The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Things You think everybody should know? Let's share. Studio Headphones
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Things You think everybody should know? Let's share.

So I'll start.

Headphone mixes.
Do your self a favor and do your best vocalist impression before hand and set good clear can mixes for every recording session.(note I didn't say loud)
Always remember the vocalist or sitar player needs to be able to accurately hear themselves so provide the best performance

Low end
A) All that bass you love so much just might be to much and adding a sub-woofer in an untreated or improperly treated room more often than not is like trying to stop a sinking boat by adding more water. Try plugging the holes first

B) listen to your favorite music in your environment and ask your self "Am I really understanding whats going on?" I say this because often times on commercial recordings the bass just isn't as powerful as we think, it's all about balance.

C) there is nothing wrong with cleaning up the bottom with some high pass. You would be surprised the room you can make with some clean up work.

Who's next ?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Get your 10,000 hours in before you wonder why you aren't signed yet.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Miley Cyrus never really rode a wrecking ball
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Eveybody should know that..........
It all depends.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

1)When tracking drums, If you are sample replacing, you dont need a 24 channel audio interface. the tracks can be recorded on a cheap boom box or a junky cell phone for that matter. as long as you can gettem into the computer.

2) To prevent headphone leakage into microphones, EARBUDS are way better than any type of headphone.

3)Try a few "bass light" mixes to see what it takes

4)Using 5 gates to knock off 5db each is better than using one gate to knock of 25 db

5)zip ties are the most important studio tool ever made.

6)buy the very best you can afford so you dont have to worry about "upgrading" it

7)cracked plugins often have spyware attached

8)When making a "serious" purchase forget the mics, pres, compressors, and other bling. Monitors are the VERY first place to start.

9)Dont gauge your partially mixed, home recorded tracks against professionally mastered material. -and wonder why you arent getting SOnSOs guitar sound.

10)On just about every piece of rack gear made, the power is on the left and the mic inputs are on the right. Stay true to that and run all your power on the left side of the rack and your mic cables on the right side.

11)Be careful not to plug in firewire backwards. It WILL burn up your interface.

12)NEVER plug the speaker outputs of your guitar amplifier into anything other than speaker cabs.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird View Post
6)buy the very best you can afford so you dont have to worry about "upgrading" it
...with the exception of REQUIRED paid software updates (like REASON and PROTOOLS)

Quote:
7)cracked plugins often have spyware attached
cracked plugins are for BUSTERS

Quote:
8)When making a "serious" purchase forget the mics, pres, compressors, and other bling. Monitors are the VERY first place to start.
right. followed by pres...$.02
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

i think that people should know that it's prolly gonna take you around 10 years-ish before you:

1: find your sound

2: develop your sound

3: polish your sound

in other words, it takes time and a LOT of reading / browsing to connect all the dots.

don't rush things and don't have an ego too early in the game.

another thing:

you can have the dopest / priciest hardware and software available...BUT...if you don't know or if you haven't mastered certain FUNDAMENTALS, you ain't gonna do your gear much justice.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

^wtf where ya been?heh

phase align your monitors..all these people looking for width and might not even be hearing right to control it..

all inclusive plugins do too much of your work for you and give you less control of your product.

Plugin verb sounds great on top of real room verb.

analog vrs digital(uh oh)heh. analog is a spear, digital is a computer animated then 3d printed spear. the analog spear is made of steal and wood, the digital looks like it is but you wont get any splinters throwing it. Both will kill ya.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Check mono compatibility of you mixes.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Don't buy until you absolutely need it.

Learn your equipment inside and out so you know its strengths and weaknesses.

Save yourself the headaches and buy a Mac. :D
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

1. Your room and monitors are the best investments you can make. Even $1,500 for both, you will likely get better quality out of a $200 mic and $200 interface than skipping it and buying a $2000 mic and a $2000 set of converters/interface.

2. Never blame other playback systems when your song doesn't sound right. Blame your room and your monitors. Sounds simple but so many people tell me "well it sounded great on my monitors".

3. Never think a distinct voice comes from the gear. Though there are differences between microphones, the voice will sound fairly similar to the source. Meaning, Raekwon still sounds like Raekwon on an SM58, or a cell phone. Micheal Jackson sounded like Micheal Jackson. Biggie sounded like Biggie. Copying the signal chain won't change your voice into something else.

4. Contrary to popular belief, certain producers get their drums to knock because they don't use compression. Think about it, if you don't use a tool to tame dynamics, you can get a larger dynamic range through not using compression. That's not to say you should or shouldn't use it but in the same way people rely on it to make the drums knock, others rely on not using it.

5. I have yet to meet a rapper, specifically, who has spent $10,000 in gear actually save money on studio time. I don't discourage recording at home, nor encourage it, it all depends. However, investing a ton of money in your home studio likely will not even begin to save you money. If you can't do something great with 100-200 hours of studio time, you likely can't do it at home with unlimited time.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-I-Addict View Post
Miley Cyrus never really rode a wrecking ball
Old 1st March 2014
Quote:
1)When tracking drums, If you are sample replacing, you dont need a 24 channel audio interface. the tracks can be recorded on a cheap boom box or a junky cell phone for that matter. as long as you can gettem into the computer.
Strongly disagree! That might be the case if you're only looking for the performance. in which case, you'll do better just recording an electronic kit, slapping your hands on the desk, anything really. Most non-drummers will be better "finger drumming" than trying to play a kit too.

As soon as you need to keep ANY element of the live recording - cymbals, hats etc - the better you record it, the better the end result. Generally speaking, if it's worth setting a kit up to record, it's generally worth doing it well.

Quote:
2) To prevent headphone leakage into microphones, EARBUDS are way better than any type of headphone.
Maybe, but most earbuds sound awful for tracking purposes. Unless you've got dedicated IEMs, I'd never ask a singer to use earbuds. I'd rather have a good performance with a little bit of spill (and unless the singer likes things earbleedingly loud, you're not really going to get spill with a good set of headphones) than a crap headphone mix with no spill.

Quote:
4)Using 5 gates to knock off 5db each is better than using one gate to knock of 25 db
I can honestly say I've never seen anyone use 5 gates in series. Many people use as many as 3 compressors in line, but never gates. If you're having problems with a gate not behaving, it's usually easier to just edit the audio. I rarely use gates for actually gating anything other than live drums (we are in the hip hop forum here) - often use SSL-style for expansion and shaping the transients and release of sounds.

Quote:
No, the ROOM is the very first place to start. Buying great monitors and sticking them in a poor room is a waste of money. Having a great room lets your monitors show their worth. Split the budget wisely.

Quote:
9)Dont gauge your partially mixed, home recorded tracks against professionally mastered material. -and wonder why you arent getting SOnSOs guitar sound.
Nah - aspire to match the best. Aim high. Yes, don't be despondent if you can't completely reach the levels of your favourite recording, but don't use it to make excuses.

Quote:
10)On just about every piece of rack gear made, the power is on the left and the mic inputs are on the right. Stay true to that and run all your power on the left side of the rack and your mic cables on the right side.
Would be good advice if it were true...but unfortunately not. Besides, much "rack gear" doesn't have mic inputs. It's not a bad idea to keep power and audio separate, but a look inside the back of just about any professional studio's racks would tell you it's not always followed, to no detriment!

Quote:
12)NEVER plug the speaker outputs of your guitar amplifier into anything other than speaker cabs.
Or an input designed to take speaker level, eg an amp sim box, a DI with speaker input, or power soak. Certainly never a line level input though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
Plugin verb sounds great on top of real room verb.
Personally I'd only mix for some things - and some plugin verbs sound great on their own! I'd never want "room tone" on vocals for example (and again - we're in the rap forum here).
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

Beat makers are NOT producers.
Old 1st March 2014
- If it sounds big and exciting quiet, it'll sound absolutely massive turned up loud.

- In order of importance:

1. instrument/player (source/performance)
2. room
3. mic position
4. mic choice
5. eq
6. mic amp
7. A/D

- In order of importance:

1. experience
2. room
3. speaker model
Old 1st March 2014
Quote:
I dunno. As a drummer, I can't imagine cutting tracks with earbuds. For one thing, the volume needed would be deafening. On top of that, even with decent cans, it's hard enough hearing enough low end to control the kick dynamics and lock in with the bass; earbuds are so light in the bottom it would be virtually impossible to deliver a great performance.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
Get your 10,000 hours in before you wonder why you aren't signed yet.
I actually LOL pretty hard, that was rich...

Think bgrotto nailed it in his first post & 3rd degree's response really resonated w/ me too.
-Clark
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
(we are in the hip hop forum here)
Yeah well the title of the thread is things you think EVERYBODY should know. Not just the hip hops.

Quote:
Strongly disagree! That might be the case if you're only looking for the performance.
so you "strongly disagree" and then agree with me in the following sentence? Its not an opinion its a FACT! Drums do NOT have to be recorded to a DAW to be sampled. Theres nothing to discuss.

Quote:
in which case, you'll do better just recording an electronic kit
Yeah well were not talking about electronic kits here are we?
How many guys do you know, that cant afford an 16 channel interface, have good sounding electronic kits laying around?

Quote:
As soon as you need to keep ANY element of the live recording- cymbals, hats etc - the better you record it, the better the end result.
Most guys have 2 or 4 channel interfaces, and they can spare a couple for stereo overheads. Did you think we were going to record ALL of the tracks on cell phones? lol

Quote:
Maybe, but most earbuds sound awful for tracking purposes.
Totally 100% incorrect. i guess youve tried about all the earbuds made? I have a pair of HD 800s a pair of HD 280s and Beyerdynamic DT150s and NONE come close to earbuds for isolation. Thats $2,000 in tracking phones compared to $15 in earbuds for anyone unfamiliar with those phones. Ive tracked 100s and 100s of drummers and NOT ONE complained that earbuds sounded bad. ESPECIALLY when they MAINLY want to hear the click track.

Quote:
I can honestly say I've never seen anyone use 5 gates in series. Many people use as many as 3 compressors in line, but never gates. If you're having problems with a gate not behaving, it's usually easier to just edit the audio. I rarely use gates for actually gating anything other than live drums (we are in the hip hop forum here) - often use SSL-style for expansion and shaping the transients and release of sounds.
the statement is 100% factual. If youve ever worked with a fast player or on a long song you would know that editing the kik and snare would be foolish. do you think that every single person recording works in an environment where they can visually edit? Im here to tell you they dont. Youve never in your life heard a recording where the gates open too abruptly?

Quote:
Many people use as many as 3 compressors in line
And why do you think they do this? forget i asked. i'll tell you why. Sure the may do it for tonal flavors, but they also do it so one compressor doesnt have to work as hard OR to achieve different settings ie. one fast one slow..........but that could NEVER be the case with a gate right?
Quote:
but never gates
of course not...and youve talked to EVERYBODY to back this up right?

Quote:
No, the ROOM is the very first place to start
Is the room an equipment purchase? Are you going to go out and buy a new room?

Quote:
Nah - aspire to match the best. Aim high. Yes, don't be despondent if you can't completely reach the levels of your favourite recording, but don't use it to make excuses.
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with what i was talking about and makes you out to look argumentative.

Quote:
Would be good advice if it were true...but unfortunately not. Besides, much "rack gear" doesn't have mic inputs. It's not a bad idea to keep power and audio separate, but a look inside the back of just about any professional studio's racks would tell you it's not always followed, to no detriment!
Oh sorry....just 99% of the time..... and the other 1% of the time is mostly on stereo units where they really have no choice to put it anywhere else BUT the middle, so i guess there goes your theory on that one too. For every ONE you can name that is NOT built this way I can name TEN that ARE.

So all that time and effort that you put into trying to be right, you either ended up agreeing with me, made rebuttal for points i never even tried to make or were just plain wrong. Productive!
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

In no particular order. . .

1: Back up, Back up and Back up again. Hard drives can fail at any time

2: Talk money up front, set a minimum and get at least a 50% deposit of the minimum.

3: Sound selection is crucial in producing good records. Good sound choice can make life 100 times easier down the line. Start at the source as you mean to go on.

4: Youtube is your friend. Getting into this game these days is better than ever in the ways that we can be in the studio learning from a legend with the touch of button. You can learn so much. Just be wise and filter out the BS there is more idiots on youtube than there is legends.

5: Study your craft. Pick up some books.. It helps to know the fundamentals and the history.

6: Don't work with rappers. :P

7: Lay off the limiter on the 2 bus, seriously. People know how to use their volume control!

8: Keep your session folders organized. God knows when you'll need something from that one track 5 years ago.

9: Try finish everything you start. Its easy to get caught up in thinking its not good enough or ill finish it another time, it never gets done.

10: Enjoy yourself, stay blessed and make a career out of your passion.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah well the title of the thread is things you think EVERYBODY should know. Not just the hip hops.

so you "strongly disagree" and then agree with me in the following sentence? Its not an opinion its a FACT! Drums do NOT have to be recorded to a DAW to be sampled. Theres nothing to discuss.

How many guys do you know, that cant afford an 16 channel interface, have good sounding electronic kits laying around?

Most guys have 2 or 4 channel interfaces, and they can spare a couple for stereo overheads. Did you think we were going to record ALL of the tracks on cell phones? lol

Totally 100% incorrect. i guess youve tried about all the earbuds made? I have a pair of HD 800s a pair of HD 280s and Beyerdynamic DT150s and NONE come close to earbuds for isolation. Thats $2,000 in tracking phones compared to $15 in earbuds for anyone unfamiliar with those phones. Ive tracked 100s and 100s of drummers and NOT ONE complained that earbuds sounded bad. ESPECIALLY when they MAINLY want to hear the click track.

the statement is 100% factual. If youve ever worked with a fast player or on a long song you would know that editing the kik and snare would be foolish. do you think that every single person recording works in an environment where they can visually edit? Im here to tell you they dont. Youve never in your life heard a recording where the gates open too abruptly?

And why do you think they do this? forget i asked. i'll tell you why. Sure the may do it for tonal flavors, but they also do it so one compressor doesnt have to work as hard OR to achieve different settings ie. one fast one slow..........but that could NEVER be the case with a gate right? of course not...and youve talked to EVERYBODY to back this up right?

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with what i was talking about and makes you out to look argumentative.

Oh sorry....just 99% of the time..... and the other 1% of the time is mostly on stereo units where they really have no choice to put it anywhere else BUT the middle, so i guess there goes your theory on that one too. For every ONE you can name that is NOT built this way I can name TEN that ARE.

So all that time and effort that you put into trying to be right, you either ended up agreeing with me, made rebuttal for points i never even tried to make or were just plain wrong. Productive!

11: Don't take things too personally in this game.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Nut

1. Learn to play guitar or keys.

2. Reflection filters are not very effective.

3. NS10s are a necessary evil.

4. Find the tempo of your song before setting delays.

5. Delays in vocals can be very distracting.

6. Pro Tools is still the industry standard.

7. Have water and tea for clients.

8. Doing projects on the back end usually leaves you back ended (no $$$)

9. Stay away from fast talkers

10. Tech companies run the music industry

11. Ear buds are no bueno for tracking anything. Actually ear buds are no bueno for listening to music in general. Studies suggest my generation (I'm 26) will go deaf faster than the previous generation due to ear buds.
Old 1st March 2014
Careful everyone...we got a live one here!

Quote:
Haven't been around the hiphop forum much have you?

Quote:
I thought we weren't just talking about hip hop?! I'm not agreeing with you in the slightest. I'd never bother making a half-assed effort to record drums. If I was programming them, I'd program them; if I was recording them I'd do it properly. If I need a live sound, overheads plus triggers won't sound as good as a real well recorded kit (with the option to enhance with samples); if I need a programmed sound, it'll be quicker just to start with the programming.

Quote:

Good luck syncing a cellphone with a stereo interface To be quite honest I don't know what you're thinking, how you think you're going to capture a drumkit on a cellphone without distortion, clear enough to trigger samples accurately?!

Just depends on what you're doing. If you NEED a good live drum sound but only have a 2 channel interface, I'd really recommend going somewhere with a better setup. If you don't - just program and overdub cymbals or hats or whatever.

The idea of not really bothering to do something properly just doesn't fit with my ideas on recording in general.

Quote:
Totally 100% incorrect. i guess youve tried about all the earbuds made?
I've used enough of a selection of earbuds to know how they sound yes. I've not got a bad pair myself (one of the shure models), I've used Bose, Etymotic Research, Sennheiser, any number of consumer models.

Quote:
I have a pair of HD 800s a pair of HD 280s and Beyerdynamic DT150s and NONE come close to earbuds for isolation. Thats $2,000 in tracking phones compared to $15 in earbuds for anyone unfamiliar with those phones.
Man...YOU'RE clearly unfamiliar with those phones! HD800s (assume we're talking Sennheisers -I have HD600s on right now) are OPEN BACK. Of course they spill! they're not designed for tracking at all - they're reference cans.

Try some PROPER tracking cans - DT770s or something. 150s are ok, but more durable than they are sounding good.

And as I said - there's a tradeoff. Spill is only part of the equation. No good having great isolation if the performance is poor.

Quote:
Ive tracked 100s and 100s of drummers and NOT ONE complained that earbuds sounded bad. ESPECIALLY when they MAINLY want to hear the click track.
MOST drummers (not 100s and 100s, I don't know how many exactly but a fair few, including some guys you'd have heard of if you know your session drummers) want to hear more than a click - not very vibey that is it?

And are they earbuds YOU'VE provided? I wouldn't dream of asking a professional (or anyone really!) to share earbuds that have been in someone else's ears. Gives me shivers just thinking about it!

As I said - possibly holds true for IEMs. Most bands (and I'm assuming you're not talking of 100s and 100s of touring drummers that have their own IEMs) aren't going to have these to hand.

Quote:
I rarely visually edit between kick/snare. I've also rarely had the issue with a well recorded kit that I can't set a gate up correctly. if there's false triggers coming through, I might well just delete those peaks that are causing false triggers.

1 gate affects transients, sometimes that's ok, sometimes it's detrimental. I can't imagine how badly 3 or more would wreck a sound!

It might well work for you. It's just not common...I've NEVER seen any of the mix engineers I've assisted for in the past work like this. It might work on occasion...but the title of the thread is "things everybody should know". That isn't one of them.

IMO. Hence the reason I disagreed with you. Which is my right on a discussion forum.

Quote:
And why do you think they do this? forget i asked. i'll tell you why. Sure the may do it for tonal flavors, but they also do it so one compressor doesnt have to work as hard OR to achieve different settings ie. one fast one slow..........but that could NEVER be the case with a gate right? of course not...and youve talked to EVERYBODY to back this up right?
Man...I've worked with and for some pretty big names...never say never, but I am aware of why serial compression works. It might well translate to gates, and it might well be something that works incredibly well. It's still not common practice, and there's still better ways to do things IMO.

Quote:
No. Is a bass trap or a Helmholz resonator an equipment purchase? how about some foam to stop flutter echoes and so on? maybe that could be considered equipment purchases...now YOU'RE just arguing for the sake of it. It's kinda blatantly obvious that a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and putting a pair of Barefoots or a Westlake monitoring system in an untreated boomy room with flutter echoes and bass nulls is a waste of money.

Quote:
Because..you're just so passive and relaxed right?! I think it's totally relevant.

Quote:
Go on then..I can name 10 compressors (that DON'T have mic preamps) so you have to name 90 preamps that do correspond to your theory...I could take a picture of the back of our studio racks if you like...it's just a weird way of looking at things.

And as you say..doesn't hold true for stereo units. Lots of stereo (or more channels) mic pres in 19" format. Doesn't hold true for many interfaces. I could go on.

Quote:
Look...this is a DISCUSSION forum. If you can't participate without trying to score points, or you can't take being wrong, please don't participate! IMO you said a bunch of things I didn't agree with - I'm entitled, moderator or not, to debate that with you. You don't have to agree, but to start trying to make me look stupid...well, I can do that fine on my own.

If you don't like that...you're going to get on everyone's nerves fairly quickly. I'm perfectly happy to discuss things civilly, for you to disagree with me, and so on. But please lose the aggressive tone..and that's talking to you as a mod.

But don't ever NOT disagree with me because I'm a mod...just keep it more civil.
Old 1st March 2014
TMA
Gear Nut

I'd like to report a moderator that is feeding a troll a big tasty meal even though he should know better.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Things you should know: you don't need to learn to be able to record, mix or master like a pro for 10 years. Do your creative thing and get in touch with people who already DID learn to rec/mix/master, that saves you thousands and thousands AND ten years of your life. After all, if you need a dentist, you go to a dentist. If you need a plumber, you call a plumber. No need to learn everything for yourself if you won't spend half of you life with it.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Don't mix at a loud volume, make sure things can capture you at below avg listening volume.

Your room IS a filter, your mix may sound ENTIRELY different in a different. listening environment. Invest in making bass traps (cost me $230 to make mine) instead of the cute gadget you saw "producer x" fiddling around with.

Set goals and create an action plan to achieve those goals if you're serious about making an actual career out of music.
Old 1st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA View Post
I'd like to report a moderator that is feeding a troll a big tasty meal even though he should know better.
He's not trolling; the debate is perfectly valid. What isn't on is getting offended and aggressive when someone disagrees with you.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
He's not trolling; the debate is perfectly valid. What isn't on is getting offended and aggressive when someone disagrees with you.
Honestly man, i wasnt as being as much spiteful as you might think. i was more trying to be direct and finish quickly. A lot of that post is more light-hearted than it looks.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

which brings up another thing that people should know:

take INTERNET COMMENTS with a GRAIN OF SALT...ESPECIALLY if the commenter has no LINKS to show their prior work.

there's a LOT of negativity on forums / comment sections of different websites.

so don't pay too much mind or ANY mind to critics and hostile e-personalities.

going back and forth with e-illusions just wastes time...time that you could've been completing projects.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Back on topic.

Rappers do have stacks and bundles to post pics on IG right after they told you they couldn't afford to pay for this session etc. They also have flash cars, don't mind paying for expensive drink and food and trying to impress the groupies, but god help them if they had to pay an engineer for mixing their album!
Old 1st March 2014
1.learn to read more and ask questions less. the answers you seek aren't new ones. You just haven't searched enough to find it yet.
2.No, recording isn't easy. it takes patience, knowledge and dedication. If you don't have any of these 3 or the desire to get it, then move on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search