The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
how do flying lotus and dibia$e record their sp 404 fx on their beat?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear
how do flying lotus and dibia$e record their sp 404 fx on their beat?

i have wanted a sp404 for a long time, but i have yet to buy one since i have more important equipment to get. anyways i was wondering how flying lotus and dibia$e record their fx on their beats? first off i know they have more of a lofi type sound, but how would you mix the beat and then add the fx from the sp 404? i dont necessarily want to make the same style of beats, but i want to implement the some of the same effects onto some of my beats. for example i could do like boom bap beats using the sp 404 fx to create variation, breakdown and transition.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

You can use the sp-404sx as a real-time fx unit. I believe Dibia$e uses a KP3 more for that kind of glitch work
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

yeah you can run the mix in through RCA inputs, add effects and send it back to your audio interface, or load up the waves on the unit through a card and add effects on there to resample. Then they are on the pads and you can use the sequencer for verse/chorus/verse, build up breaks/downs, etc. I recommend the sp555 if you can afford it, it has velocity on the pads, loop capture, more effects, acts as a USB audio interface and more.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Dibia$e actually does his stuff on the fly with the 404. He uses two of them too.

You can ask him personally at SP-Forums.com. A very humble and down to earth dude, we spoke a few timesand gave each other props on our craft. But he doesn't frequent much, but passes by to show vids.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Dutches View Post
You can use the sp-404sx as a real-time fx unit. I believe Dibia$e uses a KP3 more for that kind of glitch work
oh ok thanks. never seen anyone use one like that. just do it live and what not.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

what do you mean record? like the finished product fx you hear on the songs on the album? they probably play the beat theyve made and do some fx live and record the whole session. and then use the one with fx over for the album.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

by the way it doesnt look like dibia$e gets THAT complex with his live stuff on his 404. he pretty much seems to load the songs on a pad and play it as soon as he stops the other one. if you watch samiyams boiler room set he seems to mix his songs more or less. dunno if he just chose a couple of his beats that were more or less in the same bpm. he does it quite well though. nothing against dibia$e. but he just keeps it simple in that sense.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT_HEAD View Post
by the way it doesnt look like dibia$e gets THAT complex with his live stuff on his 404. he pretty much seems to load the songs on a pad and play it as soon as he stops the other one. if you watch samiyams boiler room set he seems to mix his songs more or less. dunno if he just chose a couple of his beats that were more or less in the same bpm. he does it quite well though. nothing against dibia$e. but he just keeps it simple in that sense.
oh i know how simple Dibia$e sometimes does his fx lol. he makes it sound dope though lol. i was asking because i would like to have my beat mixed in logic since thats what i use and have the fx done afterwords. i have an mpc so i would do it on there as well. my main thing is using it with logic though. seems like i may not be able to mix my beat well after the fx are on. i assume that since dibia$e has a lo fi sound(not just a gritty old school sound, but lo fi cause its all done on the hardware) its almost not really mixed, but the levels are audible.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesp View Post
oh i know how simple Dibia$e sometimes does his fx lol. he makes it sound dope though lol. i was asking because i would like to have my beat mixed in logic since thats what i use and have the fx done afterwords. i have an mpc so i would do it on there as well. my main thing is using it with logic though. seems like i may not be able to mix my beat well after the fx are on. i assume that since dibia$e has a lo fi sound(not just a gritty old school sound, but lo fi cause its all done on the hardware) its almost not really mixed, but the levels are audible.
Yea..the mixes that you hear on some of Dibia$es stuff is very bare bones ****. If you hit up the SP FORUMS you will see a lot of dudes who use the "resample" method when constructing on the SP solely...

It restrains you severely when it comes to mixing down. But the result is totally lo-fi....and totally anathema to what cats preach here on GS lol...

But that's hip hop! Don't let it dissuade you.

But running whole mixes through the SP units works too...I do it on my 505..I use the vinyl sim on a lot of my mixes
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yea..the mixes that you hear on some of Dibia$es stuff is very bare bones ****. If you hit up the SP FORUMS you will see a lot of dudes who use the "resample" method when constructing on the SP solely...

It restrains you severely when it comes to mixing down. But the result is totally lo-fi....and totally anathema to what cats preach here on GS lol...

i know about the lo-fi sound. theres a difference between lo-fi and low quality, but i guess some people dont understand that lol. dibia$e and those on his level are good enough, but idk about others lol. would you recommended any other fx unit instead of a sp404? just looking at all options.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesp View Post
i know about the lo-fi sound. theres a difference between lo-fi and low quality, but i guess some people dont understand that lol. dibia$e and those on his level are good enough, but idk about others lol. would you recommended any other fx unit instead of a sp404? just looking at all options.
I think there are a lot of nobodies that are plenty good, tbh...

Check out CulpSP, Junior Mungus, Phedee, Kiyani and antoJe...

Also, ChicagoSPecial who has posted a few of his beat tapes on GS.

I believe Culp mixes a lot of his stuff thoroughly and he uses a 606 as well as an MS-1 and other tools....but the others..real coarsely mixed stuff...if at all.

Depending on what kind of effects you're looking for...theres a few I highly recommend.

For glitching the hell out of ****...the 404's mfx are great and the KaossPad 3 is dope as well. For ITB, I think Artillery2 is super ill. Sugar Bytes also makes Turnado which gives you the same fx as Artillery2 + much more and is designed for knob/encoder turn based control.

For more subtle options...I love the EPS-16/ASR-10/DP-2/4 fx...if you get the eps16/asr you can get the waveboy fx too which are great.

FWIW - if I were you...since you're arranging ITB..I'd go with Artillery2 and use it in logic...you can get a used 505 for cheaper than the 303 (madlib effect) or the 404...and have the best of both worlds for...under $200..and if you ever want to fool around with that SP workflow...u have the option at your fingertips
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
I think I read somewhere that Flying Lotus was now sequencing in Ableton Love. And that he stopped using the SP404 because he can do the same things in Live. Some interview I read.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I think I read somewhere that Flying Lotus was now sequencing in Ableton Love. And that he stopped using the SP404 because he can do the same things in Live. Some interview I read.
Certainly sounds different on the 404 than live,cant imagine an intelligent progressive producer thinking that you can do away with one or the other so i think that its a choice of whats easier.Still you cant beat the mix of the 2 units.I use both and they work well together.Cant really replicate the vibe imo.Variety is what makes things interesting and has always been the workflow of any studio.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

if you wanted to make your beat on the mpc, bring into logic and mix it, then you could import the 2 track to a pad on the 404 and do the effects on the master that way, then when you were playing the beat live that way, you could be recording into logic to do the final pre mastering there.
Old 15th July 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:

But running whole mixes through the SP units works too...I do it on my 505..I use the vinyl sim on a lot of my mixes
I know old post, but anyway. When I used to use my Sampletrak heavily I would use the resample method.
It can be frustrating to emcees working with you who won't be able to get stems, but I really doubt very many engineers can replicate the exact sound of the effects for better or worse. Ive tried, and you can get some interesting results, but it's not the exact same sound, and it's probably easier to emulate the sp1200 in software than an sp303.
Also ask the beat maker to re-create the beat without the re-sample method, and watch the beat lose all it's original vibe.
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattmaN View Post
I know old post, but anyway. When I used to use my Sampletrak heavily I would use the resample method.
It can be frustrating to emcees working with you who won't be able to get stems, but I really doubt very many engineers can replicate the exact sound of the effects for better or worse. Ive tried, and you can get some interesting results, but it's not the exact same sound, and it's probably easier to emulate the sp1200 in software than an sp303.
Also ask the beat maker to re-create the beat without the re-sample method, and watch the beat lose all it's original vibe.
Check this tape out.

https://chi-tapes.bandcamp.com

All beats made on a sp-303 or 202 live resampled style no sequencer.

Resampling yields some interesting results and the more layers the more grimey.
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSPecial View Post
Check this tape out.

https://chi-tapes.bandcamp.com

All beats made on a sp-303 or 202 live resampled style no sequencer.

Resampling yields some interesting results and the more layers the more grimey.
Very good example resampled beats! Some of the better stuff I've heard recently!
Good work!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search