The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BPM Troubles.. getting 3 different bpms from 3 different programs wtf is going on?
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

BPM Troubles.. getting 3 different bpms from 3 different programs wtf is going on?

I have this really nice sample: (steal it if you must, I've got plenty more where that came from)

C & K Vocal Generace - Vylet - YouTube

So I put it into Mixed In Key 5 which tells me it's 146 BPM... Then I bring it into Maschine which tells me it's 104.9 BPM... which seems way off. So finally I bring the audio file into Logic Pro X and use the BPM Counter which tells me it's 70.3 BPM..... Now I'm totally mixed up. What's going on here and why are they all telling me different BPMS?
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Just tap it out, or manually adjust until it loops correctly? Which point are you taking the sample from? The first part seems to be about 145, the ending sounds a bit faster at about 150. I only quickly tapped it out while it was playing in youtube so that's not exact. The timing seems pretty straight forward unless I'm missing something?

I find auto BPM detection is often incorrect. I would recommend doing it manually so you get it perfect.

Edit: Also you probably want to divide those numbers by two (depending on how you're planning to use the sample), as I was going off the consistent hats rather than the actual beat.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

What 386 said as far as finding the bpm. And that sample is pretty dope!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

**** finding a BPM.... Chop and sequence that ****
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Half of 140.6 is 70.3. So Logic was right. Its still doable just double the BPM.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Method 1 (require a bit math):
to get the exact BPM on a specific time in the song you can cut out one bar (4 beats) from the song (around the sample you wanna use) and do a little math.

look at the length of the cutted bar (4 beats) in ms in your DAW/Audio editor devide it with 4 and you'll get the time of 1 beat

lets say the sample is 2,628 seconds. Devided by 4 is 0,657 seconds

OK Bpm is Beats per minute or Beats per 60 seconds

How many beats of 0,657 seconds fit into 1 minute??

60 seconds / 0,657 seconds = 91,3242009 ok lets say 91,3 Bpm

Method 2 (no math required here ) :
Tap for Beats Per Minute BPM
This "tap-in" beatcounter is very exact cause it really calculate the bpm from EVERY tap you do. (not only 4 or 8 taps like most other tap-in beatcounter). That means -> the longer you'll tap in the more exact it gets.
BUT. Since humans are not robots the (live played) song you wanna sample from varies in tempo so you still should cut out 1 or 2 bars around the sample you wanna use, let this loop play and then tap in with the website above.

Method 3:
don't give a **** about all that, cut out what you want, sequence how you want and use your ear to get it done.

peace
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

thanks for the sample!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
**** finding a BPM.... Chop and sequence that ****
+100
I have never in my life needed to find the bpm of a sample to make a beat.

Sent from my SPH-D710
Old 23rd October 2013
It's about 143bpm. It's not like those dudes were playing to a click, so you'll probably get some variation one way or the other.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

this sample is awesome, i would advise you to go into logic, cut out 4 bars or whatever, and just adjust your bpm until it loops right, or even almost right, then you can just loop the end over (crossfade loop) in your sampler, or timestretch it.

i never use the bpm finders, just find it myself, but anymore since i have been using crossfade looping, i can just find the bpm after i chop and if there is any gaps, i use loop mode to fill them in. this also enables me to play with the bpm for around 10 bpm. ie i can go from 80 to 10 if i really wanted to usually, because most loops arent exact, so each chop is a different length, and if one is longer, the others will just loop a bit more to catch up.
crossfade looping changed the whohle way i make beats, i used to timestretch everything, cause i thought thats just what you had to do, but then i tried this method and it worked great.
if you do it right, it will sound pretty natural witout the drums and extra stuff under it, but if it just sounds close, you can usually get away with it by adding the drums and stuff, then no one will really be able to tell.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
^^ can you explain how you work with that crossfade looping? I know crossfade looping as an alternative way of looping. The loop start and loopend will be blended by a crossfade to avoid clicks and steps in amplitude.

@bgrotto: how do you count a 4/4 beat? The track is 71 somthing to 72 something (depending on the position of the song). You counted the 8th notes.

peace
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

@ peter, whats up man! nice to see you over here too!

with cross fade looping,in my mpc, first i chop my samples and load them up right?

so say i have 4 chops, 1/4 notes each, and i have them on the first measure of song, set it to loop 1 bar, and grid in the notes at the start of each beat. so say my first 2 notes sound fine, and the last 2 have a couple air gaps in them.

so to fix this, what i do is go into trim mode, set my loop to on, and make it so when i hit my pad, it will play until it goes to the loop point i have set and loop over. i adjust the loop point --its usually pretty small, sometimes i even time it to my sample- so it loops a 64th note or whatever; but i mostly just make it sound as natural as i can.
then i usually always make it cross fade loop rather than forward, or alternating, and i go back to my program mode, and i have to adjust the release time because by defalut the mpc will fade the loop out and i dont want that. so i adjust my release from 20 (the default) to anywhere from 60 to 90 ish; and now when i play my beat, or even the pad, it will play out, and the loop point will kick in and fade out slowly. i set all my pads to the same mute group, so they cut each other off, so when a pad plays and loops out, as soon as i play the next pad, it will cut the previous one off wherever it was looped at.
so now, in my example, the loop will fill in the empty space that used to be there on those last two chops that had gaps in them. this technique also also gives me leeway so i can adjust the tempo up or down and the loop will fill in the chops on the other samples as well; as long as i also put those other samples into loop mode and adjusted their release ect.
it basically gives me the ability to drop the tempo of the beat around 10 bpm depending on the sample and if it sounds natural ect.
this is something that timestretching cant do, so thats why it was such an "aha" moment when i first learned this. with timestretching i was always locked to the tempo i originally stretched all my chops to, but with this, i can adjust the tempo freely and the looping samples make up for the air gaps and clicks.

@ the op, if you use the logic sampler, i can tell you how to do this on there too.

the great thing about the mpc and maschine is that you can set it to do this as a one shot, so you just tap the pads once, then tap the next pad and it will play like normal, as opposed to having to hold the pad down. this is why i couldnt use geist, because it would make you have to hold the key or pad down until it looped over as if it were a keyboard. (in the motif, phantom, or triton, you can hear this same thing happening when you hold a note down, and after awhile it sustains, and you can hear the loop kicking in. this is the same idea as that, but its good for sample based music on the maschine or mpc, is that you can just tap the pad and it will play the whole sample as opposed to having to hold it down until it loops over.

if you need any more clarifications, i will try my best to explain it better.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear
@damien: oh ok, now I know what you mean. I thought you loop the complete chop from beginning to end but you set the loop to the tail of the sample (just like its done with instrument samples) and use the crossfade mode to smooth out so that it doesnt sound "clicky".

thank you for the explaination.

peace
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
@bgrotto: how do you count a 4/4 beat? The track is 71 somthing to 72 something (depending on the position of the song). You counted the 8th notes.

peace
Yeah, true. I should have clarified I was counting eighth notes.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Addict

I use a stopwatch and calculator for accuracy.

60/2.526(sec)x4(beats)=95(BPM)

This method not only gives you your loop length in seconds but it's far more accurate than tap tempo where you are likely to make 5 short taps per bar as opposed to 2 taps minus the extra reaction errors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search