The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing in Maschine with Decapitator and Alloy 2
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Mixing in Maschine with Decapitator and Alloy 2

I have had maschine for a few months, and am in my second month of the maschine class at dubspot. My beats are starting to sound the way I want them too, but I do not know the proper way to mix my beats to put them online. The only thing that is saving me is the fact that I have been a guitarist for 15 years so I am familiar with hearing things in different frequencies.I know the basics of eq, but not in the context of rap, like how to carve out room for the bass by eq'ing the kick down in a certain area. My 808's always get lost in the mix. I do not know if they need to be layered? or what (everytime I layer kicks I do not think they sound good)... I use the goldbaby 808 kit for my 808s and mostly drum breaks and the illmind blap kit. Basically I want to get as good at mixing my beats as I can. I know this has a lot to do with the "less is more" concept and that most of the eq'ing I will be doing will be reductive i.e. filtering out unwanted frequencies. But I do not know the order to work in or how to do it RIGHT. I do have the soundtoyz decapitator and izotope alloy 2 which I have been told are all I need to get a good sounding mix. I like how alloy has all you need in one plugin. Problem is I do not know how to use alloy that well. I do not know when to use a limiter or when to use dynamic compression or transient shaping. I bought the tutorial off their website for 25 bucks and all they did was explain how to access the options menu and what not. And the mixing that the guy did was with live instruments and nothing I didn't already know. I do know from looking around the internet that although there are supposedly NO RULES to mixing hip hop or anything for that matter... the top guys always have a couple tricks in common. I would really love if somebody could point me in the right direction of a full and helpful tutorial of how to mix hip hop beats. (Not mix with vocals or master because I will leave that to the engineer). ALSO note that I do not have a DAW at the moment. I make my beats in maschine. I have fl 11 but do not use it anymore.
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

The problem with youtube'ing this is that everybody thinks they are a mixing engineer, so I do not know which answers are right and which are nonsense. People speak highly of gearslutz so I would hope some professionals will chime in... Also wondering if those ken lewis "mixing hip hop instrumentals" videos are beneficial if I do not have pro tools.
Old 23rd October 2013
Personally what I did when I owned a Maschine was, I exported the sounds out and mixed them in ProTools/Live/FLStudio.

I found it 10x easier than mixing in the Maschine DAW.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Using kits is for wannabeez

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful View Post
Personally what I did when I owned a Maschine was, I exported the sounds out and mixed them in ProTools/Live/FLStudio.

I found it 10x easier than mixing in the Maschine DAW.
This. It looks as though the new Maschine software will change this for me though.

Yes Ken Lewis videos are good regardless of what DAW you're mixing in the concepts are the same. I highly recommend those.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search