The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
32 inputs
Old 14th November 2006
Lives for gear

32 inputs

What's up everyone? I'm at the point where I need to upgrade my inputs for monitoring and tracking.

I'm working with external samplers/synths and would like 32 outs wired up for monitoring and recording at any given moment. I'm sick of tracking 8 tracks at a time with a motu 828mkII. I track vocals thru Rosetta 200 to 828 via lightpipe.

I've read some good stuff on the RME audio Hammerfall but am not sure if it's mac compatible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My gear is pretty typical :

mpc 60II
mpc 2500
SP-1200
Triton
FantonS

Any suggestions are appreciated.

D
Old 14th November 2006
Lives for gear

the motu 24 in/out would give you .... 24 in/out's (all analog)
if you clock the motu from your apogee it should sound ok
the motu can be found for less then 500$ on ebay

grtz,

wim
Old 14th November 2006
Lives for gear

I thought of the 24/i but was hoping for something with better conversion. Any other suggestions?

D
Old 14th November 2006
Gear Nut

If your mac has normal PCI-slots the Hammerfall should work very well. At least my DIGI9652 does in my old G3...

You need to have the Mac-ROM though, in my case it was with the card.
Old 14th November 2006
no ssl yet
Dor, short of spending for several 8 channel Apogees/Digi type units there not many "inexpensive" but hi quality options for that many channels.

Most of the time that I've seen it done, it's been 8 channels at a time. I'd suggest you get a mackie LM3204 with a patchbay infront of it. That way you could hear 32 sounds at once, but track 8 and bypass the mackie circuitry with an 8ch snake when tracking.

IT's only a couple hundred dollars and it doesn't take up much rackspace (plus you can combine a second one should you need more channels for new synths later.
Old 14th November 2006
Gear Head

Check out the M-audio profire lightbridge. It is only ADAT to firewire, but four ADAT lines- that's 32 channels. You'll need to add converters, any analog to ADAT will work. I use one on my Macbook Pro. works good so far.
Old 14th November 2006
Gear Nut

Pro Tools

does the M-audio profire lightbridge work with Pro Tools M Powered

That would make a 32 channel apogee pro tools setup Ha ha
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Maniac

MOTU 8 PRE

Dor,

I am in the same predicament dude. I also have a 828MKII and am looking for expansion. Here's the solution I am looking in to. It's cost effective as well if you get 2 of these from all my research so far:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre/

They're about $550.00.
Old 19th November 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Check out the M-audio profire lightbridge. It is only ADAT to firewire, but four ADAT lines- that's 32 channels. You'll need to add converters, any analog to ADAT will work. I use one on my Macbook Pro. works good so far.
How is the mixer section on it?
Can you route all things in the HW mixer or do you need to use software monitoring, for more than one send.
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Head

I don't know much about Pro-tools, but it is M-Audio, so it may just work. There is no mixer on the M-audio profire lightbridge. It simply has four ADAT ins/outs to Firewire400. One simple driver to activate banks of channels eight at a time. you could use up to four different brands of eight channel pre-amps that go to ADAT, or you could connect a Behringer DDX3216 via lightpipe for sixteen automated inputs, a motu 8-pre, and an RME 8-pre with no driver conflicts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search