The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
J. Cole - Kenny Lofton (Production)
Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

J. Cole - Kenny Lofton (Production)

happy mother day guys..

Recently been really digging Truly Yours 2 by J. Cole. I really like anything he puts out, especially production wise.

This is the song I am wondering about: J. Cole - Kenny Lofton (ft Young Jeezy) (Truly Yours 2) - YouTube

My questions are pretty simple, but I feel as if the elements in this track are all on point!

A few things I was wondering - This snare/clap combination really pops so well, it seems like it's the loudest sound in the track, I am wondering what you think they did to get it to pop so well..

Second thing is the sub bass! When i listen on my monitors it is the PERFECT level within the track, and to me it seems like with how loud the other elements are that is pretty great they were able to get the sub bass to fit so well. In my opinion I hear a lot of mid-range that might make it poke through so well. Thoughts?

The next thing I really liked was the hi-hat on the track, it is very live sounding to me and compliments the drums very well. I find it really hard to find hi-hat sounds that flow well and sound natural with live-type drums, do you think these drum sounds are all from the same kit?

Just wanted a few people to chime in on what they thought...really loving Canei Finch/J.Cole combo!
Old 13th May 2013
Here for the gear

Can't really speak on the other things.. But the high hats are really easy to emulate and there are numerous ways to get that hi-hat swing. You can either find hi-hat loops which are a dime a dozen with drum packs like croupe and the m-phazes kits. You can do it with 3-4 hi-hat samples multi level and shifting your hi-hats off the grid just a tad to get the swing. Or you can get and vst that has multi velocity's do the same..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search