The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Free Morcheeba Beat Treats Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Addict

Nice! Getting into these now.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Bless you crazy beatmakers! Thanks for keeping a middle aged drum freak smiling.......
Thank you much. Big fan, and saw you guys in Phoenix around 1997. Great show. Trigger Hippie was my jam for a long time, as was the entire album, and I've loved the sound ever since. It's extraordinary for you to share like this. \m/
Old 27th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Thank you much. Big fan, and saw you guys in Phoenix around 1997. Great show. Trigger Hippie was my jam for a long time, as was the entire album, and I've loved the sound ever since. It's extraordinary for you to share like this. \m/
Wow that was 20 years ago! Trigger Hippie was the peak of Morcheeba

No worries, thanks! Paul "Morcheeba" Godfrey
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

I don't know about the peak, but that album was just what I wanted to hear - before I even knew it, and it resonated with me then and still does, mood wise, tempo, tonally, all of it really. It was a special time, too, when there wasn't much downtempo music back then. You were onto something then and still are, and I thank you for it.

It's a shame I wasn't able to meet you and speak with you back then, but it's a pleasure to now.

Old 27th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I don't know about the peak, but that album was just what I wanted to hear - before I even knew it, and it resonated with me then and still does, mood wise, tempo, tonally, all of it really. It was a special time, too, when there wasn't much downtempo music back then. You were onto something then and still are, and I thank you for it.

It's a shame I wasn't able to meet you and speak with you back then, but it's a pleasure to now.

I remember standing in the space out front of the venue. It was sunny I think. I was talking to some folks for a while. Alway used to hang out and make new friends, that's when I wasn't too wasted.
Old 28th April 2017
SEED78
Funny, I've been listening to Trigger Hippy a fair bit recently - there is a real darkness to the sound of the recording, was it mixed on a old Neve or something?
Old 28th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Funny, I've been listening to Trigger Hippy a fair bit recently - there is a real darkness to the sound of the recording, was it mixed on a old Neve or something?
It was mixed on a Mackie . Mike Marsh mastered it very well.

I think the sidestick break loop slowed down almost an octave gives it that sound.
Old 28th April 2017
SEED78
Quote:
It was mixed on a Mackie . Mike Marsh mastered it very well.

I think the sidestick break loop slowed down almost an octave gives it that sound.
Brilliant Just goes to show, it can be ears rather than tools. A lot of good records came out if a Mackie back then.

I guess the sample selection and vocals give most of the vibe. I remember even as a kid that track sounded unique. Loved the lyrics too.
Old 30th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Brilliant Just goes to show, it can be ears rather than tools. A lot of good records came out if a Mackie back then.

I guess the sample selection and vocals give most of the vibe. I remember even as a kid that track sounded unique. Loved the lyrics too.
Yeah I remember the first line of vocals being flat as a pancake but loved the "smacky" vibe they had and insisted we keep them. You'd never get that these days. BTW anyone who doesn't know the track, the album version is the one to check, the single is okay but doesn't have the same atmosphere and the vocals were re-recorded.

Thanks, the lyrics were generally a stream from a stoned mind before I became self conscious and the title was inspired by the Marvin Gaye line -"Trigger Happy Policing"

We had other highlights along the way but nothing matched that first stoned monster.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

I just want to chime in to thank Paul G. for the samples.

The kicks are great...perfect for layering over sub kicks. ...or the boom kick....some distortion, compression and creativity you make gnarly sustained 808-style stuff.

And the dubyard rimshots...perfect for ambient well, dub-style delays.

Ive had it for years but never expressed my thanks.
Its a go-to folder for me everytime I fire up the DAW.
Old 30th April 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Yeah I remember the first line of vocals being flat as a pancake but loved the "smacky" vibe they had and insisted we keep them. You'd never get that these days. BTW anyone who doesn't know the track, the album version is the one to check, the single is okay but doesn't have the same atmosphere and the vocals were re-recorded.

Thanks, the lyrics were generally a stream from a stoned mind before I became self conscious and the title was inspired by the Marvin Gaye line -"Trigger Happy Policing"

We had other highlights along the way but nothing matched that first stoned monster.
Old 4th December 2017
Here for the gear

Hi Paul,
Any update on your sample pack V2?
Thanks
Old 4th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeruss View Post
Hi Paul,
Any update on your sample pack V2?
Thanks
Workin' on it right now.

Be great to hear suggestions of what people miss in most sample packs?
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Fab news, use your hits all the time.

Next level additions? Some samples you've tweaked yourself; EQ/comp/colour.

Some dirty—heck, even filthy—stuff :¬)
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Workin' on it right now.

Be great to hear suggestions of what people miss in most sample packs?
i really love the dubyard sticks.
that being said, just do whatever you want, i'm sure it'll come out great.
Old 4th December 2017
Here for the gear

Yes! Great news.

To me:
Kicks : Dry in a short room but with a nice wide ambience, low tuned (my favourites ). Icing on the cake are subtle tonal variations between single hits.
Snares: Same as kicks. I like them tuned low. Acoustic ghost hits and rolls adds a lot.
Closed Hats: I like them really dry with a wide strength range. But the best thing is to play a real hihat over electronic kicks and snares.

All 3 of them melted together : YouTube
And of course : Morcheeba - Blood Like Lemonade (official) - YouTube

I really like that acoustic/electronic feel.
Old 4th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeruss View Post
Yes! Great news.

To me:
Kicks : Dry in a short room but with a nice wide ambience, low tuned (my favourites ). Icing on the cake are subtle tonal variations between single hits.
Snares: Same as kicks. I like them tuned low. Acoustic ghost hits and rolls adds a lot.
Closed Hats: I like them really dry with a wide strength range. But the best thing is to play a real hihat over electronic kicks and snares.

All 3 of them melted together : YouTube
And of course : Morcheeba - Blood Like Lemonade (official) - YouTube

I really like that acoustic/electronic feel.
Yes I have lot's of kick synths I was gonna add. Gonna do a load of funky dry loops this time too!
Old 4th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
i really love the dubyard sticks.
that being said, just do whatever you want, i'm sure it'll come out great.
Thanks Man, I'll do some cool new voodoo sidesticks!
Old 5th December 2017
SEED78
More of the same would suite me just fine - love the first lot.

For better or worse I always find myself reaching for those really tuff heavy thick drum sounds, the kind on wax people were spending a fortune on back in the day Andy Loore etc etc

Weird percussion?
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

I love the first set. Not being a real drummer myself nor having any acoustic drums of my own, these have become "my acoustic drum kit" and are either used alone or layered with synth drums for everything I'm currently working on, and they're lovely. Next best thing to being able to stop by your studio.
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Oh snap!! Forgot bout these diamonds, def need to revisit this pack. Got caught up in the whole NI infrastructure and these are def special, looking forward to the next batch

Would love to hear some amped drums, i'm assuming you have some sweet amps in your studio? I think running them thru and get some nice distortion in combination with a bit of equing from the console would give a nice layer of color, no?

On the dubside of things, maybe some dead center hits including the verb, just keep it mono&simple.... and maybe if you have any spring outboard to run it thru keep it on the dark side of spectrum...
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

just heard Big Calm on my way home because I haven't heard it in years and imo the best drums on it were always on The Sea but now I think the ones on Big Calm are even better. the reverb sounds better than I remembered.

Gonna go back to Who Can You Trust too but I can remember a lot of them clearly since they influenced me heavily. I remember the snare reverb on Trigger Hippie sounded like Havoc (mobb deep) snares (for which he is really known)
Old 5th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilipee View Post
just heard Big Calm on my way home because I haven't heard it in years and imo the best drums on it were always on The Sea but now I think the ones on Big Calm are even better. the reverb sounds better than I remembered.

Gonna go back to Who Can You Trust too but I can remember a lot of them clearly since they influenced me heavily. I remember the snare reverb on Trigger Hippie sounded like Havoc (mobb deep) snares (for which he is really known)
Thanks Mate, Big Calm and Trigger Hippie are my favourite drums. Lot's of pitching and time stretching down with the Akai S950.
The backwards Roland Space echo was one of my favourite production touches on Big Calm. The way the echoes fly at you is mad. All done on 2" tape, no DAWs.

Havoc sampled us on a mixtape a couple of years ago which was an honour.
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Can't wait for V2
Old 6th December 2017
PHG
Gear Addict

Thanks for the drums! I'm excited to load these up in the sampler.

Love your band. I remember watching that concert recorded live at Brixton Academy for like a week straight since one of the TV stations here kept airing it. It's been a few years, so I might have to check that out again soon!
Old 8th December 2017
Hi Paul, I've been using these hits for a while now. They sit at the top of my hundreds of drum packs that I've acquired over the years. Great work!
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

This thread made go back and listen to The Sea, Big Calm and Trigger Happy. I remember loving the music but never listened to it from the engineer perspective.

It's absolutely brilliant!

Paul, I'd love to know if there's a thread somewhere where you discussed some of these productions. The drum sounds are insane!
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
This thread made go back and listen to The Sea, Big Calm and Trigger Happy. I remember loving the music but never listened to it from the engineer perspective.

It's absolutely brilliant!

Paul, I'd love to know if there's a thread somewhere where you discussed some of these productions. The drum sounds are insane!
Thank you! There is a thread called "Trip Hop from the Pros" where I discuss the production of the albums, technology and beats etc.
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Well Paul, since you are taking suggestions, lol......

I personally have over a million sound drum library and these days what I miss from libraries are drums with unique filters and some grit like we used to do back in the day using pedals with samplers like the ASR10 or MPC's. Everything these days are too clean (Maschine), lacking unique character and attitude. Stacked snares with electric and live combined are rare too.
Old 9th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Well Paul, since you are taking suggestions, lol......

I personally have over a million sound drum library and these days what I miss from libraries are drums with unique filters and some grit like we used to do back in the day using pedals with samplers like the ASR10 or MPC's. Everything these days are too clean (Maschine), lacking unique character and attitude. Stacked snares with electric and live combined are rare too.
Good call Will, that's exactly what I was thinking. Stacking acoustic with modular and processing through the modular & Black Box HG-2 etc. Plus having them all listed in concert pitches like before, ready for use in a specific song without too much messing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search