The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Better to get MIDI Keyboard, Drum Pad or Controller, or Combo?
Old 30th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybanana View Post
i would recommend a keyboard over a pad controller simply because its much more versatile playing chords and stuff.

and you can drum very good on the keys too. besides the note-roll function some pad controllers offer but you can note roll in your DAW manually too with editing or plugins.

basically you dont need more than ableton and a keyboard to make some good stuff. Ableton offers lots of tools like sample editing in the way an MPC does.

you may find yourself beeing limited with your ableton version one day but for the beginning you will absolutely fine with this setup.

the miditech keyboards are cool and offer good price. or check out M-Audio.

the Maudio axiom 2gen is a reallly good controller and also good quality! im absolutely loving the axiom keys they are the best in this price range i think. you should get the Axiom 49 2cnd gen from all mentioned above.
There was no mention in this thread of getting a pad controller in place of a keyboard. The last thing the OP was trying to figure out was what pad controller to get to go alongside the Axiom he already picked up.
Old 1st May 2013
Thanks everyone. I will keep and learn off the axiom.

Petty or anyone, I contacted the company and the seller of the Maschine Mikro. Well I can get a link to get the sound kits of the mikro. And the drivers I can download for free aswell.
It is the first gen version (orange, not multi color light up pads).
I hear a lot of good reviews about it so I am wondering if it's a deal I should not pass up.
I can get it for only $100, when the cheapest I see it being sold (gen 1) for is $250 used. It goes for $310-350 new.
So I believe I could always resell it for even more, if it's not for me...?
So far from what dedicated pad controllers I have heard of in my price range and are good are the Korg PadKontrol ($75, but I think it may be sold already), Novation LaunchPad ($75 like new) and this Maschine Mikro ($100 like new), so which is best out of these?
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Started View Post
Thanks everyone. I will keep and learn off the axiom.

Petty or anyone, I contacted the company and the seller of the Maschine Mikro. Well I can get a link to get the sound kits of the mikro. And the drivers I can download for free aswell.
It is the first gen version (orange, not multi color light up pads).
I hear a lot of good reviews about it so I am wondering if it's a deal I should not pass up.
I can get it for only $100, when the cheapest I see it being sold (gen 1) for is $250 used. It goes for $310-350 new.
So I believe I could always resell it for even more, if it's not for me...?
So far from what dedicated pad controllers I have heard of in my price range and are good are the Korg PadKontrol ($75, but I think it may be sold already), Novation LaunchPad ($75 like new) and this Maschine Mikro ($100 like new), so which is best out of these?
As long as there is a way for you to get your hands on the Maschine's production software, then it would be a good deal. Without that software program, you will be limited to using the Maschine controller with other 3rd party software as a midi device, and that is not what people rave about when it comes to how great the Maschine is.
Old 2nd May 2013
The seller now found the software discs and all, and he is willing to deactivate the license so it can be transfered to the buyer. So yeah, it will work now. Well I was doing a little more research on the Mikro and what people seem most disappointed with the Mikro is that it has no slides/faders.

I just thought I might get the Mikro since most people do end up, upgrading their controller collection, and the Maschine being good and at a great price, wasn't sure if I grab it while it's here or not. Then again, I think the Axiom might be all I need for great beats still? Will something like the Maschine really improve beat making tremendously? (in regards to hardware/software features, not user skills)

Like I said, I am new so I don't even actually know what the faders really do and how much it does really matter if it has them or not? What do you think about this? But I also see that the Korg padKontrol and the Novation LaunchPad don't have them aswell, so...?

And thanks again Petty. Hah sorry if I get a little irritating essentially asking the same questions, I'm just trying to clarify and be certain.
I appreciate the help everyone!

EDIT: A couple more questions:
Can you use the sound kits that come with the maschine on different controllers, like assigning some of the sounds from the maschine software to another midi controller, like my axiom?
And can keys (as in the midi piano keyboard) also be assigned the same sounds you can assign to pads? Even clips (like those longer lasting notes/sounds or vocals)?

EDIT2:
Man, I was just looking through some producer drum kits...cost more than I had in mind (not saying they are not worth it), but now the Maschine Mikro for only $100 with the huge sound library has really got me thinking about getting it.

Let's say if I were to pass on the Maschine Mikro and solely stick with the Axiom, well I still need sounds, anyone know a good group of free sound kits I can download that are of good quality?

EDIT3:
I can also get a Akai MPK 49 keyboard with 12 pads for $200.
I can get this one and resell the Axiom for the $200, if the Akai is much better?
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

I have an m audio axiom 49 2nd gen. and although its a dope controller, it's bulky as hell and its impractical for a mobile setup.
Old 6th May 2013
Hi again, just saw a Korg Trinity keyboard (at least 61 keys) for only $200.
It's in great condition, I know they are a lot more expensive. I just don't know why other keyboard are so much more expensive, what makes them worth that much more?
Should I buy this? Or just stick with the Axiom keyboard?

And Petty, if you see this, or anyone, can you reply to my EDIT questions in post #34.
Thanks!
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

Old 6th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
The seller now found the software discs and all, and he is willing to deactivate the license so it can be transfered to the buyer. So yeah, it will work now. Well I was doing a little more research on the Mikro and what people seem most disappointed with the Mikro is that it has no slides/faders.

I just thought I might get the Mikro since most people do end up, upgrading their controller collection, and the Maschine being good and at a great price, wasn't sure if I grab it while it's here or not. Then again, I think the Axiom might be all I need for great beats still? Will something like the Maschine really improve beat making tremendously? (in regards to hardware/software features, not user skills)

Like I said, I am new so I don't even actually know what the faders really do and how much it does really matter if it has them or not? What do you think about this? But I also see that the Korg padKontrol and the Novation LaunchPad don't have them aswell, so...?

And thanks again Petty. Hah sorry if I get a little irritating essentially asking the same questions, I'm just trying to clarify and be certain.
I appreciate the help everyone!

EDIT: A couple more questions:
Can you use the sound kits that come with the maschine on different controllers, like assigning some of the sounds from the maschine software to another midi controller, like my axiom?
And can keys (as in the midi piano keyboard) also be assigned the same sounds you can assign to pads? Even clips (like those longer lasting notes/sounds or vocals)?

EDIT2:
Man, I was just looking through some producer drum kits...cost more than I had in mind (not saying they are not worth it), but now the Maschine Mikro for only $100 with the huge sound library has really got me thinking about getting it.

Let's say if I were to pass on the Maschine Mikro and solely stick with the Axiom, well I still need sounds, anyone know a good group of free sound kits I can download that are of good quality?

EDIT3:
I can also get a Akai MPK 49 keyboard with 12 pads for $200.
I can get this one and resell the Axiom for the $200, if the Akai is much better?
What software are you using for making beats at the moment? Maschine itself can be used to sequence midi and create beats too.
Old 6th May 2013
lol Vanilla. I know, I know...
Well I think by software you mean DAW? I am using Ableton Live 8 LITE (limited feature version)
I belive that also has/can be used for beats.
All equipment will only be used in the home studio, I won't be bringing them on gigs.
Old 7th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol Vanilla. I know, I know...
Well I think by software you mean DAW? I am using Ableton Live 8 LITE (limited feature version)
I belive that also has/can be used for beats.
All equipment will only be used in the home studio, I won't be bringing them on gigs.
What you should get next really depends on how you would like to work. I suggest checking out as many demos as you can to see which software you are feeling the most.

Starting off with Maschine can actually be of good help to you, as you can have pretty much all the beat making tools you need to get started with all in one place. Other good alternatives are FL Studio, Reason, or the full version of Ableton.

Again, it's my personal opinion that if you are going to use Maschine, use the controller with the software, and the software with the controller that was made for it. This will ensure you get the best experience out of using that package.
Old 7th May 2013
I appreciate you helping me out Petty. Even when you help others, I have seen you on different threads while doing research.

I will do a bit more research on the Maschine.
I think I might get it, unless someone can recommend a good sound kit for my Axiom?

I pretty much could use just the Axiom as long as I have good sounds.
The Maschine looks good, but looks more for DJing? I don't really need to trigger audio clips (like vocals), I pretty much just need/want to "finger drum" on pads and keys with just instrument sounds.

Off to do some more research before deciding.
Thanks once again everyone.
Old 8th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I appreciate you helping me out Petty. Even when you help others, I have seen you on different threads while doing research.

I will do a bit more research on the Maschine.
I think I might get it, unless someone can recommend a good sound kit for my Axiom?

I pretty much could use just the Axiom as long as I have good sounds.
The Maschine looks good, but looks more for DJing? I don't really need to trigger audio clips (like vocals), I pretty much just need/want to "finger drum" on pads and keys with just instrument sounds.

Off to do some more research before deciding.
Thanks once again everyone.
You have to make your choice on production software first before choosing what sound libraries to buy. The Axiom itself doesn't host any sounds, and doesn't sequence midi, which is part of the reason why it comes bundled with Ableton Live Lite.

Maschine in its own unique way mimics 'drum machine like' functionality and workflow. Similar to say a MPC, you can use it to trigger drum samples (audio clips) and sequence midi performances for drum and instrument sounds. Unlike a traditional hardware based MPC, it can load VST Instruments like Kontakt and SampleTank that host their own collection of sound libraries. This gives Maschine the ability to function as a full midi music production suite, in addition to being able to work as a supplement to the software one may already have.

You already have a midi sequencer, Ableton Live 8 Lite. My personal suggestion for someone just getting into computer based production would be to grab the PadKontrol, and continue messing around with what you already have, so you can learn all the basics. You will figure out what's best for you though as you continue to learn more from your research.
๐Ÿ“ Reply