The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Take sampling out the equation... Which Producer(s)
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Take sampling out the equation... Which Producer(s)

(rap-hiphop producers) would be able to create original music compositions from scratch and be successful

???

yeah i know this is a hiphop forum and people's brains are confused right now saying:

"What? how can you make music w/o sampling? what is this clown talking about?"

i'm just trying to see how people think about music

i'll start you off

Scott Storch

who else? name em and why?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Dj Quik
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post

yeah i know this is a hiphop forum and people's brains are confused right now saying:

"What? how can you make music w/o sampling? what is this clown talking about?"
Wow. Condescending much?
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

I'd say Timbaland, even though he sometimes uses samples, most of his succesful work has been original music from scratch.
same for Dr Dre, but he samples more than Timbaland.
Will.I.Am also sampled alot, but he produced alot of original urban music in the mid 00's that was great.
Pharrell Williams has done alot too.

I personally think most hip hop producers are relying to much on samples to make good productions. I understand that hip hop started of by mixing two different loops together and experimenting new sounds up, but as of today, when pretty much every hip hop producer got a computer where they can have an unlimited amount of different instruments, there really is no excuse to sample. Your only limit is how creative you are with melodies, chords, baselines and drum work.
The only reasons to use samples i can find is that you either like the old school sound and want to mimic it to get the sound right, or that you arent a good enough producer to make good melodies on your on. Either way, samlping is not creative, UNLESS you make it sound nothing like the original music.
But that's just my opinion.
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Levander View Post
or that you arent a good enough producer to make good melodies on your on. Either way, samlping is not creative, UNLESS you make it sound nothing like the original music.
But that's just my opinion.
If you don't understand the magic of truly great music, yes that's just your opinion.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

no interpolations of old music either

i'm talking "original" material

@Vibes Antagonist

that statement isnt meant to be condescending...i put it there because someone will start talking about the history of hiphop built on sampling etc etc

and then we'll have a blah blah debate on sampling and not being creative and whatnot
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search