The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No Akai S1000 kb love? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

No Akai S1000 kb love?

I've never seen one of these until tonight and was wondering how come it wasn't as popular as other akai samplers. Does it sequence?
Attached Thumbnails
No Akai S1000 kb love?-akas1000kb01a.jpg   No Akai S1000 kb love?-s1000kb.jpg  
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

I didnt even know they made this...why is it so big??
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Now that I found a better pic it doesn't look like it sequences.
Old 10th December 2012
Here for the gear

That thing looks bigger than an EIII. I thought I knew about Akai samplers but I've never seen this either.

Sent from my EVO
Old 10th December 2012
Dor
Lives for gear

The S1000KB was a nice big keyboard version of this mega-sampler. It featured a 61-note keyboard with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity and room for an 80MB hard disk. SCSI and digital interfaces were available on both keyboard and rack versions. Other variations include the S1000PB playback-only unit and the S1000HD with its built-in 40MB hard disk.

Following the S1000 came the S1100 (1990) which boasted up to 32MB of sampling with 24-bit internal processing! Also on-board were a SCSI interface, digital effects, AES/EBU digital output, SMPTE reader/gen, and optional hard-disk recording.
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post

The S1000KB was a nice big keyboard version of this mega-sampler. It featured a 61-note keyboard with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity and room for an 80MB hard disk. SCSI and digital interfaces were available on both keyboard and rack versions. Other variations include the S1000PB playback-only unit and the S1000HD with its built-in 40MB hard disk.

Following the S1000 came the S1100 (1990) which boasted up to 32MB of sampling with 24-bit internal processing! Also on-board were a SCSI interface, digital effects, AES/EBU digital output, SMPTE reader/gen, and optional hard-disk recording.
So Akai never had a sequencing keyboard?
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

A keyboard version of the s950 that had the MPC60 sequencer in it woulda been boss
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Nut

i think way back there was a yo mtv raps interview with brand nubian where they used it...
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeojesus View Post
i think way back there was a yo mtv raps interview with brand nubian where they used it...

The S1000kb got no love because it was too freaking big.

When people started really using midi, they were buying modules.

Around the time Roland JD990's were fresh on the scene and the akai s1000's were being sold by the rack full lol.

I swear I want another S1000. It reminds me of the sound of PE and Madonna records, But I'm scared I'll run into the high pitched whine that they make over time.
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Nut

..yeah the high pitch wine comes from the little power transformer that feeds the display backlight..it oscillates, but does not bleed intop the audio outs..though very annoying...had mine exchanged back in ´95/´96..no problem ever since
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeojesus View Post
..yeah the high pitch wine comes from the little power transformer that feeds the display backlight..it oscillates, but does not bleed intop the audio outs..though very annoying...had mine exchanged back in ´95/´96..no problem ever since
do you still use yours?
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

I think the reason it gets no love is that it is huge and doesn't have a sequencer so it's only really good as a complement to another sampler. My main reason for never buying one is when I do see a cheap one, there is always a bunch of other interesting 16 bit samplers around at the same time, often from the same person.
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

The rack offers the exact same thing as the kb (minus keybed) usually racks have button, screen or general layout differences but with the s1000 thats not the case so why spend more just to use up more space?
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
do you still use yours?
yeah, I do..it was my first sampler and first professional piece of gear. I bought it used back then..and it still was expensive as hell...all maxed out to 32mb ram...paid around 4500$..1mb of ram was about 60-70$..crazy

I use it today along with my sp1200 and s950
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

anyone have schematics for this thing?
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear Addict

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of using an older 16-bit sampler, in 2014, versus just keeping to 8/12-bitters and newer stuff. Yes, I know the S1000/1100 library was crazy.
Old 23rd January 2014
SEED78
I'm adventurous with vintage kit, but the 1000KB is WAY WAY to big for what it does. I'd rather have a ASR10 or Emax even - different vibes but still.

I love the s1000 rack sampler btw! option overlooked but prices are climbing.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
I'm trying to figure out the purpose of using an older 16-bit sampler, in 2014, versus just keeping to 8/12-bitters and newer stuff. Yes, I know the S1000/1100 library was crazy.
There is quite a bit of range in 16 bit samplers in how they sound, for good or for bad. Not unlike how interfaces have improved quite a bit, especially on the low end over the last 15 years or so (not really familiar with anything earlier than that, not that I have been even doing it for that long, but many products back then had a 3-5 year life span). Even my S2000 rack sounds quite different than my interface and I wouldn't say it's a sampler with a ton of character.
Old 6th April 2019
Lots of S1000KB love around here, I've had it for a couple of days only. Today I'm mr. Repairman, trying to wake up the disk drive.

Recorded early this morning;

While the rack format was extremely popular for samplers back in the day, it must be said that having the keyboard version of the S-1000 instantly made it feel like a completely different instrument, hands on, easy to use and very fun to play. This particular S-1000 KB has been owned by the euro pop legend E-type and the diskdrive does currently not work. Therefore, I programmed three patches (that I can't save) which uses the four internal waveforms of the machine. Adding these was a brilliant move by Akai and I am sending my thanks for this. The patches were programmed as three programs with two samples per key group, thus making the programs 8 note polyphonic. The synthesizer engine may be limited (the filter is non resonant for instance) but it is none the less highly musical and exciting to befriend. I'm calling this improvised musical passage "Akaiada".
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

The SCSI-2-SD boards work really well in those units. I have a v.6 board in my S1000—definitely one of my favorite samplers.
Old 6th April 2019
Yes, for this one I hope I can get the floppy back on track but if not I will go for the floppy replacement route as this one doesn't have scsi installed. As I use software & even other hw samplers as well I have no particular need for extra memory etc - it's got 4 Mb which will be perfectly OK here.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

are you sure there's no SCSI internally in it? That's a little surprising.
Old 7th April 2019
Ok, no I'm not sure but there are two free expansion slots, so I think there's no scsi board. And the floppy drive has been cleaned and looks great but will not read disks, it just spins up briefly and gives an error message.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

is there an external scsi connector on the back of it? you can buy an external scsi2sd board from chickensys.
Old 7th April 2019
Here for the gear
I have three Akai S1100's and an Akai S1000. Rack versions. I bought them all up when everyone was drooling over the S950's. The S950 has a better filter but I prefer the sound, effects, memory, and power of the Akai S1100 and just bought a few external analog filters to make up for the lost feature. I replaced the transformer in one of them, posted about it in another thread, but need to follow up and share my results.

Beautiful playing Bitley. Amazing that you created that with the internal waveforms. You're using external effects?

There's something special about these things. They cost many thousands of dollars brand new. They are huge and heavy and built like tanks. I feel like I'm working with professional medical lab equipment.
Old 8th April 2019
Absolutely! Space lab equipment! Many thanks. FX processing & recording was done with Reason.
Old 8th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
is there an external scsi connector on the back of it? you can buy an external scsi2sd board from chickensys.
Ok, no as I'm in Sweden I think a floppy USB thing will be more relevant but no rush
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
Ok, no as I'm in Sweden I think a floppy USB thing will be more relevant but no rush
You could also just pick up a SCSI board for it on ebay—there's one there now for $50.

The SCSI2SD option is a bit more expensive than a floppy USB emulator, but in my experience, it's completely worth it.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense_A View Post
Beautiful playing Bitley. Amazing that you created that with the internal waveforms.
Agreed! Gorgeous work.

I imagine the KB version sort of takes that sampler to another level completely. I'd LOVE to have one of those, though I don't have the space and I never see them for sale.

Also—you likely know this, but you can still record samples and make your own programs with them, despite not being able to save them (so you're not stuck strictly with the OSC waveforms).
Old 8th April 2019
Hehe, I absolutely know this yes Sampling has also taken place, fun as always. Many thanks for your kind words guys and thanks for the tip on going for SCSI>SD, I have that in my Korg Triton and it works great so that might be an idea but I think the USB solution is much easier to install; no need to measure how long a flat cable is needed and whatnot.

The S1000KB will not be my main sampler by any means, just a fun machine for small and short samples & long Youtube videos.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search