The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"THOSE" neptunes/pharell drums (i.e. superthug, allure, etc...)
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Head

"THOSE" neptunes/pharell drums (i.e. superthug, allure, etc...)

I know he uses the 01w for sequencing. I am pretty sure those drums sounds are 'workstation' drums sounds and I have never heard them on the triton, trinity, or any roland module so i am guessing they come from the 01/w? can anyone confirm this?
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahertz View Post
I know he uses the 01w for sequencing. I am pretty sure those drums sounds are 'workstation' drums sounds and I have never heard them on the triton, trinity, or any roland module so i am guessing they come from the 01/w? can anyone confirm this?
sound like processed samples from breaks to me, snares pitched up and downsampled or whatever, some of them even have like hi hat leftovers in the tail from improper chopping.
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Head

probably, they use an asr-10 to store drums they have sampled. Still wondering if the original sources come from the 01w
Old 29th November 2006

Quote:
probably, they use an asr-10 to store drums they have sampled. Still wondering if the original sources come from the 01w
Yes to the first part, and No to the second.
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

They records a lot of there own drums.

Anybody care to share the technique?
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anybody care to share the technique?
1. Get a drummer
2. Get a drumkit
3. Make the drummer play on the drumkit
4. Hit the record button.
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear
I'm pretty sure the superthug drums are straight Korg.

I'll go check...just for sh*ts and giggles.
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

95% of what theyve done ive heard in a triton.

i am not exxagerating.
Old 30th November 2006
Here for the gear

i think it's already known by everybody, but the drums for clipse's grindin are presets from triton, from what i believe was a latin/salsa kit.
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

no its the percussion kit----and the kiks and snares your talking about do NOT come from the triton...but if you want em, they leave em open in quite a few songs
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccazzo View Post
1. Get a drummer
2. Get a drumkit
3. Make the drummer play on the drumkit
4. Hit the record button.
....and you'll end up with some of the most unusable hip hop drums you've ever heard
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
....and you'll end up with some of the most unusable hip hop drums you've ever heard
heh
Old 30th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post

i am not exxagerating.

yea, your not exaggerating, but your also not correct. in fact i'd say your about 95% wrong!
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

not that wrong..but i go through my friends triton...every couple drums i go ....wow..thats from that neptunes track...heh heh heh heh
Old 30th November 2006
Gear Head

light your ass on fire and grindin are triton/trinity drums. Its the super thug/allure/hot in here drums that I was interested in. I am sure those are cut from a break or a sample cd and processed.
Old 30th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Korg 01w

I dont know bout the drums (kick, snare) on 'Grindin'. But that sort of mouth percussion thing is definetely from the Korg 01w, its on the dance kit preset.
And i think they used more sounds of the 01w.
Old 30th November 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post

i am not exxagerating.
actaully i read an article i think it was eq mag where they said they resampled the stock korg sounds among other boards to the asr-10.. i dont think itsa strech to say alot of their sounds come from keyboards like the triton/o1w... not all their drumz but def a good amount esp their earlier work
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
lol funny ****..but true
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Nut

Speaking about Hot in Here- I remember reading in a Mix Mag or something that all the drums were tracked through a real Neve 1073. So if you are trying to get the sound they use. Don't forget the engineers that track and mix for these guys have all the gear they need. Tony can tell you. He probably sold alot of it to them. There is a reason these guys use this equipment, and that reason is what you seek. Fat ,Round, Warm, analog drums that slam. Snares probably went through an API I'm not sure, but that's just half the equation. Next you have to talk compression. Oh by the way they have the best compressors too...
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Head

This sh$$ cracks me up!!!
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Head

The funny thing is, no one knows how to sound design anymore. So if it's not on a preset or some sample cd everyones stuck! Does anyone even know how to use even the most basic of the plug ins that they all have?
The classic neps drums are all GATED. The Superthug kicks are just orchestral drums (go into any orchestral kit on a korg/Roland etc.. you'll find that deep orchestal boom sound). Put a big reverb on them and gate the verb. That will cut the sound abruptly and give it that sound.

JD has it on the 1st Mariah record, Tim's been doing it for time.
Obviously once you've made the sound you sample it off and use it how you like. But essentially if more people took the trouble to design there own sounds they would be just as succesful as the neps, tim etc.. I know it takes time, and can be boring but you need to do it to seperate yourself from all the over wannabees.

Remember, if you want to be a big shot, develop your own sounds and stay in lane..
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

I think that was the point of this thread though... Someone asking about the sources for the neps drums so that they could possibly make use of some of those sources when building their own kits. There's nothing wrong with hearing a quality you like in someone else's work and wanting to know where it was derived from, so that you can take it, re-create it in a different way, and use it in your own way as part of your style. That's how a lot of major producers learned, whether it was by working directly under somebody they admired, or just trying to imitate what they heard on the radio.
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by threesixty View Post
The funny thing is, no one knows how to sound design anymore. So if it's not on a preset or some sample cd everyones stuck! Does anyone even know how to use even the most basic of the plug ins that they all have?
The classic neps drums are all GATED. The Superthug kicks are just orchestral drums (go into any orchestral kit on a korg/Roland etc.. you'll find that deep orchestal boom sound). Put a big reverb on them and gate the verb. That will cut the sound abruptly and give it that sound.

Obviously once you've made the sound you sample it off and use it how you like. But essentially if more people took the trouble to design there own sounds they would be just as succesful as the neps, tim etc.. I know it takes time, and can be boring but you need to do it to seperate yourself from all the over wannabees.

Remember, if you want to be a big shot, develop your own sounds and stay in lane..

YO genius its obvious theres a sub or large kick layered there, (and i really ****ing doubt its a timpani or any other orchestal bass drum) and i am assuming most of us on this board know the virtues of sound design and the effect that mixing has on the finished product. If all i wanted was to 'jack' the neptunes sound I would have sampled the drums off super thug in the first place. As one of replys stated, I was actually looking to figure out if it was on the 01w so I could use the PCM waveforms and create some other kits based because I know the AI2 sound engine really well. So before you assume that you need to 'school' us all on how to be 'big shots' read the posts first.
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by threesixty View Post

LOL heh
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

how about swizz beatz sampling the neptune drums (not the original source - we are talking processing and vinyl noise heh on them) for "touch it" from NORE's "Head Bussa"
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

that's wack imo, but i think swizzy is wack anyway.
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
So before you assume that you need to 'school' us all on how to be 'big shots' read the posts first.
then ask more specific questions.
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
then ask more specific questions.

Homie, you must be a little slow. I asked are "the drums from super thug on the o1w?" Was that not specific????
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalflow View Post
This sh$$ cracks me up!!!

heh heh heh, if they only knew. i knew you couldn't resist this thread.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search