The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Equipment is POINTLESS....especially moniters. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anstahc View Post
"Lebron is a world class athlete...he's only good at basketball though...just sayin..."

Snide
MJ was a better basketball player, yet he couldn't hit a curveball...just sayin'

You took my original statement as snide - I told you it wasn't, and explained myself...let it go bro...
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
I'm the bargain shopper of peoples nightmares.
I guess the literal opposite would be 'an opulent seller of animal's dreams'...

dear lord, the possibilities...
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

the op is right. beyonce and jay-z recently did a show in an arena with 20,000 people and the entire sound system was a pair of diamond encrusted ear buds on a silk pillow center stage
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
the op is right. beyonce and jay-z recently did a show in an arena with 20,000 people and the entire sound system was a pair of diamond encrusted ear buds on a silk pillow center stage
the pillow was there as a self defense tool in case Solange came a kickin' and swinging for the fences...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
the pillow was there as a self defense tool in case Solange came a kickin' and swinging for the fences...
Good to know. I thought it was there in case Elton John showed up and wanted something to sit on.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
i am coming to the conclusion that equipment is more of a hindrance than benefit. I musically type, use a pc, and use computer speakers to mix. I sound pretty ****ing professional. I am too poor to pay for equipment but i've achieve the sound I want. I don't know if my mix is good because i have no moniters but on my computer speakers my stuff sounds GLEAMING. Do you guys think equipment is a must? And I just overly optimistic that you can use ANYTHING to make a beat? I think I will never "make it" because i am just some punk in the country making beats. But I am long over "getting on." I just want to produce.
i wouldn't say all that... i barely have any equipment myself.. except for some mixing headphones monitors.. and a keyboard....
honestly if you honestly don't think you need monitors.. hear your beats through some professional monitors and see how they sound and if it still sounds good.. then **** monitors
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Use what you think helps your creativity. I'd rather have a keyboard cause I come up with stuff I wouldn't play musically typing. Maschine is cool not just as a controller but as a host for all their great sound sources etc. There are multiple reasons to have a piece of gear. in the videos with Lex the ONLY thing he has are monitors. HS80's through some cheap ass mixer interface. Not even a keyboard.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaineAudio View Post
i wouldn't say all that... i barely have any equipment myself.. except for some mixing headphones monitors.. and a keyboard....
honestly if you honestly don't think you need monitors.. hear your beats through some professional monitors and see how they sound and if it still sounds good.. then **** monitors
Regardless of one particular user's experiences...the vast majority of professional level released music is mixed using a good reference system, and mastered on even better systems. Most people cannot mix well on headphones.

Just because you manage, it does not mean that it's a good route to take. I'm sure you'd swap your headphones for a perfect control room, given the choice?
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Regardless of one particular user's experiences...the vast majority of professional level released music is mixed using a good reference system, and mastered on even better systems. Most people cannot mix well on headphones.

Just because you manage, it does not mean that it's a good route to take. I'm sure you'd swap your headphones for a perfect control room, given the choice?
true true.. but if you have no money.. you gotta do what you gottta do right? im not at the level yet where i get to mix in a big studio.. i learned to mix a couple years ago and i don't set out to be the best mixer... i just want a decent respectable mix and i'm happy... i get that and more most of the time
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

perseverance, desire and talent will get you far indeed, and overcome a lot of things,
that said in reference to the OP, it only makes sense to have as decent monitoring - at least up to what one can afford, it can only help, and otherwise it might actually impede progress by giving a false sense of the sonic picture...
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Saying u dont need monitors is like saying you dont need your ears. Sure, u can make music without hearing it, but u aint Beethoven son......get over it.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

I would gladly use nothing but stock plugins and a 58 if I could mix in a professionally-treated room.

You reach a point where you realize why engineers spend the money. You will never get there with your computer speakers and with that attitude you will never get there period.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
I would gladly use nothing but stock plugins and a 58 if I could mix in a professionally-treated room.

You reach a point where you realize why engineers spend the money. You will never get there with your computer speakers and with that attitude you will never get there period.
I would rather sing in a 58 in a professionally treated room then a U87 in my bedroom. My vocal quality and energy is far better when I can hear myself against natural reverberation of the room.
Old 10th August 2014
Quote:
true true.. but if you have no money.. you gotta do what you gottta do right? im not at the level yet where i get to mix in a big studio.. i learned to mix a couple years ago and i don't set out to be the best mixer... i just want a decent respectable mix and i'm happy... i get that and more most of the time
Of course. My point is that the OP is misguided, not that you don't do what you have to! Monitors (I'm assuming that's what he means by "moniters") are far from pointless, even if many of us have less than ideal spaces.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Of course. My point is that the OP is misguided, not that you don't do what you have to! Monitors (I'm assuming that's what he means by "moniters") are far from pointless, even if many of us have less than ideal spaces.
lotta rappers release tracks on beats that are mixed poorly.. ALSO .. a rapper usually has an engineer who could mix the beat if you send them the stems .. so ask yourself again.. are monitors REALLY needed?
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
lotta rappers release tracks on beats that are mixed poorly.. ALSO .. a rapper usually has an engineer who could mix the beat if you send them the stems .. so ask yourself again.. are monitors REALLY needed?
If your not charting, then it's probably because the poor mix isn't radio ready, and if your not making money then you more then likely are not working with an engineer.

And then, why would you want to make your engineer's job any harder with a crap mix? Your engineers will love working with you if you work with them.

So yeah, monitor's are really needed.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Maniac

The spectrum between needed and pointless is extremely vast
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Insert opinion here.
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
Most amateur guys have nothing of the sort, most stems aren't available from downloaded "beats".

I mean yeah, if you're shooting for mediocre, absolutely, nothing is needed - heck, you don't even need a mic, just record it on a camera phone and upload to YouTube....

Point is, some quality somewhere helps. If you're shipping out the mixing, monitoring is less crucial. OP was mixing his own tracks though.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If your not charting, then it's probably because the poor mix isn't radio ready, and if your not making money then you more then likely are not working with an engineer.

And then, why would you want to make your engineer's job any harder with a crap mix? Your engineers will love working with you if you work with them.

You have a good point and as a professional Engineer should know and 99.9% will agree that monitors are needed at some point or another.

But in all honesty, (And I am not a Engineer) I remember a few years back recording a song at a studio with the artist who sang on my track and the song needed a lot of work regarding her singing pitch being 80% off key and the Engineer tracking each of the instruments files off my keyboards etc. along with the vocal mix. Everything was going good except for the mix of the song because the so-called Engineer couldn't mix that well (I should of realized this with him charging only $30/hr)

Regardless, I decided to Master the terrible mix wave file myself (A newby Engineer at that time without Monitors only using headphones). I did the best I could even though the original mix levels were extremely high and clipping. I salvaged what I could and the ironic thing was the song did make the charts in the U.K. (No joke...) I couldn't believe it but the music and lyrics shined through the bad mix. I believe this happened because the majority of listeners are indeed that 0.1% who haven't a clue of good mixes and this is something that mostly Engineers understand.
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
You have a good point and as a professional Engineer should know and 99.9% will agree that monitors are needed at some point or another.

But in all honesty, (And I am not a Engineer) I remember a few years back recording a song at a studio with the artist who sang on my track and the song needed a lot of work regarding her singing pitch being 80% off key and the Engineer tracking each of the instruments files off my keyboards etc. along with the vocal mix. Everything was going good except for the mix of the song because the so-called Engineer couldn't mix that well (I should of realized this with him charging only $30/hr)

Regardless, I decided to Master the terrible mix wave file myself (A newby Engineer at that time without Monitors only using headphones). I did the best I could even though the original mix levels were extremely high and clipping. I salvaged what I could and the ironic thing was the song did make the charts in the U.K. (No joke...) I couldn't believe it but the music and lyrics shined through the bad mix. I believe this happened because the majority of listeners are indeed that 0.1% who haven't a clue of good mixes and this is something that mostly Engineers understand.
While that may be true, you still met a certain quality level and used a certain amount to get at it. So equipment isn't pointless.

Some **** mixes chart, but mostly because it was seen as an artistic statement.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
While that may be true, you still met a certain quality level and used a certain amount to get at it. So equipment isn't pointless.

Some **** mixes chart, but mostly because it was seen as an artistic statement.
Yes, I can definitely agree with you on that. Some kinda of equipment is needed.
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
Yes, I can definitely agree with you on that. Some kinda of equipment is needed.
And from what I hear on the radio these days of the rap category, there production unless an artist statement of lo fi is made, is pristine.

The underground guys that's a whole other story. I actually like the gritty lo fi underground stuff much better!

Something about ****ty lo-fi adds a darker more edgy sound to it, which I tend to gravitate more too.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

most rappers record in studio's.. so there's def some type of engineer usually.. but it depends how high you are on the totem pole
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
most rappers record in studio's.. so there's def some type of engineer usually.. but it depends how high you are on the totem pole
Exactly. So if your not high up on the totem, monitors and equipment become even more important, because your the last line of defense before it hits whatever outlet it goes to.

If you are charting and have a studio you work with, then I can see equipment taking more of a backseat, as youd just get your songs sketches down and commit them in the studio.

Me as a singer, I need to hear and hear well to hit my points in the track right. I can only imagine a rapper having the same problems. You lose the beat, you lose your seat.
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly. So if your not high up on the totem, monitors and equipment become even more important, because your the last line of defense before it hits whatever outlet it goes to.

If you are charting and have a studio you work with, then I can see equipment taking more of a backseat, as youd just get your songs sketches down and commit them in the studio.

Me as a singer, I need to hear and hear well to hit my points in the track right. I can only imagine a rapper having the same problems. You lose the beat, you lose your seat.
true but i'm coming from a producer standpoint... if i'm a rapper.. i want my quality as good as possible... as a producer.. it was a lil different .. for me at least.. i got my first major placement on a unmixed track i did.. wAAYYY before i even knew what mixing really was..
Old 16th August 2014
Quote:
true but i'm coming from a producer standpoint... if i'm a rapper.. i want my quality as good as possible... as a producer.. it was a lil different .. for me at least.. i got my first major placement on a unmixed track i did.. wAAYYY before i even knew what mixing really was..
Those things do happen. But I think with the onset of home audio it's becoming increasingly rare. If an 16 year old can get close in his basement studio and somebody comes up with a tape made on a boom box, unless its golden dynamite, it just looks lazy to whomever is reviewing it. You got maybe 30 seconds to get their attention, you want those 30 seconds to hit hard.

In the day when home audio was more of a joke, it was easier to get by on a crap mix, because everybody's mix was crap!
Old 19th August 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
And from what I hear on the radio these days of the rap category, there production unless an artist statement of lo fi is made, is pristine.

The underground guys that's a whole other story. I actually like the gritty lo fi underground stuff much better!

Something about ****ty lo-fi adds a darker more edgy sound to it, which I tend to gravitate more too.
Yeah, and while lo-fi it was often mixed, and mastered better.
I still hear "new" r&b/hip-hop songs distorting because of volume wars which is just an engineer somewhere lowering his standards for money.
Yesterday I listened to a lot of music in my living room on my revealing if not tonally accurate Yammay ns6490's.
A new song was playing, and it sounded like I was overloading the speakers, but when I turned the volume down the distortion was still present, and made the song sound ruined, and terrible.
I guess kids listening to music on Beats, and speakers that look like soda cans won't notice or care?
Old 20th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by levern420 View Post
i am coming to the conclusion that equipment is more of a hindrance than benefit. I musically type, use a pc, and use computer speakers to mix. I sound pretty ****ing professional. I am too poor to pay for equipment but i've achieve the sound I want. I don't know if my mix is good because i have no moniters but on my computer speakers my stuff sounds GLEAMING. Do you guys think equipment is a must? And I just overly optimistic that you can use ANYTHING to make a beat? I think I will never "make it" because i am just some punk in the country making beats. But I am long over "getting on." I just want to produce.
Many people would think that proper monitoring is one of the most important things to have in a studio.

That said proper monitoring is more than just speakers, it is also good positioning and acoustics. Sure you can get adjusted to a crappy system but if you have a room that don't translate, you will often have to keep making adjustments to make something translate and there will be certain frequencies your speakers just can't produce properly.

Sure it can be done and probably not that important for someone making beats or songwriting, but I'd think if you are mixing as a profession, monitoring is a good profession.

That said, headphones can help deal with bad acoustics but can produce their own problems. I do know many folks that makes great sounding stuff with headphones though.

It is a good convenience factor but I'd think a good monitoring system could save some time. I often went to studios and could hear all types of details I couldn't hear at home.
Old 20th August 2014
Lives for gear
I think the answer for a guy who just "makes beats" or produces is somewhere in the middle. Do you need expensive gear? Hell no. A $500 set of monitors, an Apogee Duet, and $500 microphone can make major label records for sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search