The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rap & Hip Hop Building Blocks (a question for e-cue and others)
Old 8th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler
to me the most creative hip-hop out there is madlib/quasimoto/madvillany...
he finds the most obscure ****, puts it all together, never any generic stock crap drumhits.

and i had an ensoniq ASR-10 for about 4 years and then the motherboard blew up on me. I would look for an MPC, much more stable and they are still in business.
Yeah, but how many times has an MPC's screen got to go? They should do like the s3000xl and put a dimmer on the screen!

Peace out,

BaseJase
ILLYnoise
Old 8th May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue

It's not something that's easy to dance to. Might be cool if you are b boying, but if the regular people can't dance to it, it's not getting mainstream club air-play. I'd love to hear some of the 'underground acts' dumb their drums down patternwise and let the rest of the track breath a little.
LOL you'll be amazed what people will dance on
sometimes the weirdest drumtrack will sort of do a "click" in their minds
IMO a lot of hiphop lost its fresh approach. GM Flash didn't follow rules!!
to my ears a lot of "new" things are downright boring. Please don't make more (same) boring things. (I hope e-cue, that is not what you meant)
anyway f*ck mainstream airplay in the States. If you aim for that it will kill your tunes... They're just following yesterdays music anyway. (just my 2¢)

I agree fully with above statements that most of the secret is in the arrangement. If the samples are no good (below average) it will not rock either.

EDIT> Ok, this sounds a bit negative, must have been the flow yesterday
for what its worth, also I really like modern mainstream hiphop, but there should be more adventurous productions, no dissin anybody, just coming from a less commercially focused background..
Old 8th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise
Yeah, but how many times has an MPC's screen got to go? They should do like the s3000xl and put a dimmer on the screen!
Bah.. mine has been messed up for a minute now, but i am used to it now..
don't really have to look at the screen too much.
what's it cost to get a new screen anyways ?

Old 8th May 2005
no ssl yet
cue

Cue I'm rocking sampletank2. (JUst forget the 2 sometimes.) mach 5 is pretty cool when doing giga ****.

I just dont like doing my drums from soft samplers. I'm thinking of adding either a MPC4k or a z8 (same sample engine 24bit) so that I can have access to a full library of drums every time i turn on my set up with no waiting. I like using my 2k but I think something better will help. (I may just add a HD to my 2k)

I man I'm deciding. since most drum libraries are 16 bit, I could use a s5000 and have 16 outputs. That might be awsome for doing mults

I think I want the whole drag and drop from inside the computer thing. and I gotta decide either 24bit/8 outs/512mb (MPC4k/z8) or 16 bit 16 outs 256 MB S5000 (for half the cost)
Old 9th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitt
what's it cost to get a new screen anyways ?

Dunno...call up Forat on Ventura Blvd. And get your MPC hot-rodded with the raised pads while you're at it...
Old 9th May 2005
Someone was saying they heard madlib is using tape...

He only used tape on the first quas record. Everything else- extremely crappy digital after that on the front end.

He's the lee scratch of digital. It's all sp-303, korg dps, roland vs-880. Then to protools 50% of the time. That's all. Belee dat.

But he does have a ton of real rhodes, crumar, arp, upright bass, moog, RMI, D6, vinyl, african percussion...

Makes you think you're hearing something real real old...
Old 9th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless
Maybe a new thing? Every time I do a session with jermaine it's an original MPC60 wiith the 300 memory upgrade. I know because they are almost impossible to rent in LA and its a lot of ork to find one. I also know because of how easily they crash if they are being sent beat clock. I did a session with him wher Roland came and brought in a roland box for him to try out (there was an issue because e assumed they were jsut givng it to him, and they assumed the opposite). Maybe he is using it now for hihats? It wasn't too long ago though (the 7up flava in ya ear commercial).

Every producer I work with has a stock set of sounds they have collected through other people. They use them to death, then decide they need new sounds, find some new ones and repeat/rinse. But I have yet to see anyone using stock libraries (that isn't to say the sounds they end up with didn't originat from stock libraries).

jermaine uses the new roland mv-8000 i beleive
Old 9th May 2005
Lives for gear

as for the source samples, that'd down to whatever you want for the track, but i can say - get an old cheap e-max mk1 which is 12bit e-mu the same as an SP but WAY cheaper, same curtis chips, real analog filters etc, (there is an SP drum disk for it btw, albeit limited with not many drum sounds)

sample your drum sounds into the e-max either from your PC library by connecting the soundcard to the e-max in's, or direct from a source straight to the e-max... they always sound SO much better than a modern sampler, partly cos the converters are so good on those old e-max's (way better than you'll get on any sampler now imo), and partly cos the 12bit just gives it something more raw and upfront, but in a side by side comparisons with a 16 bit sampler from akai s1000 onwards for example? ... no contest - the trusted old e-max wins every time!.. you gotta hear that sound!... so ****in raw and upfront!

for example, if you record snares from a mic/pre/mixer direct into the e-max the output is amazingly raw.

the other good thing with the e-max mk1 is that it's easy to use the downsampling and record loops at lo rates to get those nasty but classic old ruffcut alaising loops at 11k or 15k etc, Dre style.

they are ludicrously cheap now i've seen em as low as 150 quid in the Uk in LOOT, but usualy they a bit more, mebbe 200-250 quid - I'd never sell mine!

it's true about mpc sequncers to some extent (it's easy to get grooves), but i setup a PC system recently for some guy who only had an MPC & was doing hiphop, and he was saying how you cant get jay-z or whoever style beats any other way than an MPC so that's why he bought it.

He didnt know the groove teplate bit of Logic tho, so i sampled a 1-bar rhythm loop from a jay-z cd he had into logic, trimmed it just right, then filtered out the bottom-end and created a midi quantise template from the audio loop working off the remaining top-end audio... hats/shakers etc.

then we filtered out the top-end and created another quantise template from the bottom-end groove (kiks & snare/claps, bass etc)

then I did him a quick new 'jay-z' style/feel beat from scratch, using new drum samples/battery VSTi & a new bassline using the ESM synth in logic by applying the created quantise to the new patterns

he was totaly gutted cos it only took about 2 minutes & had exactly the same groove but with a totaly different drum & bass pattern - lol
Old 1st August 2005
Welcome to August 2005!
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear
Ive had good experience w/ banginbeats.com I was needing some thick snares and they delivered. I always layer 2-3 snares per song, so everyting sounds distinct. I realy like the thick and crackin snares and try very hard to avoid the 909 claps..which are very overused
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

I found a bunch of drum samples on an old Pro Tools IV system. Acoustic drums. Single hits with extremely long decays. I am just wondering if anyone knows: do these things come standard with Pro Tools? Do you use them? Do you like them? I would think that natural long decays and variety of types of hits on the same drum in the same room would be sick for making loops - maybe not in HipHop, but in Drum&Bass or some other genre. But I don't have a lot of experience... What do y'all think?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Vinyl Digging is still the best way, layering and thickness!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I gotta say I've fell in love with Fruity Loops for triggering drum samples. I import every drum sample I buy and "borrow" and can get my hands on into it's library. The way it's layed out I can layer multiple hits, twist, process and level adjust them individually and output them to a single (or stereo) track in SX. Or if I'm mixing on the digital board instead of ITB it puts up to 16 discreet stereo pairs directly into the console. As it stands now I've got hundreds of kicks, snares etc. in the library.

It swings pretty nicely too. I put down Battery and a lot of other drum methods when I started using FL. Great program. People with MPC's usually freak out when they see how easy it is to program a fat drum track.

Running it as a VSTI in SX it's pretty easy to adust the feel by pushing or holding a part or two back by a few milliseconds here or there. Great drum program for most any style of music assuming you have quality samples.

Lawrence
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

an MPC IMHO is a must have. I own a Mo' Phatt, Roland XV5050, Audity 2000 and Triton Extreme and I'm sellin the Triton for an MPC. I just gotta have it.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:

Wassup fellow DUC member....
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Here's a sample of a beat I did in Fruity Loops just screwing around. No artist in mind, not writing a song just putting together a drum beat and a simple bass line. No spice, no synths, just bass and drums all inside of FL5. Bass line is a little stiff and would have to be played midi or by a real bass player.

I used a couple of ren comps but all the eq and fx are built into FL. Normally I'd grab a artist/singer/rapper and just see if he or she feels it and develop it based on what they do vocally. Layered kicks, snares and hats.

I'd use the Proteus 2000, X5DR, maybe some live instruments and other soft synths to build it up if I were gonna develop it.

Lawrence

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search