The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drums, Drums, Drums. What do you guys use to create more depth?
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Drums, Drums, Drums. What do you guys use to create more depth?

I use some delay to enhance flet snare, but then Im losing punch.
On drum bus if I use reverb, it glue whole drums but again push them back in the mix, without reverb they sounds to dry to "square"
Any tips, techniques?
Old 15th October 2013
DAH
Lives for gear

The key is the reverb must be barely audible.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict
808's under your kicks. Sorry couldn't resist, ha.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yes. Eq and compress your verb and delay sends.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

compress sends? never done it. I'll give a try.
Old 15th October 2013
SFB
Gear Addict

try parallel compression on your drum bus
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

If eq alone isn't making a significant difference then I'm probably wrong and compression probably won't help much.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

try blending in some live drums
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Perhaps start with great sounds/samples.
Layer if you must - a second kick and/or snare, blended really low against the main ones can sound amazing.
Make them sound great on their own; eq, compress, etc.
Eq is a huge factor, there's tons of tutorials online if you need help there.

Then, send to a buss - doesn't need to be parallel necessarily (send/return)
Send the outputs of each to a (drum) buss, eq and compress some more, if the buss compressor has a wet/dry mix, even better.
Distortion - bit crushing - amp sims, etc, even in very small amounts can add some interesting flavor.
Reverb and delay sends - very judiciously or you'll end up with soupy sounding drums.

There's so much more to it, but for now...

Good luck.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Depending on the sound that you are trying to achieve, layering your drums and adding an effect like reverb to only one of the layers yields interesting results.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Don't go too far on the gain reduction of single hits. You will lose the transient that creates the 'top' of the sound'

Maybe try parallel smashing the drum group sans kick, apply reverb to smashed group, very very short reflection. Should be a crushed wash. Play with the mix knob inside the reverb control panel, if necc. That is the middle.

Try a little delay send on snare, very subtle. 30 ms? Back.

Ghost hits add depth. Maybe don't compress these. leave them low in mix, maybe send a little to the delay buss. Sides.

try stuff.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I dont think delay is the best choice on any drums, but subtle reverb can help and if you compress the reverb it will bring it forward
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

thanks a lot.
thing is that some of my programed drums sounds alright , problem starts when i try to fit them into the mix, ( some record sampled melodies ) there is no depth, sounds flat, seems like everything is in same dimension.
When I'm listen to some commercial productions, I hear big separation between drums and rest of the mix. I can achieve similar effect only if I use some stereo image on whole mix, but then i lose punch and I know setero image is not good way to go!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
I dont think delay is the best choice on any drums, but subtle reverb can help and if you compress the reverb it will bring it forward
Depends.

We are talking programmed drums... if you're going for a more lively sound, imo you cannot do it without delay. The slapback/early reflection is what fools the listener. Reverb works too with the proper predelay, no reflection, but I prefer to use discreet delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogzone View Post
thanks a lot.
thing is that some of my programed drums sounds alright , problem starts when i try to fit them into the mix, ( some record sampled melodies ) there is no depth, sounds flat, seems like everything is in same dimension.
When I'm listen to some commercial productions, I hear big separation between drums and rest of the mix. I can achieve similar effect only if I use some stereo image on whole mix, but then i lose punch and I know setero image is not good way to go!
Oh you are talking about loops! My response is geared towards midi drums or single hits.

Lot of sampling guys here, I know can help you.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Layering and/or parallel bussing should help you get on the right road.
Old 16th October 2013
SEED78
I'll still a beginner in all this really - but so far I find less is more, just really heavy hitting samples, doubled up with drum machine hits if more grunt is needed, some SPL transient designer, some bus compression and distortion, short reverb on my snares.

I have more problems getting my kicks to play friends with my bass - snares haven't been too troublesome.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Depends.

We are talking programmed drums... if you're going for a more lively sound, imo you cannot do it without delay. The slapback/early reflection is what fools the listener. Reverb works too with the proper predelay, no reflection, but I prefer to use discreet delays.

Oh you are talking about loops! My response is geared towards midi drums or single hits.

Lot of sampling guys here, I know can help you.
We gotta stop giving these secrets away man!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search