The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Suggestions on Portable Monitors for music production work Studio Monitors
Old 13th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Suggestions on Portable Monitors for music production work

Can anyone refer me to some decent monitors that offer great portability? I had a session the other day and I ended up working on tracks outside of my studio at another person's home.

However, they had no monitors so I brought my KRK VXT4s. I realized carrying my KRK VXT4s around is a [email protected] due to the weight. Are there any decent portable monitors that are lighter in weight but can be good for some mobile production work?

I was looking into some M-Audio AV40s or maybe the new Alesis monitors (I can't remember what model they are). I heard a lot of bad reviews about the AV40s but this was mostly pertaining to mixing on them. Since I don't plan to do any mixing on them, would you guys recommend these or other similar monitors for mobile production (making tracks in other enviornments)? Any suggestions would help? Thanks.
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Equator D5's

Sent from my SPH-D710BST
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

The smaller genelecs, KRK VXT4's, Yamaha HS50M

all very portable and great for referencing so long as you have some way of checking the bottom end. Headphones even.

EDIT: Lol... sorry, just read about your VXT4's.... so you're looking for ULTRA portable? Maybe look at the powered Avantone mixcubes? still not quite backpack material.
Old 13th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Yea I've got some KRK 4vxt. While they are small, those bad boys are a whole lot heavier than they look. So I'm looking for something that is easy to carry around but sound good enough to do some production on while away from the studio. I didn't think about the Avantones, but that might not be a bad idea.

Tremors I'll check out those Equator D5s. I've never heard of them prior to you mentioning them, but they look interesting.
Old 13th July 2013
Gear Maniac

I second the avantones while they are heaver than they look
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

I mention the D5's because I heard good things in Tapeop and here on gearslutz and now I own them. They also come with a bag made to carry them in which is useful for the portability factor

Sent from my SPH-D710BST

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search