The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best classic sampler for iPad
Old 20th January 2015
Here for the gear

Best classic sampler for iPad

Hey,

I used to be a hardware head using mainly Ensoniq ASR-10 and MPC hardware samplers, but recently picked up iPad Mini 3 and looking to bang some beats on it. I got iMPC Pro but just wondering if this is the best hip-hop app or is there something better out there?

I'm basically looking for ASR-10/MPC workflow and *sound* -- I'm doing only classic New York boom bap style beats from the '90s.

Is there some kind of app/apps out there that can give you this warm, phat sound?

How good is the sampler in iMPC Pro? is it comparable to classic MPC machines like 2000XL?
Old 20th January 2015
I've been using Beatmaker 2 with success. MPC Pro looks better, but BM2 seemed to be a better fit for the iOS universe.
Old 20th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've been using Beatmaker 2 with success. MPC Pro looks better, but BM2 seemed to be a better fit for the iOS universe.
I was looking at Beatmaker 2, but the workflow was more like a modern DAW and not old school hardware. IMHO it's too complicated -- I love my MPC for the simplicity.. it seems iMPC Pro went in this direction.

But mainly just wondering about the quality of sampling -- I know that nothing can beat the real hardware like ASR-10 or MPC 3000.

Is the sampler in Beatmaker 2 better (meaning it can replicate more that gritty grimy old school sound) than the one in iMPC Pro?
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

I found impc better for sampling, but beatmaker 2 better for composition with virtual instruments. It also has a nice sequencer and piano roll.

Both have bitcrusher
Old 20th January 2015
I don't blame you for being put-off from the BM2 workflow. ...and yeah, it's a full-blown DAW. I use it for all my tracking & arranging. Then I mix in Auria. BM2 has several ways to grunge-up your sound. As you can imagine, being more of a DAW, it's really flexible in this regard too.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork77 View Post
Hey,

I used to be a hardware head using mainly Ensoniq ASR-10 and MPC hardware samplers, but recently picked up iPad Mini 3 and looking to bang some beats on it. I got iMPC Pro but just wondering if this is the best hip-hop app or is there something better out there?

I'm basically looking for ASR-10/MPC workflow and *sound* -- I'm doing only classic New York boom bap style beats from the '90s.

Is there some kind of app/apps out there that can give you this warm, phat sound?

How good is the sampler in iMPC Pro? is it comparable to classic MPC machines like 2000XL?
I like iMPC (using iPad Mini Retina) and sampling is comparable if not better, but the only thing missing for me is connecting with DropBox. As far as that "sound" the ASR/MPC hardware can be replicated in many ways now. It's about that swing too. Have to remember this is digital software/programming at the end of day.

You can use iMPC, iMaschine, plus many other third party Synths/FX within BM2 or a few other iOS DAW apps as well. Hook up a mini midi controller when you can/need to is a plus as well.

Hope that helps...
Old 24th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilts27 View Post
I like iMPC (using iPad Mini Retina) and sampling is comparable if not better, but the only thing missing for me is connecting with DropBox. As far as that "sound" the ASR/MPC hardware can be replicated in many ways now. It's about that swing too. Have to remember this is digital software/programming at the end of day.

You can use iMPC, iMaschine, plus many other third party Synths/FX within BM2 or a few other iOS DAW apps as well. Hook up a mini midi controller when you can/need to is a plus as well.

Hope that helps...
Do you recommend iMPC or iMPC Pro? It seems that iMPC tries more to mimic the old school MPC hardware in interface at least..
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork77 View Post
Do you recommend iMPC or iMPC Pro? It seems that iMPC tries more to mimic the old school MPC hardware in interface at least..
Ha...my bad...I'm actually speaking about iMPC Pro. That's the latest one with a lot of improvements so...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search