The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
s950 or ...?
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Maniac

s950 or ...?

Ciao belli.

I want to buy a 12 bit sampler to combine with my mpc 2000.
There are a lot of big guys but I have to choose the cheapest one.

I was thinking about a classic 950, or a 900 becouse of their low price and reputation. I'd like to work only on my 2000, and use the 12 bit sampler only to give that phat sound, resampling the whole beat on it

Don't tell me to get a 1200 lol I don't have 2000€

sooo yeah thats all, I just want to know what is the cheaper (but good) 12bit sampler in 2014. A guy told me to buy a Roland one but I don't rwmember the model.

Anyway, thank you and peace from Italy.

www.soundcloud.com/jayglo-1
Old 27th August 2014
Great alternatives that are actual 12bit to the Akai S-950/900 are:

Emu emax 1
Roland S-550 (get the mouse and the multiple os and utility disks) I call this the poor mans fairlight and is the last 12 bit before they started the 16bit samplers.
Ensoniq EPS

Great newer sampler alternatives:

Roland S-760 (down samples)
E-MU EOS line (down samples)
Akai S-5K (down samples)
Ensoniq Asr-10

Imo the older samplers like the S-550 are a great box with fixed memory and sound great. The Roland's are a little harder to use but with the mouse options they are simple. They may not have analog filtering but contain excellent filters that are equal and sometimes exceeding the analog counterparts. the Akai S-5k once expanded to the last os is one hell of a sampler, same with the EOS. Line with its deep routing.
Old 27th August 2014
Here for the gear

Either the Akia s950/900 are good choices once you learn how to use them. I have a zoom st-224 you can find that cheap it does give you a grittier sound but it's not warm if you know what I mean. Also try looking for a akai s20 that gives you a nice warm feel to run samples thru
Old 27th August 2014
SEED78
Roland S550
Casio RZ1 (sample time is REALLY low though)
EMU Emax
Ensoniq Mirage
Akai S612
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Alright thank you guys. I found
Asr 10 for 250€
Roland s550 for 100 ---> I have a crt monitor for this
Ensoniq Eps for 250€
S900 for 200€
S950 for 250/300€
Ensoniq Mirage for 500/600€

all this gear comes from italy, I think prices in other countries (especially USA) are lower, but I can't spend trillions of € for the shipping

the other samplers you wrote are not available in italy!!

Edit Emax HD for 500€
Old 30th August 2014

This was the video that sold me on the S-330 and S-550 roland modules.

The S-330 is just a lower spec version of the S-550 from my understanding.
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayglo View Post
Alright thank you guys. I found
Asr 10 for 250€
Roland s550 for 100 ---> I have a crt monitor for this
Ensoniq Eps for 250€
S900 for 200€
S950 for 250/300€
Ensoniq Mirage for 500/600€

all this gear comes from italy, I think prices in other countries (especially USA) are lower, but I can't spend trillions of € for the shipping

the other samplers you wrote are not available in italy!!

Edit Emax HD for 500€
Seems clear to me - you seem to want a s900 or s950 which will give you the closest sound to the s900 or s950 sound, and they are also the cheapest with the exception of the Roland

From what I remember the s900 doesn't work with high density floppies? Or something like that. I'd double check that one before you buy either. I have a SD card reader in my s950 and it's still a PITA if the program won't fit in one 'block', so I always try to keep my programs under the size of one 'disk', which filled up max ram won't.

Also, although I love the ASR10, and I don't think it sounds like 'clean digital', it really doesn't sound like the s950. Both of them can sound great on anything (recording at a good level max high rate on the s950 sounds clean enough!) but I still typically use them for completely different purposes (if you want an s950 I don't think the idea is to sample clean as possible). If you're trying for early 90s or boom bap the s950 is a good idea. If you're trying to use it on drums to make modern rap, I don't think it would make a good fit - though the ASR still would. The ASR is warm but pretty close to what you give it, the s950 likes to smooth everything out and make it sound more 'natural' which wouldn't really fit with the super sharp sound now, though I'm very sure you could still find a use for it somewhere on a track.

It takes a bit to get use to navigating the s950, but once you get use to it it's not that bad. I fully use it, not just resample through it. The only thing is, if stereo is important to you, don't even bother, the s950 is mono, which is why I keep it for drums, and keep the asr10 or 2000xl for other samples.
Old 30th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Yeah I want to use it for boombap 90s, I think some of my productions would sound warmer with a 12b sampler. Just take a look on "nuff stress" (fl studio) www.soundcloud.com/jayglo-1. Sound is not bad at all, but it's too fkin clean.

My mp2000 (not xl) sounds more punchy than fl but obviously still clean.

the s550 has 30sec of sample time splitted in 4 banks of 7.2 sec and I think it's pretty uncomfortable if you can't make just one bank.

Yep the 900 accepts only dd floppies.

I also use the mp2000 for making Jungle dnb, ltj bukem style, and it would be cool to have a timestretch feature too.

I sample everything in mono on the 2000 so there is no problem for the 950
Old 30th August 2014
you can install a hxc in a s900
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

the asr 10 for 250 euros is a very good price if it is expanded and is probably the best sampler in the list. this is a beast of an sampler. if you are looking for an warm sampler this is the one.

250 euros for an s 950 is also great. 950 is a very good sampler but it is not as versatile as the asr 10.

eps is another candidate, this one can sound lofi and grimy and very clean and warm. but the problem is that the most eps need maintenance. so if you aware of this and or can do it yourself this is also an good option.

never had an emax but it has an analog filter and it should sound close to an sp 1200.

the mirage is a strange beast, but for sampling and chopping the samples this is not the right sampler. this is more like a soundsculpting synth.

the plus on the ensoniqs is, that they can be used for chopping up samples but also works great as an synth. the asr 10 has some top notch fx and it can resample, which opens up new possibilities.

the think about getting an lofi sound or warmer sound it is not only the sampler. it is how you sample and it also depends on the samplerate and about pitching sounds in the sampler. the s 950 sounds very clean on higher samplerates... so it is not about the 12bit. the casio fz samplers are maybe an alternative they are 16 bit but can sound dirty and warm....

for me the ensoniqs are the best bet, because of workflow and the many possibilities you have to work with your samples. you can make whole beats and songs on them. the sequencer is good enough, then track it out to the daw and finish your mix.
Old 31st August 2014
S900 is the cheapest people know about the 950 now. ..Other one to consider is the 1000 which is still colored and stereo. And cheap
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

How long are your instrumentals?
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Maniac

From what ive read the 950 can give a dirty sound if used properly.. I think it would work quite good with my Kam turntable which has 78rpm velocity too.. for drums especially.. so not just a resampling unit at all..

The asr 10.. yeah nice piece of gear.. just think about necro.. check Robbery for example.. fking raw

Both asr and eps are nice but I dont have enough space for a keyboard, I need a rack..

Is the s1000 sound similiar to the mpc 2000 (not xl)?

@misterkarloff www.soundcloud.com/jayglo-1
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Maniac

Id love an emax rack but they're rare
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what ive read the 950 can give a dirty sound if used properly.. I think it would work quite good with my Kam turntable which has 78rpm velocity too.. for drums especially.. so not just a resampling unit at all..

The asr 10.. yeah nice piece of gear.. just think about necro.. check Robbery for example.. fking raw

Both asr and eps are nice but I dont have enough space for a keyboard, I need a rack..

Or just answer the question
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Maniac

About 2mins
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Do you know what kind of sample time your looking at with these old samplers
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear
S1000 is 16 bit (not 12 bit) 22kHz to 44.1 kHz.
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Maniac

Of course im not going to resample the whole 2min track in one time, its obvious. but each pattern" and maybe resequencing them on the 2000 via midi.

i dont know the exactly passages to do it but I don't think this is a complex operation
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

for choppin samples on this samplers you should have at least 2mb everything else is really difficult to work with.

mirage memory is to small, same for the s 900. 950 fully expanded is ok for this task, ensoniq eps fully expanded is also enough. same goes for casio fz if fully expanded. emax for chopping samples is for my opinion also to small.
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Maniac

U seem to b pretty set on the 950 and u said u needed a rack which is unfortunate,might b worth waiting to get and asr rack. There is something about ensoniq sound that is just really dope. The eps u listed is overpriced and as others have mentioned id stay away from some of the samplers on that list. As for the whole resampling the track thing well im not sure if it is such a great idea but hey try it. U may want to look into something like an sp 404, there are lots of cats out there that are using that sampler for that purpose, resampling full beats and performing live using the fx and whatnot.

Personally if it was me id cop the asr and b done with it. By far the sampler with the highest potential ceiling out of all of those but that's just my two.
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Maniac

Edit: someone pls correct me if im wrong but to my knowledge part of the sound on drums for the 950 comes not only from the bit rate but also from hitting the inputs
hard, which works well on drums alone but can have less desirable effects when u have more musical and sustained passages in there. Again I may b wrong I ve never worked with a 950.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

you are right. the inputs on the s 950 distorts really nice. i havent used it that much. but it can distort in a good way. some samplers start making ugly noise when you hit the inputs to hot.

the eps is an real sleeper. it is overlooked most of the time because of the eps 16. many think it is the same but with fx. soundwise they are different. the eps 16 is between the asr 10 and the eps classic. problem with the classic is they are really old and many of the eps out there dont perform in the specs. and they have some problems. but you are right the ensoniqs deliver in the sound department.

@jayglo: I checked your soundcloud and i really liked your music. For this kind of music asr 10, eps and the s 950 would work and be useful for you. But we are on Gearslutz here buy them all
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Maniac

^ I use the eps 16 and while I love it , I still think 250 euros for an eps or eps 16 is overpriced even if its maxed with scsi installed. Foe that matter I find the s900 and 950 s that I see overpriced as well for what they r. U mostly pay for the hype and
Because at one time they were the go to sampler that shaped a lot of the 90s sound. From a pure spec standpoint they aren't that great.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post

This was the video that sold me on the S-330 and S-550 roland modules.

The S-330 is just a lower spec version of the S-550 from my understanding.
hey mate,..

just bought a S-550 because of that video.
thanks for sharing!
Old 1st September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
hey mate,..

just bought a S-550 because of that video.
thanks for sharing!
Let me know if you need a copy of the 2 OS disc's for it. I just use one of the 24" Monitors (Samsung LCD TV) component (yellow RCA) in my studio and run the display for it.

I will say most Roland samplers are not a super easy to navigate, but once you get the hang of it there fairly well layed out. Honestly, don't know why people sleep on them other than everyone hypes the akai's.
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Maniac

^ one of the roland s is on my list but not up there, I have the yamaha a b4 it. Its interesting the emu e line is pretty criminally slept on as far as hip hop goes. Which I kinda get after piking one up, but for the fact that an e series with 4.7 bridges the gap so well between ensoniq and akai. I don't know if any other samplers out there that can accept pretty much all other samplers formats and export wave files. For the roland s its prob just a matter of timing and the whole people that wanted full workstations as opposed to just a rack sampler. I mean mpc s were incredibly popular and appart from the 4000 yhe actual sampler side of things was a joke on those units. Prob also an effect of how easy it was/is to work with samples in the traditional "chopping" sense. Don't know much aboutthe rolands but with the emu chopping and assigning is a PITA. I got mine for other purposes thk god. It takes me almost triple the time to do what I do on my eps 16 and that's with templates set up to save time. Anyways this is getting off topic.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post
Let me know if you need a copy of the 2 OS disc's for it. I just use one of the 24" Monitors (Samsung LCD TV) component (yellow RCA) in my studio and run the display for it.

I will say most Roland samplers are not a super easy to navigate, but once you get the hang of it there fairly well layed out. Honestly, don't know why people sleep on them other than everyone hypes the akai's.
Thanks man!
i'll let you know if i need it.
the s-550 will come with a bunch of discs, mouse and monitor.
it'll probably take me a few weeks before i really can dive deeper into it.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Actually, I believe it gives a dirty sound when used improperly.
If you're choosy with sample rate and levels it does sound really grimy and amazing for boom bap drums. You need to play back what you sample often when you first start and find what works for you. I find sampling kicks at lower sample rates hitting it hard is best, but hats need to be sampled at higher rates or they no longer sound like hats. But I almost always hit it 'in the red' (in the grey?).

Typically what I do, is sample from record clean into the 2000xl, since chopping and trimming is much easier and faster on that, and then record the samples into the s950 adjusting sample rate/levels from there. I like it better because I can then adjust the rate/level differently for kick/snare/hat/etc.

I love the ASR but if you already have another clean-ish sampler I wouldn't go for one yet. Although the ASR and 2000XL do have a slight character they add, both of them are probably close enough to the original source not to be noticed in a mix. I just love the ASR for making instruments out of bits of samples, because it's just so easy for that, and workflow wise the unit is really great for it (and some of the auto looping features work really well too). Also the ASR effects are killer - which is why I have a DP2 and a DP4+ (also I believe you can pass audio through and use it as an effect unit, if you have any use for that). I usually choose between the 2000xl and ASR for what I'm trying to do - not how they sound. The s950 pretty much only gets turned on for dirty drums or 808s.

Just realize when buying any of these units they'll all have a bit of a learning curve, but once you get over it they (mostly) make sense. IMO the s950 has nothing in common with the mpcs. And the ASR may have been the most difficult sampler for me to get into.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsquash View Post
you can install a hxc in a s900
Yeah, I have the hxc in my s950 - but I thought I heard something about the 900 only supporting normal density floppies and the 950 supporting double density, or something along those lines?
I could be totally wrong, just something to look into before choosing one...
📝 Reply