The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MPC for dummies, and why you should buy one
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

MPC is super effective, fast to work with, you can do everything, has external connectivity for synths, etc.

Make a loop of your synth, go next track, make drums with samples, work it up, copy that first sequence to sequence 2, add new tracks, change your beats, go seq3, make a break... then work in song mode. yeah it's easy like that. You make a cool song with an mpc in less than a hour, the same song with a daw would take you twice the time because of the random stuffs you have to setup etc. it's also a beast to use live.

Everyone should own an MPC imo.

mpc vs. daw is the same deal as a ton of real knobs vs. a mouse to control vst.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I used to create all my beats on an mpc 60/2000/2000xl - track the seperate channels into my daw and record additional soft synths and live instruments there to complete the production.
These days i do everything from a basic sketch to a finished production on my daw.
I do miss the nerdyness of chopping everything (especially drums) on my MPC suuuper tight, fiddling with it for hours. But i don't have time for it anymore, it became an ocd, lol.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Buying an Mpc will not do much for you in 2013 unless you grab a Ren and you'll still want a modern computer for any kind of music making these days.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

I do like mpcs though. they're fun to work on
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

I don't own either yet. I'm still trying to decide too. But if I can get an MPC or a Maschine for a similar price wouldn't it be better to go for an MPC? Because I am assuming that you would be able to link up an MPC through midi to a DAW. Or you could use it stand alone too. Wouldn't you only really be missing out on the sound library that the Machine comes with?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

That depends on what is better to you. For me the answer is no. To get an mpc in the price range means its going to be old as hell and finding hard media for things like save files is going to be a pain. You can use midi to sync it to your DAW but imo Maschine just works better with DAWs. If you had a room full of hardware keyboards and stuff then I would say sure grab an Mpc but I am not sure that is the case here.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay23 View Post
But if I can get an MPC or a Maschine for a similar price wouldn't it be better to go for an MPC? Because I am assuming that you would be able to link up an MPC through midi to a DAW. Or you could use it stand alone too. Wouldn't you only really be missing out on the sound library that the Machine comes with?
No, linking up a hardware MPC to a DAW via MIDI doesn't come anywhere close to the total integration you get between Maschine's softare and its dedicated hardware. If you're wanting to eventually integrate into your computer setup anyway as most people do, it would make much more sense to go with Maschine instead of a hardware MPC. It will be less hassle overall. Hardware MPCs are a bit outdated at this point and you'd have to deal with slow loading times, being limited to only having access to 16 - 128 MB of samples at once, very limited poor quality fx, having to connect the physical outputs to the computer and having to wait around while it records in actual time every time you want to bring it into the computer. MPCs can also only be expanded up to 6 or 8 audio outputs so if you have more than 6-8 tracks, you'd have to record another pass for extra tracks. They're just not very ideal for being integrated with an "in the box" computer-based setup and will end up slowing you down.

With Maschine on the other hand, there's no limit to the amount of samples you can use at once, no slow loading times, everything feels very immediate to control, and there's no need to "track out" physically to the computer since it's already in there. And it can even feel like you're using standalone hardware instrument because you can just use the hardware and never use the mouse and even have the computer screen turned off. To me, the actual experience of how something feels to use and the workflow benefits are what matters the most, not whether something is considered "standalone" or not. Most of the time, a standalone hardware is physically connected to a computer and a power outlet anyway.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

An mpc will last you forever because it is standalone. The mpc 4000 has features you guys are still asking for. Lol. You have choices with both. That's good unless you are a monotonous type of person. Outdated? Actually the trend these days is the best of both worlds.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay23 View Post
I don't own either yet. I'm still trying to decide too. But if I can get an MPC or a Maschine for a similar price wouldn't it be better to go for an MPC? Because I am assuming that you would be able to link up an MPC through midi to a DAW. Or you could use it stand alone too. Wouldn't you only really be missing out on the sound library that the Machine comes with?
You need a demo by somebody proficient in both.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
Buying an Mpc will not do much for you in 2013 unless you grab a Ren and you'll still want a modern computer for any kind of music making these days.
So music needs to be made on a computer?

Interesting
Old 21st October 2013
I get it now...Maschine would be more suitable for ppl who are lazy and impatient have no outboard and only want to stay inside the box : )

slow loading times? wow, some ppl must be in such a hurry or have a plane to catch or something.
for those ppl it must suck when having to record vocals or any other instrument becoz for them it must seem like that ish takes forever.

drums out of the MPC can sound dope just coming out of the 1 output...u dont have to use all 8...

*thanks in advance for the automatic 6 votes down. cheers
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterrain View Post
No, linking up a hardware MPC to a DAW via MIDI doesn't come anywhere close to the total integration you get between Maschine's softare and its dedicated hardware. If you're wanting to eventually integrate into your computer setup anyway as most people do, it would make much more sense to go with Maschine instead of a hardware MPC. It will be less hassle overall. Hardware MPCs are a bit outdated at this point and you'd have to deal with slow loading times, being limited to only having access to 16 - 128 MB of samples at once, very limited poor quality fx, having to connect the physical outputs to the computer and having to wait around while it records in actual time every time you want to bring it into the computer. MPCs can also only be expanded up to 6 or 8 audio outputs so if you have more than 6-8 tracks, you'd have to record another pass for extra tracks. They're just not very ideal for being integrated with an "in the box" computer-based setup and will end up slowing you down.

With Maschine on the other hand, there's no limit to the amount of samples you can use at once, no slow loading times, everything feels very immediate to control, and there's no need to "track out" physically to the computer since it's already in there. And it can even feel like you're using standalone hardware instrument because you can just use the hardware and never use the mouse and even have the computer screen turned off. To me, the actual experience of how something feels to use and the workflow benefits are what matters the most, not whether something is considered "standalone" or not. Most of the time, a standalone hardware is physically connected to a computer and a power outlet anyway.
Stop SHILLING Noggin....reported once again!!!!! (ive never actually reported anyone tbs but spamming and running down other products is against the rules and is actually bad info)
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

The shilling is nauseating...the **** is really getting old.
Old 21st October 2013
Yeah watch out for the *****-*** thumbs downers. My post got voted off the board! Big ups to Vanilla Dutches for quoting my post for posterity.

On the topic, even though OP is clearly trolling, one of the main reasons that MPC's are dope is because you aren't using a computer while you're creating. Since it's a single box without any USB tethers it feels more like an instrument to me. If you make your DAW midi clock master and your MPC midi clock slave, tracking is painless when you're ready to record.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search