The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix beat first or whole song? Modulation Plugins
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Head

Mix beat first or whole song?

Just wondering about some of the techniques your guys use. Normally, do you guys mix the beat first and then record the vocals on an mp3 or wav file and mix from there? Or do you mix everything all at once.

I am asking because within our group, either I make the beats or we make them as a team, and that whole process becomes pretty inconsistent.

It's 2am so I apologize if the wording is a little confusing haha...
Old 5th March 2013
It's always better to mix everything together. Get all the music and vocal tracks into one session whenever possible.
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear

The mix should be with everything together.

I work on beats first, and then record the vocals, but then I usually have to adjust the beats, change sounds, etc. to get the whole tune flowing.

Let's suppose you have made a good beat, but when mixing the vocals it doesn't work quite right, because the mix is a whole. Alone, the beats could be great, but everything change when adding the vocals, for example, the snare clashes with them, so you'll have to change the snare sound, or eq it, or whatever it takes to make the song work.

Or the groove could not be the ideal, so you move some kick drums to give it swing, etc.
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear

imo this is not only about mixing.
also you don't want to save all culprits for mixing, it's mixing, not fixing.

when composing, arranging, sound picking, keep in mind there will be raps in the end.
a beat needs to sound like there's something missing, during verses at least.

so i'd keep it sparse during verses, raps can take up much space, they're like a solo you don't want to fight but compliment.

use an acappella, or a couple different ones, when making beats to ref / test.
Old 5th March 2013
SFB
Gear Addict

quick mix the beat. But do the REAL mix with the vocals. Elements in the beat will always need to get adjusted once you introduce vocals into the mix.
Old 5th March 2013
Full track including vocals.

Also mp3's suck as for sound quality.

Posted via mobile device.
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Nut

What these guys said. I know sometimes I really get into a beat and start making mixing decisions. In those situations I still print the stems dry and listen to the "mixed" version of the beat for reference. A lot of times you want to maintain the vibe you created when you first sat down to program or record a track. This process can sometimes be made easier if you do your instrumentation and mixing in the same program. I use Logic so I just consolidate the beat and tracking sessions when its time to mix. If you use this method dont be afraid to print your midi tracks though. Having too many options can sometimes ruin a mix or just keep it from ever being finished. And lets face it, if you need to edit something you did within a plugin, just recall the track and reprint. One of the pros for digital recording/mixing...
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Head

I mix the beat first and limit the crap out of it. Bring in the vocals and etch away at the instrumentas to make room. Limit the vocals a bit and glue the 2 together with eq etc.
Old 5th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysProduce View Post
I mix the beat first and limit the crap out of it. Bring in the vocals and etch away at the instrumentas to make room. Limit the vocals a bit and glue the 2 together with eq etc.
This is probably the worst thing you can do, if you have an option. And how do you "etch away" at instruments if it's already mixed and limited?
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Nut

Yeah why would you limit it and then try and mix Vox on top of that?
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Nut

And then etch away at instruments? Lol do that in an initial mix.
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysProduce View Post
You aint playin!

This is what I used to do in the 80s with a cassette recording 95.5 WPGC radio, an old TEAC 10 band stereo EQ, and a SONY dual cassette deck.

We'd pretty much "etch" out what we didn't want, including vocals, and we would "remix" it.

Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear

i try to get the beat to sound good by itself but then after the vocals are laid i will remix everything but it does give me a good starting point.
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

Amigos, the vocals are usually the most important thing in a song, audience will focus on them, and the underlying groove (beats) should enhance it and give a strong rhythmic foundation. Not less important is the arrangement and the sounds used, you gotta keep listeners interested, you should develop the tune as a movie or something, the storyline should give the emotional message to people. So the mix needs to be perceived as a whole, so it has to be worked as a whole too. Technical perfection is good but without feeling, just doesn't work.

Now go and make your music with your brains and your hearts too!
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFB View Post
quick mix the beat. But do the REAL mix with the vocals. Elements in the beat will always need to get adjusted once you introduce vocals into the mix.
i agree 1000%
Old 6th March 2013
Gear Maniac

pre-mix while making beat, real mix w vox.
Old 6th March 2013
Its always best to mix the whole song as a unit. You need to mix the entire song together so you can fit the vocals into the song so they sit right in the pocket.

If you mix the beat first, the vocals will not fit as well as it would, if you mix them together.

CJ
Old 6th March 2013
Gear Nut

Of course you can polish your beat a bit so that the singer/rapper has an nice fundament for his performance. The main mix is of course with vocals.
Old 6th March 2013
Here for the gear

I've had instances where the beat was mixed by the producer, and the artist just layed his rap vocals sent to mastering - came out very polished.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search