The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is your favourite compressor to use for Parallel Compression?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What is your favourite compressor to use for Parallel Compression?

So yeah, as the title says, what is your favourite compressor to use for Parallel Compression to get those dirty drums?

Atm my favourite one to use is the UBK-1 Kush compressor, but I have been messing a lot with some lesser known compressors trying to get some unique sounds.

so what about you guys?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

To get the "dirty" sound for drums, You would use some sort of overdrive effect or saturation effect. A compressor will effect the dynamic range of the drum sounds.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
To get the "dirty" sound for drums, You would use some sort of overdrive effect or saturation effect. A compressor will effect the dynamic range of the drum sounds.
Sure but I'm sure you know a compressor can destroy the sound which can make it sound dirty. Thats what he is saying.
My favorites are the chandler limiter, ubk-1, and an 1176 comp,uad or slate.
Hardware- distressor, dbx160,wa76.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yeah like e-are said, compressors can be used to dirty up the drums, specially with parallel compression where you compress stuff A LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
My favorites are the chandler limiter, ubk-1, and an 1176 comp,uad or slate.
Hardware- distressor, dbx160,wa76.
Thats quite interesting, I've never heard of the chandler limiter, I might check it out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Typically, I use some sort of 1176 plugin that's fairly cranked. In parallel, this tends to bring out some "grit" and "hair" to drums while also making them much more aggressive.

Another great plugin I just started using (though not in parallel yet) is called Oxidizer from UA.

Even on a simple, boring sounding electronic drum kit, whatever that thing is doing is pretty ridiculous. If you can demo it on your UA system, check it out sometime.

Also, in general, while this is not necessarily a parallel trick, putting SoundToys Decapitator on anything can add grit and character if you need it. I love plugins that can do this because, lets face it, some of the best music in the world has always had a bit of distortion on it—think Motown and the Beetles (who mostly copied the Motown sound and the Beachboys).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

PA Opticom is great for that.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I love IK Opto Compressor when doing parallel
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK View Post
putting SoundToys Decapitator on anything can add grit and character if you need it.
Indispensable for adding some additional grit to a drum or bass parallel channel.
Old 3 days ago
Uad chandler Zener or soundtoys devil loc.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

90% of the time I use an 1176 style compressor. 10% of the time I go balls out through an amp simulator with the gain cranked for a tube saturation compression style thing.
Old 2 days ago
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK View Post
putting SoundToys Decapitator on anything can add grit and character if you need it.
Indispensable for adding some additional grit to a drum or bass parallel channel.
+1 for Decapitator
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I usually start off with the correct drum samples that have the characteristics I'm looking for. Parallel ITB, using two tracks, never quite sounds right to me. Plus there are so many great "right out of the box" drum sample sets around.

edit: If it's a mix and the drums need fixin' up, Soundtoys Decapitator smashed. Use the Cut and Tone knobs to dial in exactly what I want. Mix knob to taste (usually around 8-10 o'clock). Slate Monster is another option.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search