The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Getting A Massive 808 Fast
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Head

Getting A Massive 808 Fast

Hey guys I've got a local rap artist coming in the studio next week and I'm looking for a way to make custom 808 sounds really fast. I've used Massive in the past but the process isn't very creative and it takes a while to get it right. I was doing some digging on YouTube and I found a video about a plugin that looks pretty awesome for this. The only problem is there isn't much information about it and I can't find where to buy the damn thing.
Sasquatch Kick Machine 808 In 18 Seconds - YouTube

Do you guys know of anything else that can do this? Thanks in advance!
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Maniac

You run a studio but you don't even have any 808s...?

I just use the one from the Vybe kit... or make my own with a lowpassed square (or saw), and put a slow decay on it. And that guy's 808 was bad.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman86 View Post
Hey guys I've got a local rap artist coming in the studio next week and I'm looking for a way to make custom 808 sounds really fast. I've used Massive in the past but the process isn't very creative and it takes a while to get it right. I was doing some digging on YouTube and I found a video about a plugin that looks pretty awesome for this. The only problem is there isn't much information about it and I can't find where to buy the damn thing.
Sasquatch Kick Machine 808 In 18 Seconds - YouTube

Do you guys know of anything else that can do this? Thanks in advance!
TRAP MUSIC sub kick tutorial MASSIVE .KSD DL - YouTube

Make that in Massive, I usually skip using the Massive EQ. Give it a little harmonic by turning the wavtable slightly towards a square. I throw an EQ on the track after Massive, cut everything below 30hz, and above 80hz. Layer with a punchy kickdrum (I usually cut everything under 70hz on my kickdrum and boost it hard at 100hz.)

They come out something like this for me, sometimes I throw Wave's Maxxbass on it as well. HOLLOW WORDS (Forthcoming) (Preview) by H?Z?D on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

For saturated 808 I will add ROUGHRIDER
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Trap/modern pitched/in tune with song: low passed square layered with attack portion of a kick you like.

Authentic/classic non pitched: real 808 or tiptop BD808 module.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

So are you guys making your 808s first and then making your songs? That's how I always did it before. It never sat well with me. I'm not sure if every song needs a unique kick...but maybe. I've had a blast using Sasquatch to cater to the song real time. It's a different way of working than utilizing previously made kick samples and probably not for everyone.
Old 16th October 2013
mp3
Lives for gear

Yeah just make your 808 sounds as a part of the pre-production process. Save them as a preset in massive or whatever u made em in, then when it's time to make the track, you can just load them up and tweak them as needed to fit the track and the drum samples you're layering them with.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Massive has enough 808-type-ish presets to fit your songs.
All you probably need is some tweaking which can take even less than 18 seconds.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

who would've known the 808 would be the most mystifying sound in music for the past 20 years?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search