The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Preparing for live performances?
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Preparing for live performances?

Really been wanting to try booking some shows at local venues.

Been wondering, how do you prepare your songs for the show? Do I just put the songs in the order I want to perform on a CD. Or do I need to take them into a DAW and somehow lower my vocals on the verses and leave the hook be? (Ive noticed at a lot of shows performers just rap the verses and leave the hook). Im confused looking for any help I can get, really getting eager to perform.

Here's a song of mine if that helps whatsoever. Wunderlin - All A Lie - YouTube
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules here. You should do what you think will be most entertaining to your audience. I'd rather watch someone rap over an instrumental, personally.

That being said, you could remove the main vocal but leave emphasis tracks. It's really up to you.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
You can really do whatever you want. It’s your show after all.

I can tell you that from a standard operation procedure kind of thing, all mix engineers also make what we call a TV track. The name comes from when artists would go on tv shows and they couldn’t bring a band or have a band mic’d up or anything. A lot of these shows were (and still are) really only capable of a vocal mic, either due to technical limitations or engineering limitation or time limitations. Traditionally, the TV track is the regular mix with the lead vocal muted. Everything else stays. And usually, if the song has a fadeout, we try (as much as the tracks will let us) to make some kind of actual ending (it’s called a “stinger”, just means the song doesn’t fade out).

That said, I have had artists ask for other incarnations. On occasion they will ask for only the chorus to be left in. Sometimes they will ask for the lead vocal and the main comping instrument to be taken out because maybe they will be performing with acoustic guitar or piano or something (although this usually isn’t rappers LOL).

I’ve had artists ask me to make band tracks where it’s only certain backup vocals and certain backing instruments all right, and then a count & click left so they can play with a live band.

They sky’s the limit.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply man, actually helped out a lot! Is it possible to remove the vocals from songs I already have done? My computer crashed nearly a year ago and I lost all of my project files.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search