The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting rid of the click/pop noise on deep synth bass
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Getting rid of the click/pop noise on deep synth bass

Im currently making presets for my software synths.My most important is DEEP synth bass.I can acheive the sound i want no prob but i always get stuck with a click/pop at the very begining of the bass sound or the very end.I mess with the envelopes but i just cant seem to get rid of it fully.Im using waves element and TAL uno.Is there a parameter im missing that gets rid of this???.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

up the attack?

edit: not familiar with those programs though.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

^ theres ya answer. and all synth programs have an envelope generator. even oscillator specific. trippy things there.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
up the attack?

edit: not familiar with those programs though.
Most of them have the same controls.What about the click at the end of the bass.Sorry to sound like this but its driving me crazy and interferes with other sounds in my beats.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Add a touch of Release to the amp envelope, too. That should make it so it still stops quickly, but not so suddenly it clicks.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikstrange View Post
Most of them have the same controls.What about the click at the end of the bass.Sorry to sound like this but its driving me crazy and interferes with other sounds in my beats.
I usually try to get rid of the pops by adjusting the attack and release. Sometimes you can't get the right punch though. In those cases I convert the midi to audio as soon as possible and then I can to a tiny little fad in/out that is about 1/32nd or 1/64th note in length. That usually does the trick while keeping the fullness of the sound
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealatosis View Post
...I convert the midi to audio as soon as possible and then I can to a tiny little fad in/out...
this.
Old 28th February 2013
KT1
Lives for gear

THis makes no sense. An envelope doesnt pop. Click is attack only, Provide audio pls.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

if there's DC offset you could get pre & post clicks/pops
see if a HPF makes them go away...
Old 28th February 2013
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
if there's DC offset you could get pre & post clicks/pops
see if a HPF makes them go away...
He said he s using soft synths. DC offset?
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

most vsti's i've 'tested' are loaded with DC...
Old 28th February 2013
....and most programs get rid of DC offset automatically, unless its disabled by the user. so DC offset is not the issue, most likely..

If its in the bass sound itself, Try fading them very fast and end and start the fades at a Zero Crossing. You may need to also use some sort of noise reduction tools, depending on each senerio.

CJ

There are also many other ways, but without being there and seeing whats going on, his is probably the easiest way
Old 28th February 2013
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
....and most programs get rid of DC offset automatically, unless its disabled by the user. so DC offset is not the issue, most likely..

If its in the bass sound itself, Try fading them very fast and end and start the fades at a Zero Crossing. You may need to also use some sort of noise reduction tools, depending on each senerio.

CJ

There are also many other ways, but without being there and seeing whats going on, his is probably the easiest way
This is also my understanding. But for it to be in the sound is also strange from a synth perspective. If its subtractive it could be within the waveform sample if its sampled.

What synth is it and please provide an audio snippet.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

I get these pops and clicks as well

Just tried out making some basslines and I got it with logics esm as well as arturias minimoog v..

How do I solve this ? =(
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddman View Post
I get these pops and clicks as well

Just tried out making some basslines and I got it with logics esm as well as arturias minimoog v..

How do I solve this ? =(
Guess i aint the only one LOL.Imma really dig deep and try to see if i can get rid of our prob.Ill report back soon.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
....and most programs get rid of DC offset automatically...
never heard that one before...
i think you are making that up.
what are these 'most programs' you speak of ?
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Use a super fast attack on the compressor
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondA View Post
Use a super fast attack on the compressor
it still clicks after the attack in the end of release kind of!
Old 1st March 2013
It might help to know exactly what synth your using along with screenshots of the UI.
The pop/click may be a parameter that was added purposely for that particular sound and may just be a quick knob turn to make it disappear.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Nut

Could also be a matter of latency. Try increasing your buffer length during playback.
Old 1st March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfed View Post
Could also be a matter of latency. Try increasing your buffer length during playback.
bingo.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
A lot of synths do this.

I want to know why. Is it simply starting a waveform in the middle of a cycle, and releasing at the end of a cycle? Like audio clips?

As far as I know, it only happens on pure waveforms.

For the synths that don't do this, is there some sort of aliasing going on or short auto envelope added for every trigger and release?
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Another idea
If the setting is mono try what happen when you set the sound to poly. With this setting a note won't CUT the note before and the release of the note before can play to the end while the next note already started to play. You probably have to reset the release of the amp-envelope to a lower setting (shorter release) cause you don't want the notes to overlap longer than just a few milliseconds.
If a note is still overlapping too much you'll hae to shorten the length of the MIDI note itself.

peace

@ smoke: yes I think it is because the wave will stop playing (sometimes because you've played it the way that the cycle doesn't hit a zerocrossing, sometimes cutted by the next note.
I can imagine that some synths that doesn't have the this issue are programmed in a way that a cycle will always be played till the end and therefore stop on a zero crossing no matter the length of the actual keypressing. And/Or there are minienvelopes on the amp attack and release

peace
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
Another idea
If the setting is mono try what happen when you set the sound to poly. With this setting a note won't CUT the note before and the release of the note before can play to the end while the next note already started to play. You probably have to reset the release of the amp-envelope to a lower setting (shorter release) cause you don't want the notes to overlap longer than just a few milliseconds.
If a note is still overlapping too much you'll hae to shorten the length of the MIDI note itself.

peace

@ smoke: yes I think it is because the wave will stop playing (sometimes because you've played it the way that the cycle doesn't hit a zerocrossing, sometimes cutted by the next note.
I can imagine that some synths that doesn't have the this issue are programmed in a way that a cycle will always be played till the end and therefore stop on a zero crossing no matter the length of the actual keypressing. And/Or there are minienvelopes on the amp attack and release

peace
This sounds about right! Still havent had time to dig deep into what it is but im gonna get into that right now.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
This sounds about right! Still havent had time to dig deep into what it is but im gonna get into that right now.
EFF ALL THIS! Imma install Trilian
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

A couple things come to mind knowing what you speak of:

1. Decrease the attack in the adsr envelope of the synth. The click is usually very short so if you delay the attack it may disappear.

2. Use a transient shaper plugin to lower the first 5-10ms of gain.

3. Use an eq to find the frequency range that is clicking. Probably around 1-5k is where I would start. If you really like the tone and shape of the bassline but just want to cut out the clicks, I would start with this idea.

4. Try a fancy de-clicker plugin like waves or izotope makes. Shouldn't be necessary but sometimes it's your last resort.
Old 1st April 2013
Here for the gear

I found this thread looking up the same question then i got bored of reading and realized it was my compressor settings.. this is probably an old thread but hey theres a possible solution. worked for me. it was the attack on the compressor causing the clip
Old 28th June 2015
Quote:
Im currently making presets for my software synths.My most important is DEEP synth bass.I can acheive the sound i want no prob but i always get stuck with a click/pop at the very begining of the bass sound or the very end.I mess with the envelopes but i just cant seem to get rid of it fully.Im using waves element and TAL uno.Is there a parameter im missing that gets rid of this???.Any help would be appreciated.
Glad I found this topic. I get these clicks on several synths both software and hardware: Tal-un-o-lx, pg-8x, massive and the eowave domino (biggest clicks of all four). These clicks happen on exactly deep basses. For example a 45% low passed sawtooth with a0 d30 s20 r30. On the hardware I get clipping both at beginning and when release is overlapping the next note. On the softsynths the latter happens more often.

Raising the attack unto the click away takes away the punch.

I've read the suggestions, will try try them but I thought that is a well known problem which can be solved easily. Increasing polyphony doesn't work btw.

Cheers!
Old 1st June 2016
Here for the gear

Depending on how your sub bass goes, mine for example is 2 notes for every 1/4 bar at 140BPM, the click disappeared when I shortened each MIDI note as before they were back to back with not enough space to breathe in-between. Also put a compressor on it (The default one in Logic with the Attack shortened to 2.5ms).

Hope that helps!
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

I also have this problem sometimes and never quite figured it out. Sometimes I have to really exaggerate the envelope to get rid of it which makes me think it's nothing to do with the envelope and something to do with sound engine or CPU? Literally no idea.
Also compressing it doesn't work.

In my case it seems to be post-channel. So click doesn't show on the channel.

Last edited by whoswho?; 2nd June 2016 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: Info.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search