The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting rid of the click/pop noise on deep synth bass
Old 3rd September 2016
Here for the gear

Sorry for resuming an old post, but i found an answer to this question and wanted to share this.
I was working on an FM sine bass with lowpass filter and had this clicks and pops between fast notes. I Found the the problem was the LFO: AT a rate of 1/4, playing notes shorter than 1/4 made pops and clicks. I bypassed this problem in SERUM increasing the Smooth parameter of the Lfo, but the only solution could be increasing the lfo speed when you play faster notes with DAW automation. (not very handy but..this is the only solution i found). Just to make you understand i was working on a sorta Bass House deep bass. I had the click even with long release and space between the notes. The only way to make it disappear was to make the lfo as fast as the fastest note played, but obviously the effect was not the one desired so the only way is automating the LFO, i think the click is made by the LFO not going back to the initial point, so all the modulations stop immediately (even with long release on the Env) and make the pop
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

KB reset. As it is called by Moog. This can sometimes clean up pops on bass sounds. It starts/resets the 2 separate osc waveforms from the same point in the wave every time you hit a key. So the end result is the attack is tighter and more consistent. It also can remove pops sometimes. A good way to test this is too turn off all but a single osc and see if the pops remain. Also the envelope attack and release times as mentioned. Bass doesn't always need a hard attack. Some of the funkiest basslines I've come up with automate the attack time on certain notes. It can give it a push/pull kind of feel if that makes sense.
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamizzolo View Post
Sorry for resuming an old post, but i found an answer to this question and wanted to share this.
I was working on an FM sine bass with lowpass filter and had this clicks and pops between fast notes. I Found the the problem was the LFO: AT a rate of 1/4, playing notes shorter than 1/4 made pops and clicks. I bypassed this problem in SERUM increasing the Smooth parameter of the Lfo, but the only solution could be increasing the lfo speed when you play faster notes with DAW automation. (not very handy but..this is the only solution i found). Just to make you understand i was working on a sorta Bass House deep bass. I had the click even with long release and space between the notes. The only way to make it disappear was to make the lfo as fast as the fastest note played, but obviously the effect was not the one desired so the only way is automating the LFO, i think the click is made by the LFO not going back to the initial point, so all the modulations stop immediately (even with long release on the Env) and make the pop
You might try having the LFO in question follow the keyboard tracking so that each note/pitch has a slightly different LFO rate. Might be easier or more organic then automating.
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

Don't know if anyone has said it, but this clicking on my massive subbass sound was driving me bananas. Go to 'voicing', set it to 1!
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

Was going crazy too! Go to 'voicing' tab, and on the left of that panel that becomes revealed under 'voicing' again, set 'MAX' to value 1!

Also, try taking out any 'pitch' etc.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
A lot of synths do this.

I want to know why. Is it simply starting a waveform in the middle of a cycle, and releasing at the end of a cycle? Like audio clips?

As far as I know, it only happens on pure waveforms.

For the synths that don't do this, is there some sort of aliasing going on or short auto envelope added for every trigger and release?
A lot of basses do this. The reasob why is to give great attack on the first transient. Sometimes I leave it there and if I want it out i add a fade at the beginning just enough to get rid if it. Funny thing is so.e pros add clicks to their tracks to give it a boost.

Now clicking in the back especially with audio when you play your sound at the end of the loop take the end of that midi bar and pull it back from the end. This will give it a smooth transition. This works with any sound.

I listened to Ushers album and the bass clicks and that album went ova 10 times platinum.
Old 3rd January 2017
roll of them high freqs, easy.
happens with all the synths.
Old 9th May 2017
Here for the gear

I had same problem and tried everything on synth,adsr,filters,phase etc and nothing waz getting rid of it..then i discovered it waz LFO Tool making it,i waz using it for sidechaining,u have to move the top right dot in LFO Tool just away from top edge a small bit and click went away
Old 6th December 2018
Here for the gear

I decided to register and post. @ musicmashane Thank you for solving my problem! Sometimes it's the unisono, under the voices tab, that can also cause the popping problem. In my case, it was the unisono so I matched it with the MAX and it fixed my problem. The popping problem was happening on MASSIVE. I've had it happen to me before, with a different preset, so I matched my release with the attack to fix the problem.
Old 2nd May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
A lot of synths do this.

I want to know why. Is it simply starting a waveform in the middle of a cycle, and releasing at the end of a cycle? Like audio clips?

As far as I know, it only happens on pure waveforms.

For the synths that don't do this, is there some sort of aliasing going on or short auto envelope added for every trigger and release?
I'm currently dealing with this right now.
Got a great bass arpeggio running in Arturia's Jupiter 8 V, and it has microscopic clicks on the attack of most notes. More pronounced on some, but it seems random.
Adjusting the attack of the adsr doesn't take it away completely, and only serves to make the attack gradual rather than instant.

It sounds like when you edit a wav in an editor and you cut the sound but not on a zero-cross point, so you get a short kinda amplitude speed-bump in the sound.
Definitely happens more on older VSTs, by accident, but also on some newer emulations of old gear, but is that also by accident ( aliasing ), or actually intentionally designed to be some quirk of old analogue ??

It's frustrating to have a flawless riff marred with microscopic pops that neither ADSR tweaks nor high pass filters will remove , without also neutering the potency of the cutoff too.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbinax View Post
I'm currently dealing with this right now.
Got a great bass arpeggio running in Arturia's Jupiter 8 V, and it has microscopic clicks on the attack of most notes. More pronounced on some, but it seems random.
Adjusting the attack of the adsr doesn't take it away completely, and only serves to make the attack gradual rather than instant.

It sounds like when you edit a wav in an editor and you cut the sound but not on a zero-cross point, so you get a short kinda amplitude speed-bump in the sound.
Definitely happens more on older VSTs, by accident, but also on some newer emulations of old gear, but is that also by accident ( aliasing ), or actually intentionally designed to be some quirk of old analogue ??

It's frustrating to have a flawless riff marred with microscopic pops that neither ADSR tweaks nor high pass filters will remove , without also neutering the potency of the cutoff too.
it's likely the arpeggio causing it in some way—clicks are caused when the waveform is being 'forced' to abruptly jump from one cyclic phase to another, so you may want to extend the release a bit. that being said, there are a number of different factors in terms of modulation that might also be causing it.
Old 8th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
it's likely the arpeggio causing it in some way—clicks are caused when the waveform is being 'forced' to abruptly jump from one cyclic phase to another, so you may want to extend the release a bit. that being said, there are a number of different factors in terms of modulation that might also be causing it.
Yeah I get that but usually my arpeggios are staccato with a short attack and short release, and if bass, set to mono so there's no run-over with notes not cutting each other.
The click always used to happen with me on free or very cheap (or) old VST synths, and I thought it was aliasing. Surprised ro hear it crop up in an arturia synth.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbinax View Post
Yeah I get that but usually my arpeggios are staccato with a short attack and short release, and if bass, set to mono so there's no run-over with notes not cutting each other.
The click always used to happen with me on free or very cheap (or) old VST synths, and I thought it was aliasing. Surprised ro hear it crop up in an arturia synth.
It's also highly possible that some of the Arturia models are intentionally "clicky"—I've had a lot of analogs that have clicky attacks, to be sure.

But again, even if it's monophonic and there's no note 'stealing', there can be issues with an oscillator being at a certain point in its phase, and then suddenly jumping to a different phase, which can cause a click. It's the same concept as not slicing a sample at a zero-crossing, essentially.
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear

roll it off with a low pass EQ!!??

I have the same issue. New to this myself.

But applied a low pass, cutting out the click. Seems to work ok for me
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search