The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ensoniq Mirage - WOW! Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
Ensoniq Mirage is Shiote. A horrible 1st stab from the dawn of the sampling era. Akai S950 wipes the floor with it. Ya want grimey? Process the outputs with one of the Bazillion Kajillion overdrive - distortion - Fuzz boxes that are available these days. Ensoniq did much better with subsequent instruments. Im glad you like yours, but honestly, its a fkin horrible mess. Have fun with it, tho. Before the disk drive breaks, or the LED screen goes black....
Hold on. I have an Ensoniq VFX and Ensoniq Mirage. The only reason I'm hesitating putting the Ensoniq Mirage back in the garage is because of the incredible "gangsa style" car subwoofer shakin' drum sounds. I mean it's sounds just like a perfect rumble. If the rap hip hop artist can figure out the interface (have to print out a parameter sheet) and keep sampling stuff they would hit gold. You would have a huge gangsta rumble that you already can't get from the Ensoniq VFX, which sounds like a beast in the drums dept but just aint got it. My Mirage has survived repeated moves, being banged around, kept in a cold garage many moons (years) and never had an issue. I recapped it anyways. There is a YT video where this guy does some good drums on the mirage. But you have to find and print the parameter sheet or you'll be confused. My style of drums is Industrial (like Front 242) and the Emu Procussion does a much better job (and I'm perfectly happy to modify presets on the Procussion) so I'm not using the Mirage much. But it's just a tool and has it's place if you use it the right way.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geob View Post
Hold on. I have an Ensoniq VFX and Ensoniq Mirage. The only reason I'm hesitating putting the Ensoniq Mirage back in the garage is because of the incredible "gangsa style" car subwoofer shakin' drum sounds. I mean it's sounds just like a perfect rumble. If the rap hip hop artist can figure out the interface (have to print out a parameter sheet) and keep sampling stuff they would hit gold. You would have a huge gangsta rumble that you already can't get from the Ensoniq VFX, which sounds like a beast in the drums dept but just aint got it. My Mirage has survived repeated moves, being banged around, kept in a cold garage many moons (years) and never had an issue. I recapped it anyways. There is a YT video where this guy does some good drums on the mirage. But you have to find and print the parameter sheet or you'll be confused. My style of drums is Industrial (like Front 242) and the Emu Procussion does a much better job (and I'm perfectly happy to modify presets on the Procussion) so I'm not using the Mirage much. But it's just a tool and has it's place if you use it the right way.
Front 242...mmmm Emulator 2.

The 8 bit sounds from an Emulator II and a Mirage sounded different.

The Mirage was much grainier....(but to me in a good way).

I have a Procussion too...Nice, but it's not a sampler.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Ensoniq Mirage is Shiote. A horrible 1st stab from the dawn of the sampling era. Akai S950 wipes the floor with it. Ya want grimey? Process the outputs with one of the Bazillion Kajillion overdrive - distortion - Fuzz boxes that are available these days. Ensoniq did much better with subsequent instruments. Im glad you like yours, but honestly, its a fkin horrible mess. Have fun with it, tho. Before the disk drive breaks, or the LED screen goes black....
I personaly dont like the Akai s950. Its ringing sound makes it a no go in every situation ive tried it. Some people loved it a lot back in the days and still today with the lo-fi wave but it personally made me put some of my records aside when I finally heard that typical Akai ringing on some records I used to love. Knowledge can make horrible thing some time :(
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I personaly dont like the Akai s950. Its ringing sound makes it a no go in every situation ive tried it. Some people loved it a lot back in the days and still today with the lo-fi wave but it personally made me put some of my records aside when I finally heard that typical Akai ringing on some records I used to love. Knowledge can make horrible thing some time :(
If you know how to use the filtering circuits, there is no ringing...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mirage is a piece of Junk. Glad you like yours. Like i said before, If I need rumble and dirt, things can be processed in the analog domain with stompboxes.

This whole "Lo Fi" hip hop fad reminds me of the "Lo Fi" alt rock recording fad about 20 years ago with cassette tapes and 4 track recorders. The only difference is that today things can be processed much more quickly and effectively, with a greater sound palette, in the box or with stompboxes.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Mirage is the equal to Mad Max of all post apocalyptic movies...if that helps...it wipes the Floor far and wide with any of the Akais ever produced...exempt the MPC60...
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Mirage is a piece of Junk. Glad you like yours. Like i said before, If I need rumble and dirt, things can be processed in the analog domain with stompboxes.

This whole "Lo Fi" hip hop fad reminds me of the "Lo Fi" alt rock recording fad about 20 years ago with cassette tapes and 4 track recorders. The only difference is that today things can be processed much more quickly and effectively, with a greater sound palette, in the box or with stompboxes.
say what you want.

Btw in this Mirage video YouTube at 24:35 I heard the exact (and I mean exact) same cascading bells used in Pink Floyds album The Division Bell. Those cheaters! I always thought I was listening to real bells.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I pull my Mirage out every once in a while. It has character, big. I still love that I can import those sounds into the EPS series samplers. For my money, ASR really is the starting point for Ensoniq Samplers. This is my new conclusion. The rest of the Ensoniq machines are great samplers but, the ASR has(potentially) a ton more memory & a lot more effects.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
I pull my Mirage out every once in a while. It has character, big. I still love that I can import those sounds into the EPS series samplers. For my money, ASR really is the starting point for Ensoniq Samplers. This is my new conclusion. The rest of the Ensoniq machines are great samplers but, the ASR has(potentially) a ton more memory & a lot more effects.
I remember in high school playing through all the factory disk (at least 30 of them) and remember being surprised by the realism of the instruments but was totally turned off by the boring trumpet/horn/brass/guitar etc sounds. I listened to the orchestra playing in high school and that was enough for me. Later I threw out all the disks except for the OS so I could still boot it up. Now I realize the mistake. The factory disks did sound good and the sampling sucks so I could never re-create them. It samples with additional noise added maybe needs a new op-amp or something. Anyways, that was my experience and I remember reading all the ads about the ASR-10 and wishing I could have that one.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I remember in high school playing through all the factory disk (at least 30 of them) and remember being surprised by the realism of the instruments but was totally turned off by the boring trumpet/horn/brass/guitar etc sounds. I listened to the orchestra playing in high school and that was enough for me. Later I threw out all the disks except for the OS so I could still boot it up. Now I realize the mistake. The factory disks did sound good and the sampling sucks so I could never re-create them. It samples with additional noise added maybe needs a new op-amp or something. Anyways, that was my experience and I remember reading all the ads about the ASR-10 and wishing I could have that one.
I was using an EPS & EPS16 as my main setup. Recently I acquired the ASR10(I had one years ago). Having all those extra effects & The ability to not be strapped for memory when sampling/layering stuff is such a nice place to be. Now I run the ASR & EPS16 as my setup. I have the EPS & Mirage for 13 & 8 bit sampling, as needed. Looking back to when i began acquiring these machines, the ASR10 should have been the first. Especially when relying on a machine to do the bulk of your work.
Desert Island scenario, give me a fully expanded ASR10 & EPS Classic. That would cover the most bases for me.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
I was using an EPS & EPS16 as my main setup. Recently I acquired the ASR10(I had one years ago). Having all those extra effects & The ability to not be strapped for memory when sampling/layering stuff is such a nice place to be. Now I run the ASR & EPS16 as my setup. I have the EPS & Mirage for 13 & 8 bit sampling, as needed. Looking back to when i began acquiring these machines, the ASR10 should have been the first. Especially when relying on a machine to do the bulk of your work.
Desert Island scenario, give me a fully expanded ASR10 & EPS Classic. That would cover the most bases for me.
You see, as a composer myself, i'd put the ASR as my last sequencer in the ensoniq list ( with the ASR-X ) and thats only because its overheating and you lose everything you did after 3 hr because it just crash. On the other hand, if you want a very versatile sound , then go with the EPS 16+ for the sampling rate. Now, if you want effects and a all around great sound where you can actually distort the input then YEAH go with the ASR-10.
I just find it interesting that all of them are so far from each others.

Thats my point of view.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
You see, as a composer myself, i'd put the ASR as my last sequencer in the ensoniq list ( with the ASR-X ) and thats only because its overheating and you lose everything you did after 3 hr because it just crash. On the other hand, if you want a very versatile sound , then go with the EPS 16+ for the sampling rate. Now, if you want effects and a all around great sound where you can actually distort the input then YEAH go with the ASR-10.
I just find it interesting that all of them are so far from each others.

Thats my point of view.
We probably are looking at the same equation from completely opposite directions. I get frustrated with my EPS16. I love it, don't get me wrong. It just runs out of memory so fast. &, though it isn't necessarily a selling point to me, the capability to stereo sample does come in handy. I agree that they are all so different from one another. That's why they are so tough to part with, even if they barely see any use. I keep looking at the ASR-X. I suppose that I'll pick one up, some day. I'm more of a keys composer. It would be fun to play with!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search