The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which headphones should I buy... Dres or Gurus?
Old 7th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Which headphones should I buy... Dres or Gurus?

I want to get in the habit of producing from scratch and mixing solely on headphones as I am travelling a lot more now and am not just making beats in the basement anymore. (Oh how I miss it)...

Which ones are the full package and give the best most adequate sound for producing and mixing?

These or these?

Young Gurus:

AIAIAI TMA-1 studio headphones engineered by young guru

Or Dr. Dres and if so which Dres:

Wireless Bluetooth Headphones | The New Beats Studio Wireless

Noise Cancelling Headphones | Tune Out the Noise with Beats Pro

Thanks
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

i wouldn't get either, you're paying extra for the name.
Old 7th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
i wouldn't get either, you're paying extra for the name.
So what are the best for producing and mixing? Preferably ones without wires for comfort reasons, but doesn't rly matter.
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

damn Dres has headphones?

heh
Old 8th January 2014
Gear Addict

None of those, garbage!! You want precise, balanced/neutral headphones for mixing. Consider Beyerdynamics' DT series, preferably the 880's.
Old 8th January 2014
Gear Head

Well if I had to choose, I'd go with Guru. I've tried both, Guru's are much more balanced. Dre's are basically a kids toy, they hype up the low end like crazy.
Old 8th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Get Quincy Jones' cans, if you want to pay for a name and have some good cans. His are a rebraned set that you will actually see in some studios. (The original labeled ones not the QJ labeled ones. For your purposes the differences are cosmetic) Don't mix on headphones though.
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

I canNOT stress this enough:

Focal Spirit Pros.

Not even a debate w/o dropping at least $800-&1000 on some other pair- and if you have that scratch: get two pairs!

Read the reviews. If you love that NS-10 "ugly until it's right" philosophy then these are the cans you want.

Point of reference: my previous favs were k240s (at less than $500 range)

I have the option to shoot out several pairs as a good friend of mine is a tad obsessed... He has 8pair and insists on listening to different genres on each....

BeyerDynamic DT770s are pretty solid too...

But again: Nothing out there will be as reliable as the focal pros. (Opinion of course, but I stand by it 100%)

Now for the disclaimer: they are NOT that rugged- so be prepared to baby them.
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

i would get audio technica ath m50s. you can choose strait or coiled cords. i would recommend the strait.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable
Old 8th January 2014
Here for the gear

Mix with either of those 2 cans and play your mix in the car or on a stereo and the bass will definitely kick... distorted signals.
Old 8th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post

Focal Spirit Pros.

Not even a debate w/o dropping at least $800-&1000 on some other pair- and if you have that scratch: get two pairs!

Read the reviews. If you love that NS-10 "ugly until it's right" philosophy then these are the cans you want.

I have the option to shoot out several pairs as a good friend of mine is a tad obsessed... He has 8pair and insists on listening to different genres on each....

But again: Nothing out there will be as reliable as the focal pros. (Opinion of course, but I stand by it 100%)

I actually have a pair of 2 or 3 yr old k240s mebe I should crank em out again.
Old 8th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:

Focal Spirit Pros.

Damn! I wasn't even in the market but you made me plan a long lunch break to b&h to try them.
edit: they are expensive.
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

i'd say the audio - technica m50's decent price and they get the job DONE
Old 9th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaineAudio View Post
i'd say the audio - technica m50's decent price and they get the job DONE
Absolutely, that's a great tip. You can get those for around 150$.
More than usable for mixing and producing. You really get a lot
for 150$, in terms of accuracy.

Other great headphones, which I get almost comparable results with, but with
a better bass response, are the AKG K 271 MK2. You can get those for around
180$.

There are also other great models from Beyerdynamic, Sony, as well as AKG
which are higher priced.

It really depends on which you are most confident with. There really is
no way around testing for yourself.

If you don't have a chance to do that,

I would buy the Audio - Technica. That's really the best bang for the buck,
and not only that.

Jig
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

The ATH-M50's sounded great...I loved them. I just hated that the fake leather cracked on the ear pads and they made my ears sweat during long sessions. I switched to the Beyerdynamic DT-770's and I can sleep in them they are so comfy. And sound great too! Not as exaggerated in the low end as the ATH-M50's. Even though those are only slightly exaggerated.
Old 10th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien907 View Post
i would get audio technica ath m50s. you can choose strait or coiled cords. i would recommend the strait.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable
^ This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Dutches View Post
The ATH-M50's sounded great...I loved them. I just hated that the fake leather cracked on the ear pads and they made my ears sweat during long sessions. I switched to the Beyerdynamic DT-770's and I can sleep in them they are so comfy. And sound great too! Not as exaggerated in the low end as the ATH-M50's. Even though those are only slightly exaggerated.
Wow, I didn't even notice! Mine are like 2 years old and starting to crack ...
I don't find them exaggerated in the low end at all ... compared to my sub at least, they're severely lacking - I usually listen to commercial tracks with the bass at +3db with them
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear
That fake leather **** will be all over you desk, under your fingernails, inside your keyboard and everything. I hate that ****.
Old 11th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Damn! I wasn't even in the market but you made me plan a long lunch break to b&h to try them.
edit: they are expensive.
Compared to Sennheiser high end or Grados... Quite cheap.

But: I feel ya. Not a casual purchase... But a truly incredible deal compared to comparable products.

Of note: having used each of the products mentioned so far (except the gurus) I can tell you that the Focals "translate" FAR better than any of the others here. Most of these are great cans- but not making reliable critical decisions. Including the K240s (which are still the least fatiguing cans IMO).

If you are mixing in a poor environment, they are lifesavers (once you learn them) Again, the are unforgiving, brutally honest headphones!
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear
No, I believe you.

I actually happen to have the latest SOS (JAN 14), they have the 2nd review I've seen on these, lemme point out one thing that stood out that might be what you allude to.

Unlike some other headphones (def like my Senns) they maintain the 'pure' mids but slightly tilt the 'edges' of the midrange. So from what I can see -honest midrange with an emphasis on the ugly LMF and important HMF, a little pronouncement in those nasty resonant areas. They mentioned some upper head grip un-comfort, but comfort has never been an issue for me personally, I have a small head lol.

350 is a serious investment, but for the reasons you've listed, I am paying attention my man.
Old 18th January 2014
Here for the gear
If you plan on using headphones for mixing, I highly recommend getting an open back model... I also highly recommend running as far away from Beats headphones as you can. They are ridiculously hyped and won't get you an accurate representation of your mix at all. I've heard good things about Guru's headphones, but haven't tried them myself to give you an honest assessment.

Honestly though, I'm a bit skeptical whenever I see a producer's name attached to gear like this. It just seems like a big marketing ploy to sell more to the masses, rather than deliver a top notch professional product. There are plenty of tried and true pro models out there.

I have the Beyerdynmaic DT770s, which are amazing, but I regret getting the closed backed model. Closed back models are good for recording because there is less bleed, but with mixing, having the back of the speakers covered up can cause low-end build up. This causes some cancelation issues and can make it harder to judge what is going on in the top end of the mix. I suggest the slightly more expensive open-back DT880s or an open back model by Sennheiser.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear
Sony MDR
Old 19th January 2014
Those Guru headphones look generic.

Beats by Dre is a brand name. Brand name products work better than generic ones so go with the Dre headphones. If Dre is using them, shouldn't you be using them too?
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

The padding on the M050's can be replaced with comfy pads for cheap. There was a thread here somewhere. Mine are all good though.
Old 19th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Sony MDR
sony mdr7506 call it a day ... sound good and are pretty rugged... most widely used headphones and u can do a great mix on them...
Old 19th January 2014
I have both the Beyerdynamic DT770 and Sony MDR7506's. Both are great headphones. If I'm on an airplane and want to make a beat, I use the Sony's. When I'm at home with my speakers, I use the Beyer's for alternative monitoring.
RRL
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosmusic View Post
Get Quincy Jones' cans, if you want to pay for a name and have some good cans. His are a rebraned set that you will actually see in some studios. (The original labeled ones not the QJ labeled ones. For your purposes the differences are cosmetic) Don't mix on headphones though.
YES!! if u want to pay for a name, get these. for me it's audio technica and akg all the way. sony mdr aren't bad either. herbie hancock records with them. if they are good enough for him, they are good enough for any of us.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
That fake leather **** will be all over you desk, under your fingernails, inside your keyboard and everything. I hate that ****.
Yea it's too bad a lot of headphones out there, both studio and hi-fi use that type of material by default. One of my studio pairs and a wireless surround sound set that I use for gaming is starting to shed that crap.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Those Guru headphones look generic.

Beats by Dre is a brand name. Brand name products work better than generic ones so go with the Dre headphones. If Dre is using them, shouldn't you be using them too?
Dre is selling them, but you can bet your ass he doesn't use them when it counts.
Old 8th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

Focal Spirit Pros.

Ugh
Old 8th December 2014
Might as well throw in the
Wu-Tang "Rza 36 Chambers" head phones,
Bob Marleys
📝 Reply