The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Things You think everybody should know? Let's share. Studio Headphones
Old 5th March 2014
  #61
Gear Addict
 

....you can get good results with cheap equipment...

....the only points where every penny more is a good investment are....your speakers, your converters and your room...

and no, expensive outboard gear is nothing you have to think of....if you really wanna take that road, keep in mind you only need it
once or twice a year....for real...

....a second pair of ears that do the finshing for you, with some of that gear, is always better invested money than having that stuff on your own....

a good song/track can't be destroyed by poor sound....

a master can change anything....good and bad wise....

have a break every two hours....

check your mixes on whisper levels to make sure nothing is biting a head off....

and before tracking out, check your arrangements from a room next door....

arrange with your ears, not your eyes....

there is no wrong.....

try to be unique....
Old 5th March 2014
  #62
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

I wish everyone (in Hip Hop and R&B) understood that a producer is someone who makes a song or project happen by any means necessary. To put it as simply as possible, you give him a budget for the album (or song) and he uses all his resources to make it happen - if he has to hire writers, musicians, engineers, book sessions - whatever.

Now it IS possible for the producer to be a beat maker and also do any or all of the things mentioned (I, for one, do them all). He would sort of hire himself for everything but doing one or more of those things does not make one a producer.

I wish more Hip Hop / R&B beat makers understood the importance of tracking the beat (or exporting the track files individually).

I wish more Hip Hop / R&B artists understood that mixing and mastering are two different processes. You don't hire someone to "Mix & Master" your song (at least not usually).

Now that I'm done with my wish list, I think everyone should know that music is a great experience - period. If ever you feel yourself stressing in this business, mentally go back to why you got into this mess. In fact, go back even further to what inspired you to get into this mess. Back then it was the joy of listening to music. At some point it grew into a joy of MAKING music. Get back into that vibration, then get back to work.
Old 5th March 2014
  #63
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
I wish everyone (in Hip Hop and R&B) understood that a producer is someone who makes a song or project happen by any means necessary. To put it as simply as possible, you give him a budget for the album (or song) and he uses all his resources to make it happen - if he has to hire writers, musicians, engineers, book sessions - whatever.

Now it IS possible for the producer to be a beat maker and also do any or all of the things mentioned (I, for one, do them all). He would sort of hire himself for everything but doing one or more of those things does not make one a producer.

I wish more Hip Hop / R&B beat makers understood the importance of tracking the beat (or exporting the track files individually).
On your first point, I wish everyone would understand that when a beat maker is credited as a producer, especially if they have only been credited as a producer for their entire career, it is perfectly acceptable to call themselves the same thing that they were credited under. Until we are credited as something else, that is going to be the title we will use.


As for tracking beats out. I think most people are pretty aware of this process. However, most people use this as a marketing ploy. They sell stereo tracks for cheap, often MP3, as a "teaser". With that, you can easily have an automated system where you don't have to send the files yourself, etc. The idea is, they eventually will invest in a much higher priced, tracked out version of either the same beat, or a different one. However, it seems that the "upgrade" rarely happens because those in the market for a $20 beat likely won't 10x their budget.
Old 5th March 2014
  #64
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
On your first point, I wish everyone would understand that when a beat maker is credited as a producer, especially if they have only been credited as a producer for their entire career, it is perfectly acceptable to call themselves the same thing that they were credited under. Until we are credited as something else, that is going to be the title we will use.
on this point, if the track doesn't say "produced by" it needs to start saying "beat by" in an equally prominent place on the project. i would hate to see beat making credits disappear and the dude with the facilitating role have his name on the track "produced by" and have people think they made the beat.

don't disregard the importance the beat maker has to the track.
Old 5th March 2014
  #65
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

We're definitely not underestimating the importance of the beat maker. In SOME cases, I think the beat maker deserves co-production credit.

Killa Ego - I think a much more appropriate credit would be "Composed By" or "Music Composed By" because "beatmaker" itself is not even an accurate term. The person we're referring to is quite literally the composer AND instrumentalist - unless he leaves that part to session players.
Old 5th March 2014
  #66
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

I have always thought the more appropriate title would be "instrumental by". However, I will say that on a lot of songs I have done, I basically co produced it with the rapper. Sometimes, even the beat alone serves so much guidance to a rapper that there is really no where but your vision to go.

That said, I will still call my self a producer or at least say I produced tracks I was credited as the producer on. Even if it bothers people.
Old 5th March 2014
  #67
Lives for gear
 

^ya in rap produced by means you made the instrumental, no matter what anyone says unless it changes.

a couple years back there was a cd, i forget which artist, where they gave themselves production credit ("produced by") on every track in the booklet and you had to read the small print to see "music by."
Old 5th March 2014
  #68
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

Agreed. As I said, there are many cases that I think the instrumentalist deserves at least co-production credit.

It's most often the guys who make their living on Sound Click (or other similar services) who are furthest from the title of producer. Again, this is not to take away the importance of what they do. It's a miscredit rather than a discredit.
Old 5th March 2014
  #69
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
^ya in rap produced by means you made the instrumental, no matter what anyone says unless it changes.

a couple years back there was a cd, i forget which artist, where they gave themselves production credit ("produced by") on every track in the booklet and you had to read the small print to see "music by."
But is that incorrect? If it was a situation where he purchase the instrumentals from a website such as Sound Click and did everything else himself, is he not correct in crediting himself as the producer?
Old 5th March 2014
  #70
Lives for gear
 

^it is correct but in hip-hop today if you read "produced by" that means the same as "instrumental by" regardlesss of actual meaning of the word/whether or not they produced it.
Old 5th March 2014
  #71
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
^it is correct but in hip-hop today if you read "produced by" that means the same as "instrumental by" regardlesss of actual meaning of the word/whether or not they produced it.
I see what you're saying but that doesn't mean it can't be corrected. That doesn't mean the Hip Hop community can't be re-educated. That's more of a long term situation but it has to start somewhere.

Eventually the artist - if successful - ends up in a situation where it does become important to know the difference (business wise) and that's not the time you want to be learning the correct way.
Old 5th March 2014
  #72
Lives for gear
 
boombapdame's Avatar
The Internet has multiplied the "overnight celebrity" idea for nearly everyone in regards to the industry.

If you are involved in any capacity in creating Hip Hop, don't be fooled by any rapper's so-called image.

Social media cannot, will not and should not replace face to face interaction.
Old 5th March 2014
  #73
Lives for gear
 
CocaineAudio's Avatar
Your never as good as you think you are... that one is important..
Old 5th March 2014
  #74
Grammar
Old 5th March 2014
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaineAudio View Post
Your never as good as you think you are... that one is important..
Or in some cases you may be better than you believe you are. .
Old 5th March 2014
  #76
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
Or in some cases you may be better than you believe you are. .
is that supposed to be a slightly better use of grammar to sound more intelligent?
Old 5th March 2014
  #77
Lives for gear
 
C//AZM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
I see what you're saying but that doesn't mean it can't be corrected. That doesn't mean the Hip Hop community can't be re-educated. That's more of a long term situation but it has to start somewhere.

Eventually the artist - if successful - ends up in a situation where it does become important to know the difference (business wise) and that's not the time you want to be learning the correct way.
I agree whole heartedly! However there are a lot of people in Hip Hop who do serve as legitimate producers and usher a project or song employing the craft of producing. and then again, I know guys who make the track and weren't even there when the vocals went down so, yes there is most definitely a difference. I always ask to be credited with "Music Composed By" or some such if I only did the track and "Produced By" if i'm the one who decided on the instrumentalists, decided which key, led the vocal tracking, and did the arrangement.
Here's my ever evolving list.

Music theory, at least basic music theory; Key, chord structure chord changes, modulation, modes, are among the most important things any musician or person in the music industry should know.

Have at least basic rudimentary keyboard skills.
Piano, not computer.
…computer too, know the shortcuts for all of your tools. saves you time and makes you look professional.

You should know how to find the range for a given singer and which keys will bring the most out of their voice.

You should have enough ear training to know if a singer tends toward being sharp or flat and how to influence a singer to sing better in key (less bass in the cans... more.)

You should know basic harmony and counterpoint in order to create backing vocals that aren't in the way or…ARE.

Know which of their people hanging out during a session to ignore and who to encourage, or when to kick everybody out but the singer. Know how to stroke an ego or feed an insecurity, All with the goal of coaxing the best performance.

You are working, not partying save getting high with the act till the release party, or never. You do not work better while high.
No, you don't.

Really, you don't.

Understand how the act behaves while high or drunk and it's always better to NOT be high or drunk while trying to create/capture a good performance.

Ditto on the 6 month P.O. and for what it's worth, I have used 2 or 3 gates in series, actually it's expansion. two expanders in series works for me better than a single one, especially on an SSL.
Old 5th March 2014
  #78
Lives for gear
 
C//AZM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
is that supposed to be a slightly better use of grammar to sound more intelligent?
Two different things. Some people have more ego than skills and are not as good as they think they are. Some are too humble and are much better than they think they are.
Old 5th March 2014
  #79
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
You are working, not partying save getting high with the act till the release party, or never. You do not work better while high.
No, you don't.

Really, you don't.
i agree. the worst is when you're working with some rapper and they **** up a few takes and say "i need to smoke a little" as if it will help them and come back and they're stuttering after like 5 seconds on every take.
Old 5th March 2014
  #80
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
Two different things. Some people have more ego than skills and are not as good as they think they are. Some are too humble and are much better than they think they are.
true, i'm a dumb ass misread that.

my bad realizement
Old 5th March 2014
  #81
Gear Addict
 

...a mp3 has no liner notes...a stream has no liner notes...does a delux download version have liner notes?

whatsoever....listen to you...you guys talk credits....

a producer can be anything these days.....only question is...who's copyright is this?
an everage radio hit meal is cooked by at least three people these days...7 is not unusual....
order your punchline....

and some things need to be done sober...and some need to be done pissed....

talent is everywhere....but hard to catch...
Old 5th March 2014
  #82
Lives for gear
 
C//AZM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy View Post
...a mp3 has no liner notes...a stream has no liner notes...does a delux download version have liner notes?

whatsoever....listen to you...you guys talk credits....

a producer can be anything these days.....only question is...who's copyright is this?
an everage radio hit meal is cooked by at least three people these days...7 is not unusual....
order your punchline....

and some things need to be done sober...and some need to be done pissed....
Um… yeah so, a producer gets points and it doesn't matter if an mp3 has liner notes, this doesn't mean that the credits don't EXIST somewhere, you know, like for royalties and licensing and, you know, money.

Credits and a track record are important.
Old 6th March 2014
  #83
Gear Addict
 

...thanks for the info, hey.....but as i said....the copyright question is the only question....no matter what is printed somewhere...and even if nothing gets printed anymore...

and all the rest is talking ego....
Old 6th March 2014
  #84
Here for the gear
 
Daniel Ayo's Avatar
 

-Taking breaks while creating/mixing a song works wonders.
Old 7th March 2014
  #85
Lives for gear
 

You should always have distortion on a bus/aux that you can send to. You might need to add a little to make something stand out.
Old 7th March 2014
  #86
Lives for gear
 
C//AZM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy View Post
...thanks for the info, hey.....but as i said....the copyright question is the only question....no matter what is printed somewhere...and even if nothing gets printed anymore...

and all the rest is talking ego....
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm misunderstanding you.
Are you saying that Paul Epworth Producing Adele, or better yet, Quincy Jones, who didn't write a single song on Thriller and isn't on ANY copyright, his producer credit and the millions in royalties he received from that project mean nothing?
Old 7th March 2014
  #87
Lives for gear
 

I'd like to make a valid point to the younger artist's and possibly female R&b groups along with rap groups is that a Producer is not a Manager and 99.9% of the time groups or artist's just starting off don't need Managers right away. 1st they should develop their talent, create some demos and image.

2nd perfect their craft as an artist (or artist's)

Realize and acknowledge that funding is a necessity in the Music biz so don't try to hide from it by asking for Free services from Producers, Engineers or even Manager's. YES, even Managers and Management companies charge service fees.
Old 7th March 2014
  #88
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
Um… yeah so, a producer gets points and it doesn't matter if an mp3 has liner notes, this doesn't mean that the credits don't EXIST somewhere, you know, like for royalties and licensing and, you know, money.

Credits and a track record are important.
On top of that, it's becoming more and more common for the producer to be credited in the title of the track. This goes for both MP3 and CD releases.
Old 7th March 2014
  #89
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm misunderstanding you.
Are you saying that Paul Epworth Producing Adele, or better yet, Quincy Jones, who didn't write a single song on Thriller and isn't on ANY copyright, his producer credit and the millions in royalties he received from that project mean nothing?
This.

Reputation is a large part of this industry. It's capital for a lot of people - intangible money. Your credits are responsible for that reputation.
Old 8th March 2014
  #90
Lives for gear
 
FyLe ForMatz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
Realize and acknowledge that funding is a necessity in the Music biz so don't try to hide from it by asking for Free services from Producers, Engineers or even Manager's. YES, even Managers and Management companies charge service fees.
right.

cutting corners on costs can be costly; backfiring in your face when made into a habit.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump