The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it time for a new setup. ...
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Is it time for a new setup. ...

Okay last night I was fully inspired to make some music and when I sat down and launched fl studio I drew a complete blank!!!!

Now I been using fl studio for over 10 years so its not a fly by night user, but I sat there for like 3 hours and nothing.

Should I go into another type of daw (cubase, live, reason etc.) Or just invest in some controllers that better intergrate with fl (novation sl and maschine), buy some new vsts (komplete, diva, and omnisphere) or a combination of both?

Just looking for opinions I know there is no one sure fire answer

Small note this is the 3rd time this year this has happened I have taken about a 2 month break after the last 2 blocks

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

It really depends on what sort of hip hop you produce and also on what gear you already have. If you sample, go out and buy a bunch of random records. Trying to reflip the same samples again and again is a surefire way to feel stuck. Well, that's how it is for me.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Whenever I hit a block I normally listen to beat tapes. Listen to other producers and emulate ideas with your twist. Brings some interesting ideas to the table
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Well I really dont have a particular type of style I might sample, i might compose it depends on the day, and I have been listening to beats but nothing I guess ill look for some more since the ones I have are kinda old

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use the voice recorder on my phone and write down song titles when I hear something worth sampling. So when I go to sit down, I have lots of stuff to choose from. I think you'll find most original ideas will hit you through out the day when you're not particularly just sitting down trying to create music.
Old 18th October 2013
Go in to the archive of some unfinished tracks. It always sound brand new to me and I always wonder why haven't I completed this yet. That or I don't create anything. I create better work templates, do some technical stuff until.. When it comes back it overflows.
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchee View Post
Go in to the archive of some unfinished tracks. It always sound brand new to me and I always wonder why haven't I completed this yet. That or I don't create anything. I create better work templates, do some technical stuff until.. When it comes back it overflows.

I completely agree with this statement. If I cant get any ideas to flow, ill just start writing to my beats. Go back and listen to something i may of liked a couple weeks ago that I did. Start writing a verse, or try to work on a hook.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd just take a few hours or a day off if possible. Listen to some crazy music you've never really listened to before.
Make crazy noises in your daw i.e. Sound design, find some dope samples to lift, or watch Taledega nights for the 134th time.

Oh.... caffeine!!!
I forgot about that one. Some Starbucks or rockstar usually kicks me into high gear if I need to put in ot and meet a deadline.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Your mind is doing the same routine and is tired of it. Make him happy by approaching your craft from another angle. Turn off quantize and try to make a nice beat without it if you always used it. Challenge yourself by limiting your VST access and try to get same results with less gear.
Old 19th October 2013
Good advice here all around. I've been daw+vst's for over ten years but recently picked up some hardware and found that different workflows can be inspiring. Maybe pick up an MPC, Microsampler or an Ipad mini with nanostudio. You can stay daw-based but switch it up once in a while to get out of a rut.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
I think I've seen your vids. You make good stuff.

I think it's time to rearrange your studio.

Clean up the desk. Wipe it down. Move some gear around. Maybe get a new mouse and qwerty.

If that doesn't work, grab a new controller... I like the ones you mentioned.

If not, grab a hardware sound module on the cheap, like a jv1010, korg tr rack, etc.

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I tend to shift my focus whenever I hit a wall. If making a new track just doesn't seem to be working I'll spend time creating new synth patches or learning about features on my hardware and software that I may have ignored. You could also try making a track that is outside your normal style of music, a little bit of experimentation is a great way to spark new ideas. Buying more stuff usually doesn't help, it can actually make the problem worse. My hardware samplers often help me to overcome blockage. There is something about the process of using the buttons and knobs that makes me feel engaged. You could also try Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies Cards or something similar.
Old 20th October 2013
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but, what do you mean when you say you were inspired? Do you mean you had a strong desire to create or you actually had some inspiration? Ex: when you hear a melody in your head or a drum beat or even maybe a hook...
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

when I hit blocks I just make myself take my mind off music as much as I can. I just usually lay down and watch TV (which I really only do if I hit a block in music lol) and play with my dog. I usually take a day or two until I feel like making stuff again!
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

New setup isn't the answer new inspiration is. Find a way to become inspired again
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Spend up, get new toys.... completely change the way you work and the way you approach music.... it can be inspiring.

Throw yourself in the deep end....
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Yeah I mean having a idea and translating it to fl or maschine

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 24th October 2013
Maybe just accept that blank. And shift to other activities when it happens.

You can challenge yourself too.
Maybe after 10 years what you are used to is not challenging you anymore.
Go record soundscapes outside while hiking, learn bass guitar, organ...i don't know, do something you never do.

As far as changing daw, grass is always greener somewhere else but in the end it is more or less the same tool to make music: a computer.
And other daw have their hiccups too.

But as far as gear, using something really integrated like Spark, Maschine, Push can help to have fun playing. And that's important too.

Myself i'm bored of my computer + keyboard as much as i love the possibilities of a DAW when you are focused on a goal.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would move away from any ideas about buying new gear:

1. it's not what you have; it's what you do with it.

2. what's to say that, after buying a bunch of new gear, you won't be in this same place a year from now?

3. IMHO, buying gear should have some purpose. In other words, you have a particular sound you're trying to achieve, and such and such a piece of gear will help you do that.

4. as others have said, listening to dope tracks can be very inspiring.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

if your on the market maybe wait till the maschine studio hits the shelves and pick that up it looks like its gonna be spectacular.
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

I don't think so, Fl Studio a real good program. I suggest getting some new vsts!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search