The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG C214 for Rap Vocals
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonJukx View Post
Its a bit bright for me as well... decent low end but the high can be a bit "piercing", it sounds better on females but isn't unusuable on males. I'm a bit on the fence about keeping it or not, seeing how its playing the role of my main vocal mic.

Sent from my LG-C729
If you did replace it, which mic would you lean towards? I'm thinking about a tube mic or a FET mic with a transformer output. Maybe a Rode K2 or Mojave 201 FET.
Old 15th February 2013
I'm probably going to keep it for female vocals, and get one of my cheaper mxl mics modded and use it for male vocals

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 15th February 2013
Quote:
I'm probably going to keep it for female vocals, and get one of my cheaper mxl mics modded and use it for male vocals

Sent from my LG-C729
V67G >>> U87 Mod from JJAudio. Hit up Langston
Old 15th February 2013
Already spoke to him, I'm sending my mxl off tommorrow

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 18th February 2013
Quote:
for the past few months i've been trying out different LDC's in search of a new main vocal mic for rap and r&b vox... I now have the AKG c214. Before purchasing it i couldnt find many examples of it being used for rap... and the examples i did find were raw and not sitting in a mix (rendering them virtually useless). So... in case your like me and like to hear a mic "in action" i recorded a quick short track and put a rough mix on it... lemme know what you think of it, and if you have questions about the mic feel free to ask...

chain: AKG C214 > Focusrite ISA One > Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 > Adobe Cs6 (DAW)

Now I feel comfortable buying this mic, I was going to buy a mojave 201 fet because that was the only mic I was really confident in from a newbie perspective so you just saved me $300-400. I'm too broke for the 201 but I didn't want to risk bad audio.

You have good style by the way.
Old 18th February 2013
Thanks bro, I just literally finished doing a "trap" song with the C214 it came out great... I do think the mic is great but I plan to ultimately buy another mic, not sure if would keep this mic as my "only mic", but I def plan to keep it

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 19th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
Curious to hear your opinion, drop a yay or nay for me after you put it through the paces? I've been trying to see if its recommendable for a few of my clients home setups (basically; will I be able to mix the fu*ckin thing lol)
Okay I am just getting around to playing with this mic tonight. A couple of first impressions....

It is sensitive to the room, preamp setting, and mic placement. I didnt realize how spoiled I was until I had to fidget around with dials and distance. My other fool around with ish at home mic is not sensitve to these things at all, by comparison. It also cost about 5x what this mic does though.

When I first passed sound through it I wanted to call it Insta-Meth. Because it made me instantly sound like Method Man. This was VERY COOL until I realized I was reading an excerpt of a childrens book.

There seems to be a dip in the mids. Maybe 1k or so? Any mic with a dip in the mids, makes my voice sound scooped. These mics tend to work well when I sing falsetto or something during a test. My voice is already too weird and nasal for a mic with any kind of mid dip.

This mic works really well on a female voice. I had another mid dipped mic that did this as well.

You need some decently powerful midrange in your voice to make this one go. More than I have. The OP sounds 400x better than I do on this mic. Maybe 4000x. Compared to how I sound, the OP has the most amazing vocal take in the history of vocals.

Method Man would sound great on this mic. I was able to get a grimey Wu style vocal going on, with close mic proximity and the wrong preamp settings. (not on purpose)

About 10 minutes into testing it, I jumped to some errant conclusions, based on my own jacked up settings and mic positioning. Thus, I decided it was going up for sale. I actually like this mic now that I figrued it out a bit. It has a somewhat unique signature. Im still going to sell it though. I am way too undisciplined to rock this mic. I kind of want to keep it for female vox. If it doesn't sell, I wont be too bent out of shape. If you have emcees that you find it necessary to dip around 2k or so, this may be perfect for them. It has some proximity effect biz going on, so they can work the mic to get more percieved lows and all that good stuff. Something from AT might work better on me. Maybe a 4050 or something like that, which doesnt have such a pronounced signature. I could see this mic sounding really cool on the right voice though.
Old 19th February 2013
I actually just posted a song I started today in the official "rate my mix/music" thread... check it out when u can... I agree with everything u said about the mic... but I have kind of a NYC raspy voice so... it kind of works for me lol. I'm investing in something else the momment but I think I'm going to keep it around for specific purposes

Sent from my LG-C729
๐Ÿ“ Reply