick and dirty parallel which works for alot of things. But if I need more control, then I'll just split the signal and use just about anything really. It has a lot to do with the production concept I have for the mix.
Old 30th April 2017
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Anything with a Mix knob

H-Comp gets a bit of use there because it emulates several types of compressors. So if I don't have a specific idea of what sound I'm after I can just switch through the emulations to find something that works.

Then there is the Lindell 254, Acme Opticom or the mPressor.

This is if I want a quick and dirty parallel which works for alot of things. But if I need more control, then I'll just split the signal and use just about anything really. It has a lot to do with the production concept I have for the mix.
H Comp is dope especially on vocals! i don't use it for parallel stuff though.
Old 1st May 2017
  #24
Any other hardware heads?
Old 3rd May 2017
  #25
Gear Nut
 
gLeDaris's Avatar
 

The FATSO Jr./Sr. on the UAD platform has been a staple in my sessions for a while now.
Old 3rd May 2017
  #26
Lives for gear
 

I thought cytomic Glue sounded pretty decent ITB...though i have't used it a whole lot.

Have an outboard drum chain for my drum machines and pretty much use FMR PBC-6A for parallel comp. Use that super thick mode...it doesnt get "clicky" when doing stupid high gain reduction.

Then drums go through FMR RNLA...get some attack back. Then shave that off with Strymon Deco...and add some dirt. Really like that box.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump