The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sampling 33 1/3 and 45 RPM Records at 78 RPM
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Sampling 33 1/3 and 45 RPM Records at 78 RPM

Hello, first I would like to say that I am new here, and I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum, etc.

So basically I have been on a mission lately for grittier sound I have been using the sampling 33 1/3 LP's at 45 RPM +% then slowing it down on the MPC technique. However, I was thinking it was possible to achieve a grittier sound by doing the same thing at 78 RPM. I have an sl1210mk2 and I can't try this out with that table at the moment. Planning on getting a new table soon with 78 speeds though.

So I know for 78's a different cartridge/stylus is used to play them but instead it would be playing 33 1/3 and 45's at 78 RPM so would a 78 cartridge/stylus be needed in that case? Would the record be playing too fast for a normal cartridge/stylus or too fast for it to play properly?

Would appreciate any advice and all, thanks!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
1. You don't need a special stylus for that
2. you don't even need another turntable cause you can either record to the computer first and speed up inside an audio editor or turn the platter by hand without the motor running. start turning the platter on the lable of the record and get faster no need to press hard on the record the platter really WANT to turn look at the strobe and you'll realize that as you raise the speed different lines stand relative still. Use this to have an "anchor" and try to hold the speed so the line stand still. Might require some practise.
After you have a feeling for that you can put the needle on the record but you need enough time to get the speed so for example if the part you want to sample is after the first refrain you should put the needle to the start of the first verse or so.

3. depending on the MPC, the song you want to sample and the speed of the platter you probably can't pitch down enough. In case of the 2000(xl) for example you can pitch down only 24 semitones. Keep thin in mind and experiment with how fast you can speed up and you'll get a feeling for it.

peace
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

Ah, thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
Doesn't the method of turning the table manually not have it at a very accurate speed? like varying pitch just a little bit since its not the actual motor turning it at the approximate constant speed? I guess if you got it really down you could get it close enough though?
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
If you look for exact even speed over a long time this method might not work as precise as you want.
A direct drive is a must here and massive platters works better cause once it turns it turns from its own weight.
And also the length of the sample matters. Short samples (1 bar) should have a near constant speed cause the actual time the platter need to be at a constant speed is short (since you turn it really fast the time it has to be constant is something like 1 sec or even less).
A good practise of keeping the speed constant could be a DJ vinyl with an endless tone. Never tried it but this idea just came to my head

peace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search