The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Layering/Mics
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Layering/Mics

Hey all,
Recently got my hands on a Tempest and been trying to build a lot of drum sounds in it to layer with samples. I was thinking about recording some sounds around my place to use as layers as well to make my kits a bit more original. Anyone doing this who' care to share some thoughts about mics? I was looking at the Zoom kind of portable recorders but they seem a bit too low end...maybe someones got some thoughts on this. Would it be better to go for a decent mic? To be honest mic's are a whole new area for me so I need to be taking a look at some books soon because I'm still basic on them but I'm burning to get some sounds down and some new kits made. Just wondering what everyone's using for this kind of thing? Cheers all
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_out View Post
Hey all,
Recently got my hands on a Tempest and been trying to build a lot of drum sounds in it to layer with samples. I was thinking about recording some sounds around my place to use as layers as well to make my kits a bit more original. Anyone doing this who' care to share some thoughts about mics? I was looking at the Zoom kind of portable recorders but they seem a bit too low end...maybe someones got some thoughts on this. Would it be better to go for a decent mic? To be honest mic's are a whole new area for me so I need to be taking a look at some books soon because I'm still basic on them but I'm burning to get some sounds down and some new kits made. Just wondering what everyone's using for this kind of thing? Cheers all
Get a Shure SM57. That'll cover you for most everything backbeat-oriented (snares, claps, and so forth). If you need something to cover low end stuff (kick-style sounds), add in a Shure 52, or an Audio Technica ATM25.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
I have done tons of this. I never bothered with a portable recorder, I always just ran XLR to various parts of the house. Sometimes this meant chaining several mic cables together to get 150 ft. Run and hit record, then run to the other end and start banging on stuff. Go back and chop it all up into little bits.

As for mics, it depends on the sounds. For example, I made a bunch of garage sounds like banging on the garage door, the storage loft, the washing machine, slamming the lid to the washing machine, firing the nail gun, etc. For all this stuff an LDC just works best. If you use a dynamic or an SDC you just won’t get the “bigness” of the sounds – which you will generally want especially for use as kick drums and stuff. For smaller stuff, like hitting the stapler, closing the cassette deck door, playing with eating utensils, etc., you can pretty much use anything. I generally use a ribbon for all that smaller stuff because it makes it so much easier. But really any mic will do.

Don’t worry too much about specific mic models. Just use what you have handy. These are non-traditional sounds. You might get the typical GS “Oh, that sound of the car trunk closing that he used with his kick drum would have sounded soooo much better if he’d use a C800. That’s what I ALWAYS use for car sounds.”
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tips...really useful starting point for me to look into different mics but also get going quickly....much appreciated
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I do this type of stuff damn near all the time. I've used quite a few different mics/recorders, too. The Zoom H4 is actually pretty bad ass for what it does. I prefer it to a lot of the "better" Zoom handhelds.

Either way, you could always just stick to your budget, what ever amount that is. I'd suggest you pick up a portable recorder (w/ built in mics) that has XLR inputs so you can use what ever mic(s) you want.

The reason I suggest getting a portable recorder is so you're not limited to JUST sounds you can capture while at home or the studio. You could hit the park, the bar, the local fountain... etc and grab samples from your life, as you live it. To me, that is the most ultimate.

I find myself constantly mixing in low-volume "chatter" under all my beats these days. Never samples that can be clearly understood, usually pitched up/down to taste and then VERY carefully layered right under the music. And that is just one way to use your "throw away" field recordings.

My life without an MPC + Zoom H4 would be very f*cked up.

EDIT: Looks like you can grab one of the H4's (NOT the H4n) pretty cheap, pick up a cable and an SM-57, used. Shouldn't run you more than $175 if you are patient with the process.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search