The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Equipment is POINTLESS....especially moniters. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th July 2014
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Equipment is POINTLESS....especially moniters.

i am coming to the conclusion that equipment is more of a hindrance than benefit. I musically type, use a pc, and use computer speakers to mix. I sound pretty ****ing professional. I am too poor to pay for equipment but i've achieve the sound I want. I don't know if my mix is good because i have no moniters but on my computer speakers my stuff sounds GLEAMING. Do you guys think equipment is a must? And I just overly optimistic that you can use ANYTHING to make a beat? I think I will never "make it" because i am just some punk in the country making beats. But I am long over "getting on." I just want to produce.
Old 27th July 2014
  #2
Gear Addict
 
mitchiemasha's Avatar
 

If your beats are good, people WILL want to use them.

You might have the music in you and be very talented. That mix of yours might be exceptionally good but it will not sound super polished, Pro finished, you might get close but with out the plugins or hardware, you're lieing to yourself.

For the rest of us not musically talented or dry of our younger imagination, desire to explore musical expression/creativity, it's just about shinny bits of equipment with knobs on. This is GearSluts after all!!!
Old 27th July 2014
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
CharlesEdward3rd's Avatar
 

It's tdot's Time of the month again, somebody get the tampons, its bout to get messy.
Old 27th July 2014
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
i am coming to the conclusion that equipment is more of a hindrance than benefit. I musically type, use a pc, and use computer speakers to mix. I sound pretty ****ing professional. I am too poor to pay for equipment but i've achieve the sound I want. I don't know if my mix is good because i have no moniters but on my computer speakers my stuff sounds GLEAMING. Do you guys think equipment is a must? And I just overly optimistic that you can use ANYTHING to make a beat? I think I will never "make it" because i am just some punk in the country making beats. But I am long over "getting on." I just want to produce.
gear is only a tool,
its not a crutch,
good quality gear makes it easy to get good results
less quality, highly compromised gear causes me to struggle harder to get where I want to go.
That's the long and short of it,
If you value your art enough, you might refine the tools you use to make it.
No way would I ever think about making music in my kitchen because I work from a well equipped purpose built studio.

If you are "into" gear, you will eventually learn that -- its just gear. But the better it works and sounds, the better the difference will be for my work, which is why I spent so much money on all of it.
Old 27th July 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
I don't know if my mix is good because i have no moniters but on my computer speakers my stuff sounds GLEAMING.
This is why good monitors are essential!

Currently, you have no idea if what you're doing sounds good on anything but speakers specifically designed to fool you into thinking things sound better than they are.

If you mixed so that your stuff sounds good on two sets of proper monitors, your car speakers, a good set of headphones, AND your computer speakers, then you'd KNOW FOR A FACT your stuff was "gleaming."

But currently, you only know you sound good in your bedroom on your computer speakers. You have no clue whether the "gleam" will translate to anywhere else in the world.

See the point of proper monitoring? Its to ensure that EVERYONE ELSE can hear the mix as you do. Which is absolutely essential to a successful mix.
Old 27th July 2014
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Toni-P's Avatar
lol..gotta be a troll post haha
Old 27th July 2014
  #7
Gear Head
 

Can you post some of your music?


Nevermind, just saw your soundcloud link.
Old 27th July 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Not pointless but I find it intriguing that after watching videos on all of my favorite artists none of them really have anything high end at all and these are the actual professional musicians. This is for all genres but for hiphop wow, even further. All of these big producers are using an Mbox 2 and KRK Rokits or HS80 monitors. If you think you need gear to get placements or signed you have it all backwards. Go watch SeeTheSound on youtube none of these guys are using slutty boutique gear.
Old 27th July 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

Just listening to your one instrumental in your signature. It doesn't sound bad for being mixed on computer speakers but it's far from a great mix. It's not necessarily going to hinder you, though I hear more and more that the better the beat sounds, the quicker someone will want to hop on it. That's been my personal experience too, I just talked to a respected mixing engineer and member here, he said it's getting crazy how many tracks some of these artists are going through so the better the sound, the better your chances of getting that opportunity.

Then there is the other side, are you trying to get placements, or trying to release your music? If you are releasing your own, do you plan to mix it? I do agree that you don't need great gear, especially when you are sending things out to others to mix.

One thing to take into account. I have been to plenty of home studios of professional artists that seem pretty lack luster to many on here. One main difference is that though they may track at home, that doesn't ever mean it's the final version of something, even if it is, the main thing they usually have is a good mic. Nobody is mixing anything in that room though, it's only tracking, that's it. Always look at the credits, never assume that the room it was created in is where it stops. That's not to say people haven't tracked vocals in a hotel room, mixed an album at a hotel room, but it should never be assumed that when someone is mixing at a hotel room, they finished the mix there either. Just saying.
Old 28th July 2014
  #10
If you're trying to be a mix engineer, being able to hear what you're doing is pretty much essential.

Even for "beatmaking"...your beats can only improve if you can trust what you hear.

So no - don't agree really!
Old 28th July 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 

It all depends what you're tryna do. If you're satisfied with your music & your processes & the quality of your sound, then sure, why change what works?

But if you want to improve any of those aspects/qualities, well then you're gonna make changes. And often times that equals EQUIPMENT.

So yeah If you're satisfied where you're at, stay there & enjoy! You're one of the lucky ones whos got it allllll figured out.

Woohoo!
Old 28th July 2014
  #12
Gear Head
 

I kind of agree. I have changed my setup at least 3-4 times in the last 10+ years of music making. But I still make music exactly the same way. Just slight enhancements in workflow or sound. But give me any gear and I will still pretty much make the same music. You just cant get caught in gear hype. Its easy to buy more gear as an excuse to why you arent making better music.
Old 28th July 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 

I think thats a different kind of gearslut.
Old 28th July 2014
  #14
Gear Nut
 

Personal preference for certain monitors, the room together with the rest of the gear just contribute to your own style imo. Perfect setups, clinical accurate monitoring in a perfect room, and having millions of options to go anywhere just make it harder to develop your own style and sticking with things. You need to know what person you are, and choose what works best to prevent your weaker self to influence your work negatively, keeping you away from getting things done.
Old 29th July 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 

I believe a good mix is more about the frequency levels and the overall master should sound good on any type of system whether that being cheap small speakers or expensive infinity type speaker's. Lately whiles waiting to buy new montiors I've used my headphones and just watch my levels. Some of the best sound engineers used the worse crap in order of perfecting their mix quality in order of becoming better.
Old 30th July 2014
  #16
Gear Nut
 
Block416's Avatar
 

You might as well track vox with your laptop mic with that outlook and see how ****ing "professional" it sounds
either invest in
1 cheap set of monitors

2 expensive open back headphones ( a set of monitors will do you better )

3 a mix engineer to mix your beats after you arrange them

no artist that takes his/her music as a career is going to want to invest in someone that wont invest in themselves plain and simple
Old 30th July 2014
  #17
Music is POINTLESS... especially recordings.
Old 30th July 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
What bothers me is the constant need for comparing plugins, stacking up collections of everything out there and the forensic lab testing.

I just think at some point it's just overthinking and calculating something that is supposed to be an art.

A lot of folks are in love with the process rather than the art. To some degree, it's just justifying a mediocre product, or an excuse to delay actually practice or working on a real solution.

I think that monitors is a poor example monitoring is hearing what you're doing. I life for my chefs to actually taste the food their serving, personally.
Old 30th July 2014
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
What bothers me is the constant need for comparing plugins, stacking up collections of everything out there and the forensic lab testing.

I just think at some point it's just overthinking and calculating something that is supposed to be an art.

A lot of folks are in love with the process rather than the art. To some degree, it's just justifying a mediocre product, or an excuse to delay actually practice or working on a real solution.

I think that monitors is a poor example monitoring is hearing what you're doing. I life for my chefs to actually taste the food their serving, personally.
Old 30th July 2014
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Tommycash's Avatar
 

I can commend u for not getting caught up in the gear side of things like a lot of us have. But honestly, gear is important, not as important as talent but it does make a difference. For example, if u had a quality set of monitors, u may make different mixing choices.
Old 30th July 2014
  #21
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I just think at some point it's just overthinking and calculating something that is supposed to be an art.
IMO, those who lack the type of imagination required to succeed at creating good art often take the route of becoming more calculated. They hope that they can develop a creative process that can make up for their lack of imagination. You can see this in the type of questions that get asked around here from time to time. The things that people use to enjoy exploring on their own through actually getting off their ass and making music, guys now want a handbook for so they can refer to that instead.

Equipment is pointless if the person behind that equipment posses all the wrong motives for why they even want to pursue making music in the first place.
Old 30th July 2014
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Equipment is cool. But I think if you can make an EXCELLENT product with ****ty equipment you can make a STELLAR product with great equipment. I am not saying I am the BEST but I am working on the process of making EXCELLENT music. I have only sold a handful of beats and I think I am not excellent or even great. But my product shows TALENT.
Old 30th July 2014
  #23
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
Equipment is cool. But I think if you can make an EXCELLENT product with ****ty equipment you can make a STELLAR product with great equipment. I am not saying I am the BEST but I am working on the process of making EXCELLENT music. I have only sold a handful of beats and I think I am not excellent or even great. But my product shows TALENT.
You honestly don't need to be investing money into expensive equipment until you know you will see a prompt return on that investment. As you continue to build your reputation and become more in demand, you will actually have a reason to start upgrading your equipment and add more sounds to your library.
Old 30th July 2014
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
Equipment is cool. But I think if you can make an EXCELLENT product with ****ty equipment you can make a STELLAR product with great equipment. I am not saying I am the BEST but I am working on the process of making EXCELLENT music. I have only sold a handful of beats and I think I am not excellent or even great. But my product shows TALENT.
You can't mix what you can't hear. You can't judge quality of sounds unless you can hear them correctly. It all goes into the pot.

It also makes sense not to make life hard for yourself. Yes - a given person might be great with mediocre equipment, but outstanding with quality equipment. So why not get an outstanding product?
Old 30th July 2014
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quality monitoring is not the same as collecting a museum of unnecessary gear. A simple frequency response chart will tell you why good monitors are not pointless. Also don't mistake testing tools for quality as a violation in the process of making music. In the movie biz we expect continuous improvement and technological innovation, yet some pretend we've gone as far as we can go in music. You wonder why the commercial standard is fatiguing, cold, and has no unique sonic identity to it. "Hey James Cameron quit innovating and acquiring bigger and better cameras you don't need to do any of that it's pointless in art." I don't understand this mentality in music. If you're not interested or passionate about the tech side, that's fine. But shooting down its value simply because you don't care about it yourself is foolish. It doesn't distract from the art if you have a logical mind about. Before Hans Zimmer starts a new project his team plays around with tons of instruments and gear to see what sources he can get a certain aesthetic from. It's not like "ok I just did the brass line, let me test every plugin and see what sounds good on this brass line. Okay now I've done strings, let me test everything again for strings." All of this stuff is decided beforehand, outside of the process of production. There is no distraction. It's just another facet of the art. Developing a sonic signature is just as artistic as the music you make, and the tools you choose are absolutely essential in doing that. It's honestly the equivalent of cinematography in film. Take away the look and feel of a Christopher Nolan film and you have a very different movie. Produce the first couple Zeppelin records with a completely different team. No big drums, no ambience, no vocal leaks. Completely different result. I don't understand how this whole side of things has no artistic value when it's such a big determinant in the final result.
Old 30th July 2014
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anstahc View Post
Quality monitoring is not the same as collecting a museum of unnecessary gear. A simple frequency response chart will tell you why good monitors are not pointless. Also don't mistake testing tools for quality as a violation in the process of making music. In the movie biz we expect continuous improvement and technological innovation, yet some pretend we've gone as far as we can go in music. You wonder why the commercial standard is fatiguing, cold, and has no unique sonic identity to it. "Hey James Cameron quit innovating and acquiring bigger and better cameras you don't need to do any of that it's pointless in art." I don't understand this mentality in music. If you're not interested or passionate about the tech side, that's fine. But shooting down its value simply because you don't care about it yourself is foolish. It doesn't distract from the art if you have a logical mind about. Before Hans Zimmer starts a new project his team plays around with tons of instruments and gear to see what sources he can get a certain aesthetic from. It's not like "ok I just did the brass line, let me test every plugin and see what sounds good on this brass line. Okay now I've done strings, let me test everything again for strings." All of this stuff is decided beforehand, outside of the process of production. There is no distraction. It's just another facet of the art. Developing a sonic signature is just as artistic as the music you make, and the tools you choose are absolutely essential in doing that. It's honestly the equivalent of cinematography in film. Take away the look and feel of a Christopher Nolan film and you have a very different movie. Produce the first couple Zeppelin records with a completely different team. No big drums, no ambience, no vocal leaks. Completely different result. I don't understand how this whole side of things has no artistic value when it's such a big determinant in the final result.
I am not saying there is not artistic value in being a "gearslut" but lets not get it twisted, some people have it, some don't. Hording equipment is cool but it you don't have SKILL its pointless. This skill will show through anything you use. Hell, look at leadbelly. He just had a guitar and a dream. SKILL is whats important and we can't lose track of this.
Old 30th July 2014
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
I am not saying there is not artistic value in being a "gearslut" but lets not get it twisted, some people have it, some don't. Hording equipment is cool but it you don't have SKILL its pointless. This skill will show through anything you use. Hell, look at leadbelly. He just had a guitar and a dream. SKILL is whats important and we can't lose track of this.
Hoarding equipment and skills not important? I didn't suggest either.
Old 30th July 2014
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anstahc View Post
Hoarding equipment and skills not important? I didn't suggest either.
i get what you are saying. I am just saying though.
Old 30th July 2014
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
i am coming to the conclusion that equipment is more of a hindrance than benefit. I musically type, use a pc, and use computer speakers to mix. I sound pretty ****ing professional. I am too poor to pay for equipment but i've achieve the sound I want. I don't know if my mix is good because i have no moniters but on my computer speakers my stuff sounds GLEAMING. Do you guys think equipment is a must? And I just overly optimistic that you can use ANYTHING to make a beat? I think I will never "make it" because i am just some punk in the country making beats. But I am long over "getting on." I just want to produce.
Your other thread is counter to the point you are trying to make here.
My advice is don't start another thread and do all the research you can on monitoring and learn the benefits of a solid monitoring environment. After you have learned learned learned until your brain is numb ask us some questions based on your new found knowledge.
Old 30th July 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
i get what you are saying. I am just saying though.
I don't know what you are saying. Nobody made the argument that presentation supercedes talent, so I'm not sure what your point is in downplaying presentation to the degree of calling it pointless. Jimmy Page was loaded with skills and still did things like put a 2nd microphone 20 ft behind the amp to see what happens. That was 45 years ago. Downplaying tech importance is archaic.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump